Health and Wellness : Natural hair Help!!!! T_T

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by IntelligentNoire, Jan 8, 2012.

1. IntelligentNoire

IntelligentNoire Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +148
    Ok. So I have been natural for going on four years now and the most I have done with my hair is rock a fro, afro puffs and various styles of hair braiding and extentions. I've done this because , well I am over whelmed by my hair. So recently I've been viewing tutorials on youtube to try an get an idea of really nice natural do's that don't require extentions ect. There was one in particular that I really liked called a twist out. I followed the video instruction, washed, wet, conditioned, and twist my hair. The next day I was so happy because I thought I would get this kinky stylish do going but that's not what happened. Instead my hair is strait. Sigh I don't know what to do. The only time my hair will kink is if I don't twist and let it air dry, but if I do more then that it becomes strait. Any suggestion on what I can do to get the kinky twist out look. Right now my hair looks as if I used a blow dryer on it.

My hair texture is a really coarse wavy and it dries really easily which also sucks big time. If anyone can offer advice on how to achieve this look with my odd hair type, I'd appreciate it. =)

2. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Can you give me an example or a picture of someone with your hair type? Maybe I can give you a tip.

3. IntelligentNoire

Ratings:
    +148
    I'll try to find someone. I. Let me look a bit. Thanks for replying. =)

4. IntelligentNoire

Ratings:
    +148
    Ok. here is a pic, but I don't know if it's bright enough to see my hair type. Let me know if you need another. =/

[​IMG]

5. rapunzal24

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Hmmm, from this pic it looks very similar to my hair. Is this how it looks after the twistout?

6. IntelligentNoire

Ratings:
    +148
    No this is how it looks after I let it air dry. With twist out it becomes strait which is my problem. =/

7. rapunzal24

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Did you twist them tight or were they kind of loose? Also, was your hair completely dry when you undid them, and did you use any type of product when you were twisting?

8. IntelligentNoire

Ratings:
    +148
    I twisted them s tight as I possibly could. The only product I used was this leave in conditioner called Tangle Taming Leave in conditioner. It's supposedly for all hair types.

9. rapunzal24

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    The only thing I can think of is try using natural oils or 100% shea butter, shea butter is really good for a twist. Also, make sure it is completely dry before you untwist, and try wearing the twists for two or three days before you take them out. It may give it more definition. The biggest thing is making sure that you twist the hell out of it. Also, when you undo the twist be careful how you take it out, try not to disturb it, just untwist from bottom to top. I usually wear a twist out for a couple of days and then when I get in the shower I make it really hot, and that is how I get my fro, so be careful when you are showering because you know what the heat does. Hope this helps, and I hope you can continue to find new ways to rock your natural.:)

10. candeesweet

candeesweet Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    Hello IntelligentNoire,
    Looks like you got hair like me. Tight curls but prone to frizziness! Now I wear one strand twist which is not good for untwisting cause it just goes to frizz! Now when I get it two strand twisted it's great to take out and have wonderful individual twist "curls". I have to use some type of setting component in order to hold the curl once I take them out. I know we "ALL natural Beauties" hate that but that's our world of being able to do whatever we want from a-z and get back to frowing it at the same time.llol.
    Anywho, setting lotion if ya hate gel and when you 2 strand use it. Cause conditioner, shea butter will not set it for the style you want it. Sit under a dryer to hold the style better. Wear for until it's completlely dry or for a couple of days. When you ready to take them out, untwist the individual two strands with your fingers the opposite ways until it falls out on its own. Ya might have to force it just a little as you get to the end of the two strand but that's it! When finished lightly style it(assuring to keep your curls in tact)!
    Two strand and setting components is my key! Taking it down down delicatly is important!