Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Natural hair and dreds are a real no-no!

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by Goddess Auset333, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Goddess Auset333

Goddess Auset333 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    Natural hair and dreds are a real no-no!
    Cleary Gottlieb has a bad hair day
    Talk about a Glamour don't.

Vivia Chen/The American Lawyer
    August 27, 2007

It seemed like a nice frothy summer treat for some hardworking gals at a hard-driving law firm. Instead of hosting another earnest discussion about client cultivation and leadership, the women lawyers group at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton invited an editor from Glamour magazine. The topic: the dos and don'ts of corporate fashion.

First slide up: an African-American woman sporting an Afro. A real no-no, announced the Glamour editor to the 40 or so lawyers in the room. As for dreadlocks: How truly dreadful! The style maven said it was "shocking" that some people still think it "appropriate" to wear those hairstyles at the office. "No offense," she sniffed, but those "political" hairstyles really have to go. START A REVOLUTION. AMERICA IS LOSING ITS MIND!!

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1188161099761

2. PLATINUMILLITY1

PLATINUMILLITY1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full Time Student and Independant Buisness Owner
    Ratings:
    +38
    really....

Well if thats what they believe then they can go......and don't come back
    I love my afro kinks and all!!!!!!

3. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    ^5

My afro is no more political than I am so if my natural hair is shocking so am I.

I think what they find so shocking is the fact they can't make money off our natural hair. No matter how much the government subsidizes Korean beauty supply stores they can't make money if we don't buy their stuff.

If we're tired of our neighborhood being run over by foreigners wearing our hair natural is the most effective way to get rid of them. I know that may mean sacrifice in corporate Amerikkka but if we're not willing to make the sacrifice then we should not complain.

Take that sixty bucks we spend waging chemical warfare against our hair and buy our children some books.

4. Ma'atress

Ma'atress Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I second that!!!...Its sooo sad that we havent accepted ourselves Im currently loving every knotty kink of my Loc's...Wake up black women love yourself!!!, quit putting that creamy crack on your scalp and quit using the "ITS MORE MANAGEABLE EXCUSE" ...cause it getting old!!!, and we know whats really up how you wouldn't dare go out with natural kinks your concerned about what others are thinking...I could care less

5. Desert Storm

Desert Storm Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +31
    oh wow!, She called them, "POLITICAL HAIRSTYLES" how amazing. I'm sad. Real sad.
    Somehow people think that black women like putting chemicals on their hair and straightening it at all costs!

Don't think so!
    I love my natural hair!

Desert Storm

6. snugli360

snugli360 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +11
    snugli360

I find it liberating to be natural, and in so doing I now have locks that I manage myself it is a beautiful journey, I have embarked upon. I have always wanted to lock my hair, but like most black women I was afraid the reaction I would get. no doubt my family was my biggest critic. I haven't been dissapointed since for two whole years it's a process but it's worth redefinining the true essence of the african GODS and GODDESSES!I never want to be defined as being something that i'm not I hope more sistas and brothas can recapture the essence of thy self love and aboard the journey ase!

7. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    I wonder what they will think about my headwrap?

8. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    thas sum bullshucks....

one love
    khasm

9. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    I'm usually not too fussy about names and titles, but i really don't like the title DREAD LOCS. What if i went around calling white people's hair: Stringy Locs or black people with curly hair Tangled Locs and permed hair Dead Locs.

There is nothing DREADFUL about my hair.