Black Entertainment : #NatTurner: 'Birth of a Nation' is more than just a film

NOVEMBER 5, 1831: NAT TURNER IS TRIED, CONVICTED & SENTENCED TO DEATH IN VIRGINIA

Nathaniel “Nat” Turner was a slave who led a slave rebellion in Virginia on August 21, 1831, he gathered free and enslaved supporters in Southampton County, Virginia.

Turner’s rebellion resulted in 60 white people killed. The response from white people was at least 200 black deaths ...

https://blackthen.com/​november-5-1...176554713&mc_cid=3325cc254c&mc_eid=2e6c3c6460

wp-1478398237134.jpg

POSTED BY CARLETTA DENISE - NOVEMBER 5, 2016 - BLACK FAMILY, BLACK MEN, BLACK POLITICS, BLACK POWER, DID YOU KNOW, INJUSTICES, LATEST POSTS, LOOKING BLACK ON TODAY, MISSING FROM TEXTBOOKS, POLITICS, RACISM, RELIGION, SLAVERY

They succeeded, ruined any hopes of Nat Turner becoming a bigger Icon.

'The Birth of a Nation' Is a Lose-Lose for the Academy

... Fox Searchlight Pictures purchased its distribution rights for a record-breaking $17.5 million. But two months ago, a 17-year-old incident gained traction in the media and threatened the film’s theatrical release altogether ...

http://www.popmatters.com/feature/the-birth-of-a-nation-is-a-lose-lose-for-the-academy/

sa-birth-nation-650.jpg

NATE PARKER'S SEXUAL ASSAULT ACQUITTAL FORCES THE ACADEMY TO EITHER SUPPORT UNDERREPRESENTED BLACK ARTISTS OR STAND AGAINST THE SEXISM OF WHICH IT HAS BEEN ACCUSED -- BUT NOT BOTH.

Last edited:
They succeeded, ruined any hopes of Nat Turner becoming a bigger Icon.

'The Birth of a Nation' Is a Lose-Lose for the Academy

... Fox Searchlight Pictures purchased its distribution rights for a record-breaking $17.5 million. But two months ago, a 17-year-old incident gained traction in the media and threatened the film’s theatrical release altogether ...

http://www.popmatters.com/feature/the-birth-of-a-nation-is-a-lose-lose-for-the-academy/

sa-birth-nation-650.jpg

NATE PARKER'S SEXUAL ASSAULT ACQUITTAL FORCES THE ACADEMY TO EITHER SUPPORT UNDERREPRESENTED BLACK ARTISTS OR STAND AGAINST THE SEXISM OF WHICH IT HAS BEEN ACCUSED -- BUT NOT BOTH.

No they didn't
@ They succeeded, ruined any hopes of Nat Turner becoming a bigger Icon.

With respect, Nat Turner belongs to us now, and before this movie. That shall never change. This movie has opened some minds to hear more about many of our Icons including Nat Turner and Black History in general.

African American people have both a historical and emotional investment in Nat Turner and this interest in Nat Turner is not a new discovery, it is a permanent condition. Nat Turner’s image in our consciousness does not come and go; it is a historical presence.

So, I got on the waiting list at the Library for Nat Turner Revolt - A Slave Rebillion in History and Memory. Got notice book was in. Went to the library and what was waiting on me!
Nate Parker's book/script of Nat Turner Rebellion the movie. I left it at the library where it doesn't belong. That script/book will replace the true story in History. That's one reason we need to guard our history from Hollywood. They take our history and make it fiction for pay. Going forward that fiction is portrayed as truth.

Nat Turners Rebillion and The Birth of a Nation have nothing in common with real life history.

I know this is done and over, but what bothers me the most is why did he call the movie Birth of a Nation. A dog whistle for this/that election.

No they didn't @ They succeeded, ruined any hopes of Nat Turner becoming a bigger Icon.

With respect, Nat Turner belongs to us now, and before this movie. That shall never change. This movie has opened some minds to hear more about many of our Icons including Nat Turner and Black History in general.

African American people have both a historical and emotional investment in Nat Turner and this interest in Nat Turner is not a new discovery, it is a permanent condition. Nat Turner’s image in our consciousness does not come and go; it is a historical presence.

So, I got on the waiting list at the Library for Nat Turner Revolt - A Slave Rebillion in History and Memory. Got notice book was in. Went to the library and what was waiting on me!
Nate Parker's book/script of Nat Turner Rebellion the movie. I left it at the library where it doesn't belong. That script/book will replace the true story in History. That's one reason we need to guard our history from Hollywood. They take our history and make it fiction for pay. Going forward that fiction is portrayed as truth.

Nat Turners Rebillion and The Birth of a Nation have nothing in common with real life history.

I know this is done and over, but what bothers me the most is why did he call the movie Birth of a Nation. A dog whistle for this/that election.

Point well made, they can never take Nat away from us ...

But this library thing has me concerned. Did you ask them or the librarian why there was a mix up or when would you be able to get the book you wanted (Nat Turner Revolt - A Slave Rebillion in History and Memory)?

Point well made, they can never take Nat away from us ...

But this library thing has me concerned. Did you ask them or the librarian why there was a mix up or when would you be able to get the book you wanted (Nat Turner Revolt - A Slave Rebillion in History and Memory)?

I didn't ask the librarian because the library close to me is high tech! do it yourself. I will put all books on Nat Turner on reserve using my ipad.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Destee wrote on Cindy's profile.
Hi @Cindy .... :wave: ... :flowers: ... :wave: ... Happy New Year Beloved! Welcome Home! Good to see you! Much Much Love and Peace :heart:
Back