Black Entertainment : #NatTurner: 'Birth of a Nation' is more than just a film

Let's forget Snoop. Not that interesting.
I've always disliked slave movies, starting with Roots.

Why do you think it's relevant to see Nat Turners revolt, or any slave story on the big screen?
IMO, white folk could care less about Blacks seeing this movie.
Don't know how extensive this movie goes into Nat Turners Rebillion, but more slaves were killed due to this revolt, to white peoples satisfaction. As they watch these movies they already know the end. There was retribution for slave revolts.

(Turner escaped and remained free for nearly two months. In those two months though, the militia and white vigilantes instituted a reign of terror over slaves in the region. Hundreds of blacks were killed. White Virginians panicked over fears of a larger slave revolt and soon instituted more restrictive laws regulating slave life. Turner was eventually captured and hung.)

The Five Greatest Slave Rebellions in the United States | African - PBS

Stono Rebellion, 1739. The Stono Rebellion was the largest slave revolt ever staged in the 13 colonies. On Sunday, Sept. 9, 1739, a day free of labor, about 20 slaves under the leadership of a man named Jemmy provided whites with a painful lesson on the African desire for liberty. Many members of the group were seasoned soldiers, either from the Yamasee War or from their experience in their homes in Angola, where they were captured and sold, and had been trained in the use of weapons.
They gathered at the Stono River and raided a warehouse-like store, Hutchenson’s, executing the white owners and placing their victims’ heads on the store’s front steps for all to see. They moved on to other houses in the area, killing the occupants and burning the structures, marching through the colony toward St. Augustine, Fla., where under Spanish law, they would be free.
The Five Greatest Slave Rebellions in the United States | African - PBS
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-ame...ss/history/did-african-american-slaves-rebel/ - 80k - Cached - Similar pages

Haitian Revolution (1791-1804) Haitian Revolution has often been described as the largest and most successful slave rebellion in the Western Hemisphere. Slaves initiated the rebellion in 1791 and by 1803 they had succeeded in ending not just slavery but French control over the colony. Haitian Revolution (1791-1804) | The Black Past: Remembered and ...http://www.blackpast.org/gah/haitian-revolution-1791-1804 - 50k - Cached - Similar pages

Slave Insurrections in the United States: An Overview ...
http://slaverebellion.org/index.php?page=united-states-insurrections - 168k - Cached - Similar pages

10 Incredible Slave Rebellions - Listverse
http://listverse.com/2013/10/19/10-incredible-slave-rebellions/ - 193k - Cached - Similar pages

I don't view these movies as making white folk fearful, but confirming their
sense of superioty.

Whoa, slow down for a minute and think about what Nat did. Pause and take a breath on this, please. It was huge. Somehow, because you know the end game, you completely overlook the significance of that moment in time, and go straight to analyzing it, simply because you know the rest of history ... its like arm-chair quarterbacking on a Sunday. Those involved were not thinking of history or the outcome, only what was needed at that moment.

From what I've read about Nat's insurrection, white folk were scared and fearful for a long time afterwards. At this point, Nat achieved, at that moment, exactly what was needed ... we ain't gon take this anymore without a fight, the action was powerful and changed the course of history. When I first read about it (in high-school), immediately, my head raised up, I felt something, and thoroughly appreciated what Nat had done, maybe you don't or didn't.

There are so many Books on slavery and the revolts. We need to discuss the advantage of studying our own history minus the big screen.
I've read this movie was taken from another movie on the KKK.
Alex Haley plagiarized Roots from a white author. The Birth of a Nation was based on Thomas Dixon, Jr.’s The Clansman. It was a landmark film that sparked the rise of the Second Ku Klux Klan. It was a racially inflammatory movie that stirred the 100 Percent Americanism of White Protestant Nationalism. It was a notorious symbol of the Jim Crow South

1. Summary of The Clansman: An Historical Romance of the Ku Klux ...
    http://docsouth.unc.edu/southlit/dixonclan/summary.html - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

Both taken from writings by white men. Disturbing.

Whoa, slow down for a minute and think about what Nat did. Pause and take a breath on this, please. It was huge. Somehow, because you know the end game, you completely overlook the significance of that moment in time, and go straight to analyzing it, simply because you know the rest of history ... its like arm-chair quarterbacking on a Sunday. Those involved were not thinking of history or the outcome, only what was needed at that moment.

From what I've read about Nat's insurrection, white folk were scared and fearful for a long time afterwards. At this point, Nat achieved, at that moment, exactly what was needed ... we ain't gon take this anymore without a fight, the action was powerful and changed the course of history. When I first read about it (in high-school), immediately, my head raised up, I felt something, and thoroughly appreciated what Nat had done, maybe you don't or didn't.

OK. Are we talking about the same thing?
I'm not underestimating Nat Turners Revolt or any of the many slave revolts. I'm ready for another revolt.
I discussing the viewing of slave movies on the big screen.

I think you took parts of my post out of context. My point in pointing out the end results of the Nat Turner Revolt is in response to your previous post stating white folk don't want us to see this movie......
My point being as long as whites got retribution they were OK (short version)

Not intended to downplay the revolt!
I know more about white people than anybody (parroting Don), but, as long as they can kill somebody for, in this case slave revolt, they feel better (short version).

There are so many Books on slavery and the revolts. We need to discuss the advantage of studying our own history minus the big screen.
I've read this movie was taken from another movie on the KKK.
Alex Haley plagiarized Roots from a white author. The Birth of a Nation was based on Thomas Dixon, Jr.’s The Clansman. It was a landmark film that sparked the rise of the Second Ku Klux Klan. It was a racially inflammatory movie that stirred the 100 Percent Americanism of White Protestant Nationalism. It was a notorious symbol of the Jim Crow South

1. Summary of The Clansman: An Historical Romance of the Ku Klux ...
    http://docsouth.unc.edu/southlit/dixonclan/summary.html - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

Both taken from writings by white men. Disturbing.

Respectfully, you might want to start by reading this Thread first, for information on the movie, I've posted many articles covering this film, which answers most of the doubts you've expressed.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back