Black People : NativeBlackAmerican.com

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by NativeBlackAmer, Jan 23, 2011.

1. NativeBlackAmer

NativeBlackAmer New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    NativeBlackAmerican

The Native Black American is a unique and specific people tied together by a common history, culture, and land.

If you have a moment, please take a look at website: NativeBlackAmerican

We're hoping to get the attention-response of as many folks as we can as we feel something very important is being lost.

Thank you...

The Native Black American was born over generations of a very unique experience and relationship to the concept called "America". More than any other people who now inhabit the land mass called America, Native Black Americans have been changed by and changed "America".

2. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    A quote from your site:

"Dr. Martin Luther King NEVER referred to Native Black Americans as "African-Americans". He used the terms "Black" and "Negro". Dr. King said that "the Negro knows little of Africa". There was great forethought and wisdom in Dr. King's recognition of the uniqueness of the Native Black American Tribe; a wisdom that other leaders have missed and therefore, in this regard, have misled. It is a mistake that should be corrected. Seeking this "correction" is not saying that Native Black Americans do not appreciate the African part of their heritage; it is to recognize the unique nature of Native Black America and to regain the strength that comes with knowing one's true tribe."

Seriously? one's true tribe ?? What does that mean? We're not African
    because we are in America? So, if a chinese kid moves to Australia he's not
    chinese anymore? He's Native Yellow Australian? Come on now.. make me
    understand where you're coming from..

Peace.

3. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    The African Native American part of the WILIPEDIA also gives you a brief backstory...

There are several currently active black indian oriented websites too...

Etc.

4. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    And I'm sure this site will be of some use to some, but not to me. It looks too much like they are trying to associate me to Indians.
    Besides, I am happy for now to not only associate myself as Black, but with Africa as well. If there is one thing I have learned, it is I define myself.

5. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

- i mean no disrespect, but weren't you Native and Black before Amerigo Vespuci arrived? So why the need for the "American" part of your name. I haven't checked out the website, but i will in the near future. Just curious as to how you want us to take it back to the origins, yet you feel the need to add 'American' in your name which was not the name your/my ancestors called this land prior to around 1492.

So you leave me a little confused...w/ "Native and American" as part of the same name!

6. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    There's nothing wrong with that, alot of African Americans have Native ancestry and it has been proven that blacks where present in the Americas before Columbus so called ''discovered'' it....despite what Pro. Gates has been paid to say... alot black americans will do well to connect with their native ancestors.

7. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Dance of Indians at Mission in San José, New California between 1803 and 1807

Six Ohlone people with elaborately painted and tattooed bodies, wearing costumes and headdresses, dance in clearing near river. Possibly the earliest known view of Mission Indians in native costumes at Mission San José, California.

Artist: Tilesius von Tilenau, Wilhelm Gottlief (1769-1857), German, artist (attributed to); Langsdorff, Georg Heinrich von (1773-no date), German, artist

Drawing

Image Courtesy of The Bancroft Library University of California, Berkeley BANC PIC 1963.002:1023--FR

[​IMG]

8. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Kamau47

And I'm sure this site will be of some use to some, but not to me. It looks too much like they are trying to associate me to Indians.

Chuck:

"They"?

Not me!

And never heard of 'native black america' before!

You wrote:

Besides, I am happy for now to not only associate myself as Black, but with Africa as well. If there is one thing I have learned, it is I define myself.

Chuck:

My business/choice/right to acknowlege/etc. my unique roots too!

:SuN044:

9. NativeBlackAmer

Ratings:
    +2
    NativeBlackAmerican.com response...

In truth, the Native Black American, those whose ancestors go to before the Civil War(and Mayflower in many cases) and who underwent the transformation of being strangers in a strange land for generations--mixing with all kinds of others in this land--and developing a common history based on their experience in this land--for good and bad--are specifically of this land, per race mixture, evolved culture and shared history. The Black American who brought about the Civil Rights Movement--by this time clear in his/her distinct common struggle, culture, history--is not the same singular individual (whose origins, like those of ALL mankind) who came out of Africa. You get together ANY Native Black American extended family and you will see every color of the spectrum. Black American--Black Native to this Land... call this individual what you might--but the greatest misnomer...in our opinion, is "African-American". Even true "Africans" consider these people when they go to "Africa" as "Americans"--NOT "Africans"---Native Black American is NOT Native American Indian--though many are mixed with Cherokee, Seminole, Apache--and every other tribe you can come up with. They are also mixed--like it or not--with European this and that--some by force, some by choice. What they all have in common, repeating here... is a "commoness" rooted in being of a specific historical-cultural group in spite of all their different makeups. Something that "African"-American" is not universally true to. Obama is, in part "African-American". His wife, Michelle... is, to us, Native Black. At the end, the call of NativeBlackAmerican.com is to those who care to share that bond. Who want the specificity that comes with it. There is no desire to stop those who choose to identify themselves as "African-American". The desire is to maintain a connection to the specific folks who are this mixture born of this land. Who fought the battles and grew the culture on these shores. The creators of jazz--and blues; the only original form of music belonging to this land. In this writer's case, I do not know the Africans in my family tree--but I know of the Cherokee, I know of the Irish--who married in--I know of the roots in Kentucky and Alabama. And I can follow these roots back to share-cropping. I know the Great Great Great grandparent who was a slave. But what I mostly know are Black folks in my family who come from all over America--and who have been here one long-a--- time--and who share their stories from junk that happened here. So, we welcome all those Black, Negroes, Gullah-Geechee's, High Yellahs--call 'em what you will--but all Natives to this land per mix, history and culture. You can call yourself what you will. Those who care to come into this tent, welcome. We know who we are... and it is a big tent. All mixtures welcome who have the common history of early America on down to today in their family ancestry. Welcome Native Black American Tribe.

10. NativeBlackAmer

Ratings:
    +2
    No disrespect felt--Native Black is just fine... as long as it is clear that the ancestors who fought the crap here and affected their history and the history of this "place" now called America...is clear. Jamaicans do not call themselves "African-Jamaicans"--or African-Americans when they come here... they are "Jamaican-Americans" choosing to honr the people who created their Jamaican culture, specifically... and so it goes all over. They know of their African connection. But they honor their ancestors who are distinct from Africa... and when they come to America--America. The Native Black American--does the same for the specific group of Native Blacks who are deep-history and culture in this land.