Black People : National Coming Out Day?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by panafrica, Oct 18, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    One of the schools I work at (a school I'm actively looking to leave) has a large poster advertising National Coming Out Day & celebrating Homosexuals in History hanging in the cafeteria. I had never heard of this until I saw the sign, which apparently has been up for the entire month of October (I've been out of the country for two weeks). Upon doing some research I found out that:

National Coming Out Day is an international event which gives gay, lesbian and bisexual people the opportunity to "come out" to others about their sexuality. It also provides a means of increasing the visibility of gay people.

http://www3.kumc.edu/diversity/other/comeout.html

I found this to be interesting, this particular school in Central New Jersey does not want to celebrate Black History Month, yet they openly and aggressively promote pro-homosexual messages to impressionable young minds. Indeed the most powerful student organization in the school (backed by teachers and the administration) is a gay-straight student alliance. However, the school has no Black Student Union. Needless to say this school is in a wealthy mostly white community. I post this as a warning to black parents who dream of sending their children to study in "good white schools". We have to be aware of the messages being taught to them: spoken and unspoken, as well as conscious and unconscious. These white educators and administrations often have more on their minds than the ABCs and 123s. They have agendas that they push onto our impressionable youth. They are often aggressive with these agendas and our youth internalizes these agendas. As parents in the Black community, we need to be involved in every aspect of our children's education. Only through involvement can we be aware enough to steer them away from some of the perverse and detrimental values being placed on them in white controlled school systems.

2. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    And sometimes these agendas are quite obvious!

My elementary/middle school was mostly black along with my highschool... one time at the former some 'missionaries' came to sing 'Please don't Send Me to Africa.' Then they had the nerve to ask before singing such a wretched song, "What do you call you people?"

Then at my highschool, even though 60% of the student body was black, the administration (white) was inviting people from Bob Jones University, a school that forbid and forbade students to date interracially, which is a concept formed from racist notions when encouraged in the white community.

This is even more abominable. There is no reason to flaunt sexuality whether gay or straight to young people. If a person decides to be gay, then they can determine that when they are an adult, not because they think it's the 'in' thing to do. Awareness of black people's struggles, however, is important for everyone and should be allowed at any and all opportunity!

3. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

You're right, black people should think loooooooong and hard before sending their children to a "good white school". There's an effort in the Passaic County NJ school district to teach 3rd graders about slavery, and the white folks there are up in arms about. But they have no problem teaching about students having two mommies or daddies.

4. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    Well some parents don't care...school is a free day care for most parents...just getting the kids out the house is more important then what they study or do....

Now, I don’t know … some good white schools are actually good…I went to an all white school and had no problem learning about my culture there. Now my oldest son go to the same all good white high school. They do offer courses in interest for the black student/community. Now he is on an academic and sports scholarship, but in my case this was the best choice to make….because my son wants to learn it shows in his grades...the school is one of the top high schools in my area… Which is better organized, and have things that are not offered in the public schools.

…Right now well, about the last 4 years our public inner city schools don’t even rate at normal standards…now they have split male and female schools with the grades k-8th….which alot of parents complained about but did nothing....

My two little ones go to a charter school and I do regret moving them…. they learn nothing special in black history, the kids are rude...and you talking about cussing they cuss like sailors in that school....the sad part it is a black owned school. I am considering putting them back in private school….This was our first charter school in the area that the black owned churches here got up and running….that is running wild...since they turned it over to a new administrative staff and new principle the last two years...

So I can’t say all white schools mislead our kids…sometimes it depends on the area you live in…the only thing you can actually do... is go to school with your child participate in the school activities and teach your child of our history…talk with your child...let them know they can come to you...let them know you care....because face it you maybe the only parent/person that care. Most people just want the kids out the house....

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,743
    jeez, did i miss coming out day?

6. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    You aint trying to tell us something are you James? Just kidding bro.
    I've always wondered why it is so important to gay people that everybody knows that they are gay? I don't care what they say, it's all a recruitment effort. Increase the numbers and you increase the influence. Gays want power too!

That's my "BIG" opinion.

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I think you hit the nail on the head brother bigtown.

8. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    Uh...........

So was there some congressional or presidential edict declaring it a national day? Or is this some so called populist front? Maybe the AFA needs to be notified of this. I take it, this is a public school? If so, it is up to the parents to stress in no uncertain terms whether they wish a certain agenda to be taught to their children. I'm sure there is a parents organization.

9. SexualChocolate

SexualChocolate Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, that is very odd. Would you be able to start a Black Student Union, or do you not go to school with enough other Black people to support it?

I also agree with bigtown. Where's the national straight day?

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,743
    :callme: and i'll show it to you :peace: