Black People : National Blackout Day

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Thandiwe, May 17, 2001.

1. Thandiwe

Thandiwe Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I received this email as a reminder...

National Black Out Day

If this message spreads like those Tavis Smiley and Jesse Jackson
    messages, we may be able to accomplish something...

Have you heard about National Black Out Day?
    That is a day where Black People will not spend their money anywhere.

It is May 20th. Black people across America will not frequent any establishment to show white America that our money has spending power, that we can unify together and relay
    a powerful message.

The message is that we are not the minority.
    We are the majority. Our dollars keeps the economic system afloat. And if we do NOT spend money in any white
    establishments, they will be able to see the impact that what ONE single day can have on economics So send this message to
    all of your friends and family so that this can be successful.

David L. Price
    ETS Coordinator
    North AL Center for Edu. Excellence
    256)722-9632

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Thanks Thandiwe,

I've heard of this day before, is it the same day each year? I guess I should remember but I don't. It seems that I never hear about this day until it is upon us (that could be my own fault). My concern this May 20th in particular, is that I know (black) people who have scheduled events for this day. They obviously have not heard about or taken heed to the fact that we are being asked not to spend any money, as their events are depending on black folk to spend money. It seems rather disorganized, but that's because I'm just hearing about it and May 20th is almost here.

Do these folk have a web site where more information can be obtained?

There are black folk in business that could be hurt as a result of this as well, what effort is taken to make sure the ones we are trying to help ... aren't hurt.

I think I'm rambling now ... :)

Destee

UPDATE:

I just called Mr. Price at the number above and he said he was not the originator of this email, but rather, someone shared it with him and he did the same. He can't confirm if this date is real and is not aware of a web site for more information. Of course I invited him to join our discussion forum. :)

3. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    You are correct, it is disorganized and alot of people know about it or would believe it to be fruitless.

As far as the date, I know it is done this time of year. I thought it was the 19th but perhaps it could be the third sunday type of thing. It's been going on for quite a few years. (I was trying to find some more information, but I won't find that here in MN.) I have originally heard about National Blackout Day from the now defunct Emerge ;( Magazine.

YOu are correct, black businesses could be hurt by this. However, they are still part of the larger economic structure. If we had and sustained our own, we wouldn't need to have these type of demonstrations.

According to my interpretation, by withdrawing our dollars on this day, we show the economic power that we have.

I posted this on another board and was meet with some criticism about the Blackout Day.

I pointed out that the Million Man March show us in large numbers and the power we could have, however, not much was done afterwards, or the steam evaporated. Nonetheless, I think once we realized our economic power we can more power over our lives.

I will be withholding my dollars on May 20 - National Blackout Day. I also believe that we must do this as a whole community (black) in order for it to be effective. Then after that be more conscious of how and where we spend our money...and build so that we don't have to have these demonstrations at all.

My friend, Nexis5, believes it should be an everyday Blackout day.
    ;)

and one more point: WE do have a problem organizing and getting our agendas to working...

4. N2urSoul

N2urSoul Well-Known Member MEMBER

Director, Community Employment Strategies
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thandiwe

Thanks girl... this is my first time hearing of this "National Black Out Day".

Thanks for the information.

5. Thandiwe

Ratings:
    +2
    No problem

Unfortunately N'Soul, not many or enough people are aware of this movement. it seems the movement has stalled because of lack of information and purpose.

Others see it as just another protest, and not really worth much value. Particularly since tommorow and today, we will still be out spending our money in stores own by non-blacks.

but here i am, in the house, saving my little bit of money. :)

until tuesday that is. How will I know you? Should be holla out

Destee! in the house!!! :D

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Thandiwe huh :eek:

holla Destee ??? hehehe

lost me on that one Sis

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    ‘National Blackout Day’ MAY 20th 2009

Organizers say this is a surefire way to send an anti-racism message

Want to send a powerful message about racism to the rest of America today?
    Black leaders across the United States say you can have a bigger impact than you realize by refusing to open your wallet for the next 24 hours. In other words, they say, if you want knock out racism, you have to hit America where it hurts most – right in the pocketbook. Of course, a "national Blackout" of businesses won’t stomp out racism, they say, but it would force the U.S. Justice Department and lawmakers to begin taking hate-crime charges more seriously. "The history of our country is about what I’m calling for, countering charges that being unpatriotic by calling for a national boycott. "If the federal government is not doing what it’s supposed to do, we should protest. African Americans might see the same kind of results that Black society realized in the 1960s with similar tactics. What if thirty-some million Black folks did decide to follow this African Americans will spend in upwards of $800 billion after taxes this year – more than $2.3 billion a day – which means that a single day could levy quite a jolt to the U.S. economy. And that’s even if a sizable chunk of Whites, Latinos and Asians, who are equally frustrated with racism and the federal government’s complacency, don’t join in on the effort.

Do you think the average African American is willing to keep his/her wallet closed for the day? Will you participate?

8. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    I am all for acts, events & movements that bring about change and light to us, but I am not too sure about this one. But please, don't take my hesitation as disapproval. I am not saying that I am against it, but have some reservations.
    The biggest is doing this for one day. If we as blacks keep our money for a day, won't it just be spent the next? I mean, if I was meaning to do some shopping on a particular day and put it off, won't I just do it the next? In either case, the "X" amount of money I was going to spend will eventually get into the system one day or the next.
    Also, I am also concerned as was mentioned above that this could hurt black businesses, especially if I shop mostly at black-owned businesses. In my city for example, though most of the local stores are arab-owned, there are a couple of small, corner stores that I go to exclusively for items. When I say small, I mean small. They rely on day-to-day business to stay afloat, and by keeping my money for one day, it could mean opened or closed for them. And in my city, with high unemployment, it could also spell problems for them.
    As I said, I am not dissing this. I guess I just need to hear some other views/opinions on it and make a decision. There could be an alternative too that was not explored, and that would be to for one day spend our money at a black-owned business no matter how inconvenient it may be in terms of travel time/distance and cost/price. That way, we would not only deprive other businesses of our money, but at the same time would boost our own which I know could use the support.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. national blackout day