Black Positive People : National Black United Front (NBUF) School on Saturday

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by IFE, Feb 6, 2017.

1. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,519

• Thank You Thank You x 2
    • List
  2. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,519
  3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,457
    Sis. IFE, didn't see this thread until now. Glad I found it because I was thinking about Saturday schools and wondering if this was still a way in which Black people could increase their knowledge in ways that it benefits our youth, short- and long-term. Thank you for starting this thread.

We now live in the information-age and not agricultural or industrial ages so what are our youth doing on Saturdays? They are not farming or going to factories to work, so how are they spending the day and using their brains? Are they involved in after-school programs that don't involve sports? Are Black parents who care about the education of their students opposed to their children spending more time "in school"?

About the BUF: "The United Black Front (also known as the Black United Front) was created in the late 1960s as a coalition of 50 black power organizations seeking to address four major objectives: the elimination of white oppression, increased economic and political power for blacks, better education and social status for blacks, and the elimination of racial discrimination. David Mills, the director of the Seattle Central Area Registration program, was elected president in September 1968. The UBF set up 13 committees to address issues such as political action, youth, labor, housing, education, and others."

DC's BUF seems to be thriving: https://www.eventbrite.com/o/national-black-united-front-2271343885

National Black United Front

The "Black United Front" is an organization made up of concerned and committed individuals and organizations who have united to assume responsibility for working and leading the struggle for a better life for themselves and their children. The...
    eventbrite.com

This is giving me ideas on how to spend my time after retirement. Is there a BUF in your city?

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  4. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,519
    No, there is not a BUF in metro Atlanta.
    You would think there would be.

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,457
    There isn't one where I live either, which really doesn't surprise me because where I live is predominately white. You're right, I'm surprised that there isn't one in Atlanta, though. When I retire, I don't want to work another 40 hours a week, I want some "play" time, but I also don't want to just sit at home. I want to do something constructive with my time in a secular way.

6. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,519
    The staff at the WEB DuBOIS were all volunteers.
    Parents volunteered, teachers, engineers, ets. Everyone welcome.
    I don’t think the BUF would mind if there were schools every Saturday in every city.
    Tutoring for high school and college students are available throughout the week.
    Other tutoring programs I’ve worked with have not been as rewarding. For them tutoring is helping students with their homework. I can see the problems the Learning Center addressed. Students being passed grade to grade not knowing what they should.
    It’s frustrating because WEB DuBois Learning Center gave every student the same test in math and other subjects.
    Wherever the students shows problems, that’s where their tutoring will start.
    You have 6 graders who don’t know their multiplication tables, and in class he/she are doing integers. The student is completely unable to work at grade level.
    And the teachers know.
    We have to train our own.
    While I was volunteering at the Learning Center, I was employed with a community Center. My employer allowed me to start a satellite center.
    I follow the WEB DuBois Learning Center on FB.
    :)