Black People : Nasty Nappy Hair

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Kadijah, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
  2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    :10500:who?

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    Solange Knowles Takes to Twitter to Rant Against the “Natural Hair Police”

[​IMG]

“Just taking a moment to rant against natural hair police” ~Solange Knowles
    Solange had a lot on her mind last night as she took to Twitter to speak against naturals who have questioned the authenticity of her big chop and criticized her for rocking “undefined” looks all the time. Check it out;
    I cut my hair ALL off 4 times in my life all for very different reasons….I only reiterate this because this is nothing new for me.
    http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/06/solange-takes-to-twitter-to-rant-against-natural-hair-police/

4. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I saw the very first show of The Talk. Saw ugmo sis, who is also the archetypal "fat, loud, black woman" and turned the channel.

Sometimes your first instincts are correct. [​IMG]

5. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952

I read the link and am left scratching my head as to what any of it has to do with Ugmo on The View's comments?

While I love me some of Bey's lil sis (Lord, but that woman is beautiful! :bellydance:), what she's talking about - folks saying she should 'twist' her hair - and what the OP is talking about - culud woman saying black folks' hair is nasty - are 2 different things.

Oh, and unless you have curly or naturally straight hair or, like Ugmo, rocking some dead Asian's woman's hair on your head, brutha Clyde, she's talking about YOUR nasty hair, too!

6. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    "Nasty" to describe African features is no good. But neither is "Ugmo."

But the topic is a so what. She isn't the first Sister to denounce African hair. Brothers cut their hair almost every week because it's not as aesthetic to them. Young Sisters sometimes don't go to school because "they are getting their hair done" aka improving their hair's aesthetics.

It's good to know who not to listen to. But if I were watching television, I should be prepared to see self-hatred broadcasted. I have more trouble with "Ugmo" to describe an African woman with a wig.

What makes her ugmo?

7. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I agree. Btw, who described African features as "Ugmo?"

Really? Is black men can't keep it in their pants a "so what" topic? What about bruthas who expect the government to give them handouts? That a "so what" topic undeserving of discussing? Or does that mean you AGREE with Ugmo that black hair is nasty, ergo, "so what?"

No, she isn't the first black PERSON to exhibit black self-hate..... nor the first to de facto agree by labeling the denigration of God's gift to black PEOPLE, i.e., their crowning glory, as a so what?

:thinking: You obviously did not bother to click on the link and read the article.

Are you saying black women who wear wigs are "ugmos?" :11200:

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    :qqb009: if i looked like this sister i would not be calling anybody anything…….

9. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    You? Aren't you calling her "Ugmo" based on her appearance? But what about her appearance is non-African?

I still don't understand why you are calling her "Ugmo" but it's a "so what" because people are entitled to their opinions. The other topics are a matter of thought and ideas. However, a person sharing their opinion is not discussion material in and of itself.

There is no 'agreeing' in a 'so what?' A 'so what' is what it is 'so what?' She finds something Beautiful nasty, so what? What about it? Can someone not find something Beautiful nasty?!? So what?

I don't see why you think "so what?" means a person agrees. It means someone doesn't get the point you are trying to make.

Was I supposed to?

No, it seems to be what you are saying. What's wrong with her besides that she's wearing a wig? Why are YOU calling her "Ugmo?"

10. Da Flash

Da Flash going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    professional internet surfer
    Ratings:
    +405
    Could the "Ugmo" name come from the fact that the female pictured bares a striking resemblence to Wesley Snipes in that "Woo Fong" movie???

This is the type of comment I'd expect to hear from her though, I don't know if you guys have listen to her but there appears to be self hate/image issues!!!!!