Black Entertainment : Nas's New Song "I Can"

poeticdelight

REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2001
Although Nas's infamous quote in his new song is really nothing new, it is quite interesting and motivates me to look deeper beyond the song itself. I think that I know why he poses
reference to the Egyptian culture.

He says:

"...Egypt is the place where Alexander The Great(not a black man by the way) went was shocked to see that the mountains had black faces shot up the nose to impose basically what you still see today you see"

The Sphinx in fact does not have a nose and researchers are still trying to configure its image until this day. Irregardless, it is quite apparent that the Egyptian culture has brought major influence to our country. For example, Mount Rushmore(located in Keystone, SD) stands as a memorial of the establishment of the United States of America. The same four presidents seen on the four order of coins yet Abe Lincoln is faced forward this time. How
much proof does a Black man need to believe that our current state of being is more than simply ancient history? I agree with NAS. "If the truth is told, then kids can grow." If we knew more about our GOD given talents, then it's possible that we might actually value ourselves more and move forward.

-poeticdelight

NAS is not my speed...

...besides, its not knowledge that is the problem with many among us, it is APPLICATION of the knowledge that we DO have.

I'm an Old Schooler. One can read the Bible and know where we come from, and know that Jesus Christ ain't white, and Egypt...when in the center of God's will...blossomed.

Plus, Hannabal (a Black man) out generaled Alexander the Great, and the original greeks and romans were not as light as you might think. Living THAT close to Africa, there were plenty of good looking sisters that made those greek and roman sisters jealous!

I'm always in the earshot for good news. But our progress as people MUST be forward, with a rememberance and application of the past.

I've taught in the classroom, and many of our young people could care less about the history back to WW II, and fall asleep on tapes of the Civil Rights movement. Not to mention that many of them have parents who have not 'schooled' them as to the need for an education, the need to vote, and the need to compete.

History points one to the future...but, as the old saying goes: Fortune Favors The Bold! And you CAN'T be bold, if folk won't even take advantage of the history they DO know, apply it, and pass it on.

You need to check out www.littleafrica.com. They have a section on Black inventors. At the turn of the 19th to the 20th Century, there were TWELVE Black women inventors who held patents! And, Madame CJ Walker's wealth makes Oprah's money look funny...plus she was, and IS a household name.

There were Black Men who had PH.Ds, known as inventors, in the late 1800s. My favorite Historical note is the fact that Dr. George Washington Carver TURNED THOMAS EDISON DOWN when EDISON came to him to ask him to work on his inventions.

Carver told Edison in writing: "God ain't through with me yet at Tuskegee!" Built, by the way, by Booker T. Washington.

It's not about looking overseas to find out who we are...it is acting on what we already know that is the problem. WORD!

Mike Ramey--an Old Schooler.

Yes, Nas has been one of the few rappers who rap about more than just women, money, gang-banging. If you enjoy him you may want to check out:
Outkast - ATLiens and their other albums
Goddie M.O.B. - Thought Process
Dead Prez - Let's Get Free , especially the songs "Propaganda" and "Mind Sex"
Talib Qweli
and of course Floetry, their cd is very much poetic and a delight!
there are others out there but you know positive rap is not the biggest seller.

Fresh

Alexander The Great did not shot of the nose guns were not around then i hear you nkow it was nepoliean

Thank you...

I'm so sick of people bigging up Nas I don't know what to do.

Not only is he corny and has no flow, but the man is a HYPOCRITE.

He talks about black love and history on one song then turns around and talks about thieving, selling dope, and pimping hoez on another all in the same album.

How did this fool get to be the poster-boy for black hip-hop conciousness?

Calling himself a Poor righteous teacher....Elijah Muhammad would do a flip in his grave if he knew what kind of madmess was going on under the banter of his teachings.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back