Black Entertainment : Nas's New Song "I Can"

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by poeticdelight, Mar 14, 2003.

1. poeticdelight

poeticdelight Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Although Nas's infamous quote in his new song is really nothing new, it is quite interesting and motivates me to look deeper beyond the song itself. I think that I know why he poses
    reference to the Egyptian culture.

He says:

"...Egypt is the place where Alexander The Great(not a black man by the way) went was shocked to see that the mountains had black faces shot up the nose to impose basically what you still see today you see"

The Sphinx in fact does not have a nose and researchers are still trying to configure its image until this day. Irregardless, it is quite apparent that the Egyptian culture has brought major influence to our country. For example, Mount Rushmore(located in Keystone, SD) stands as a memorial of the establishment of the United States of America. The same four presidents seen on the four order of coins yet Abe Lincoln is faced forward this time. How
    much proof does a Black man need to believe that our current state of being is more than simply ancient history? I agree with NAS. "If the truth is told, then kids can grow." If we knew more about our GOD given talents, then it's possible that we might actually value ourselves more and move forward.

-poeticdelight

2. Mike Ramey

Mike Ramey Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +17
    NAS is not my speed...

...besides, its not knowledge that is the problem with many among us, it is APPLICATION of the knowledge that we DO have.

I'm an Old Schooler. One can read the Bible and know where we come from, and know that Jesus Christ ain't white, and Egypt...when in the center of God's will...blossomed.

Plus, Hannabal (a Black man) out generaled Alexander the Great, and the original greeks and romans were not as light as you might think. Living THAT close to Africa, there were plenty of good looking sisters that made those greek and roman sisters jealous!

I'm always in the earshot for good news. But our progress as people MUST be forward, with a rememberance and application of the past.

I've taught in the classroom, and many of our young people could care less about the history back to WW II, and fall asleep on tapes of the Civil Rights movement. Not to mention that many of them have parents who have not 'schooled' them as to the need for an education, the need to vote, and the need to compete.

History points one to the future...but, as the old saying goes: Fortune Favors The Bold! And you CAN'T be bold, if folk won't even take advantage of the history they DO know, apply it, and pass it on.

You need to check out www.littleafrica.com. They have a section on Black inventors. At the turn of the 19th to the 20th Century, there were TWELVE Black women inventors who held patents! And, Madame CJ Walker's wealth makes Oprah's money look funny...plus she was, and IS a household name.

There were Black Men who had PH.Ds, known as inventors, in the late 1800s. My favorite Historical note is the fact that Dr. George Washington Carver TURNED THOMAS EDISON DOWN when EDISON came to him to ask him to work on his inventions.

Carver told Edison in writing: "God ain't through with me yet at Tuskegee!" Built, by the way, by Booker T. Washington.

It's not about looking overseas to find out who we are...it is acting on what we already know that is the problem. WORD!

Mike Ramey--an Old Schooler.

3. Nfant_De_Milieu

Nfant_De_Milieu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, Nas has been one of the few rappers who rap about more than just women, money, gang-banging. If you enjoy him you may want to check out:
    Outkast - ATLiens and their other albums
    Goddie M.O.B. - Thought Process
    Dead Prez - Let's Get Free , especially the songs "Propaganda" and "Mind Sex"
    Talib Qweli
    and of course Floetry, their cd is very much poetic and a delight!
    there are others out there but you know positive rap is not the biggest seller.

4. freeh_rap_brown

freeh_rap_brown Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Alexander The Great did not shot of the nose guns were not around then i hear you nkow it was nepoliean

5. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Fresh

Alexander The Great did not shot of the nose guns were not around then i hear you nkow it was nepoliean

Thank you...

I'm so sick of people bigging up Nas I don't know what to do.

Not only is he corny and has no flow, but the man is a HYPOCRITE.

He talks about black love and history on one song then turns around and talks about thieving, selling dope, and pimping hoez on another all in the same album.

How did this fool get to be the poster-boy for black hip-hop conciousness?

Calling himself a Poor righteous teacher....Elijah Muhammad would do a flip in his grave if he knew what kind of madmess was going on under the banter of his teachings.

6. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

Yes, yes, yes....thank God someone said what I've been saying everytime someone brings Nas up in the name of consciousness. The man flip flops more than a dying fish. Come on, there are far better black men and women to support besides this guy. Yeah, he's saying this and that when others don't bother, but does that really help anything when he goes from one extreme to another? He doesn't know if he's coming or going. Please stop this madness. Nas is just another rapper who can't find himself, so he tries to be a little bit of everything.

7. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16

Kente

The man flip flops more than a dying fish. Come on, there are far better black men and women to support besides this guy.

Ha haaa....

Yeah, I can see someone like Common or even Kam who uses profanity and hard rhyming to get the point across and relate, but there is a certain line you just don't cross.

No longer are you bringing these problems into the light for us to examine, now you're PART of the problem because you're glorifying negativity.

I'm watching Kanye West with a careful eye as well.

He's promoting black conciousness and christianity but wanna thug it out and with graphic sexual encounters and senseless violence at the same time.

What's all this "snatch ya necklace and leave ya breathless" got to do with walking with Jesus?

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Nas making his mark as a Rapper.....

9. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    kANYE IS SIMPLY REPORTING WHAT GOES ON IN EVERY DAY LIFE. IF U WANT TO GO BY THE BIBLE, IT DOES SAY THAT JESUS HELPED AND ASISITED THIEVES AND PROSTITUTES. JESUS ATE MEALS WITH CRIMINALS AND OUT CASTS OF SOCIETY TO LET THEM KNOW SOME ONE FELT THEIR PAIN. lIFE AINT ALL PEACHES AND CREAM.

NAS SPEAKS THE REAL, ONE OF THE BEST EMCEES OF OUR TIME.

10. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I hear what you guys are saying, but there is a big difference between speaking the real and joining in the ignorance. Talib Kweli speaks the real. Common speaks the real. Nas joins in on the ignorance.