Black People : Names (Toby or Kunte Kinte, Kizzy or Ms Ann)

daroc said:
its funny cuz i tell all my friends when i have kids- they can name themselves- i think they have that right- jus as anything else

my name is jovonna

my mothers reason for naming me that- is that during the time she was pregnant she loved Jovan Musk cologne-
but i prefer- da latin meanin -majestic

i always thought about changin my name- but prolly never will

This is really interesting and it causes me to ask you why you will probably not do it..(change your name)

when i change mine the first time, i paid money and went before a judge. i was Frank Bilal Rasheed then and there is an ammendment to my birth certificate. Then i got sick of the whole European naming experience and change to Faruq by common law.

some folks accuse us of trying to be other than ourselves, trying to be A-RABS but they don't know the History that Arabia is just another part of Africa. and the names are Qur'anic which is bigger than all of that.......

Wow...what a interesting discussion here. Well yall know I'm Joyce but what does it mean and how did it come to be? Well this is how it came to be

My name means joyful peace.
Joy + ce The first part is joy and the ce ends the word peace.

This name fits my personality perfectly and thus I feel no need to change it for an African one at this point. Besides, I will never know what tribe I came from anyway, thanks to you know who stealing my cultural history and "wiping" it out. So I don't feel that switching over to an "African" name for the same of getting rid of my "slave" name is a necessity, seeing that I don't even know if I'm picking a tribal name that may originate from a tribe that doesn't even like the (tribal wars) the tribe that I actually came from. :lol: Moreover, choosing an Arab name will not suit me either seeing that Arabs are NOT really Africans. They came over in 608 A.D. and destroyed our beautiful and proud Egyptian people and enslaved them. So I don't see the sense in switching one slave name for another. I'll just stick with the one I got.

~j

Joyce said:
Wow...what a interesting discussion here. Well yall know I'm Joyce but what does it mean and how did it come to be? Well this is how it came to be

My name means joyful peace.
Joy + ce The first part is joy and the ce ends the word peace.

This name fits my personality perfectly and thus I feel no need to change it for an African one at this point. Besides, I will never know what tribe I came from anyway, thanks to you know who stealing my cultural history and "wiping" it out. So I don't feel that switching over to an "African" name for the same of getting rid of my "slave" name is a necessity, seeing that I don't even know if I'm picking a tribal name that may originate from a tribe that doesn't even like the (tribal wars) the tribe that I actually came from. :lol: Moreover, choosing an Arab name will not suit me either seeing that Arabs are NOT really Africans. They came over in 608 A.D. and destroyed our beautiful and proud Egyptian people and enslaved them. So I don't see the sense in switching one slave name for another. I'll just stick with the one I got.

~j
That is interesting. The land is in Africa but the people came from somewhare else just like the Wuropean Americans came from somewhere else.
People say that our names don't mean anything and that is whay we should change them. But our names do mean something if we would take the time to look them up. It's astonishing how those names match our personalities even when our patents didn't know what they meant.

my name is Rhonda which has two meanings: powerful river or good spear. My uncle Lou was such a bad man that he thought his child would turn out to be the antichrist. When the baby came out normal he jumped up and down with joy "It's a miracle! It's a miracle! Let's call his name Miraculous!" So now I have a cousin named Miraculous.

Joyce said:
Arabs are NOT really Africans. They came over in 608 A.D. and destroyed our beautiful and proud Egyptian people and enslaved them. So I don't see the sense in switching one slave name for another. I'll just stick with the one I got.

~j

Sister, i know plenty "Arabs" that are "African" as so was the "Arabian peninsula" also before it was carved up like the rest of the world. When i visited that part of the world, one of the most impressive things was that most of the people are "African" in their "characteristics", very much so. Most of the "Arabs" like most of us have decisive "African" features; like us some light complexioned with light colored eyes and curly or even straight hair, you know what i'm talking about. If not just look in the mirror or at your family members or your neighbors ( check out the players in the NBA, NFL, movie stars, recording stars, Congressional Black Caucus and other prominently placed people) Like many Puerto Ricans, South Americans, us and others, they may not accept this or even know it, but it's a fact......easy to see and to verify.....

Not that this will make a person change their name if they like the name they have and are comfortable with it. There is absolutely no compulsion and hopefully we will accept the sane decisions of others and even tolerate their basically safe unsane ones. :laugh:

Question: What is the reference for this statement? "They came over in 608 A.D. and destroyed our beautiful and proud Egyptian people and enslaved them."

Question: Are you implying or inferring that people like me, exchanged one slave name for another? (Not to dispute or argue, but i certainly and obviously don't agree with this statement )

river said:
That is interesting. The land is in Africa but the people came from somewhare else just like the Wuropean Americans came from somewhere else.
People say that our names don't mean anything and that is whay we should change them. But our names do mean something if we would take the time to look them up. It's astonishing how those names match our personalities even when our patents didn't know what they meant.

my name is Rhonda which has two meanings: powerful river or good spear. My uncle Lou was such a bad man that he thought his child would turn out to be the antichrist. When the baby came out normal he jumped up and down with joy "It's a miracle! It's a miracle! Let's call his name Miraculous!" So now I have a cousin named Miraculous.

River: People say that our names don't mean anything and that is whay we should change them. But our names do mean something if we would take the time to look them up. It's astonishing how those names match our personalities even when our patents didn't know what they meant.

This is so true and yes it is amazing that names match the personality. Could it also be that in actuality, the personality develops to match the name? What I mean by that is this. Whenever your mom or others would call you Rhonda, they were in fact calling you...Powerful River or Good Spear. Just think about it. Now I don't know you from jack, but I know the meaning of your name it can give me an ideal of what type of personality you have basically. Now basically, judging from the meaning of your name...

You are always searching for knowledge. Once you have accepted and receive that knowledge for yourself, you develop a penetrating wisdom for using that knowledge to empower your life. You are a person of pursue and posses an unusual determination (at times stubborn even :glasses: ) to obtain a desire or goal despite any obstacles that may get in your way. You are also very good at lifting others up when they are down...giving them hope. A sensitive to others type person.

Now this is the basics of what I can determine about you, just in knowing the meaning of your name. All of your life, you have been called Powerful River...Good Spear. Thus, I believe your personality developed around what you were called, because your spirit said YES...I AM a powerful river...YES, I am a good spear.

I even noticed how God changed Jacob's name to Israel. How He changed Abram's name to Abraham. He change Sari's name to Sarah. Then, I noticed how that afterwards, their personalities and life, took on a NEW dimension. So being that my name is a reflection of who I've come to be, I don't believe I should change it. After all, I am Joyce, the person, FIRST, then I am African American...my race.

I believe there is a certain power source or some type of life energy in names just like there is in words. Call a child a "nobody" all of his life and when he grow up, that's what he will be UNLESS HE fights it and overcome it with positives words of faith in himself. See what I mean? What do you think River?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back