Black Christians : Names Of God: Old and New Testaments

http://www.ldolphin.org/Names.html

IMO, this links contains some valuable information in regards to Bible study.

One can use the Hebrew and Greek names of God as reference points and areas to study.

It's lengthy but, IMO, could be used as a study companion.

hotep sister:

i posted a video in the entertainment section called "know thyself"...

and it touches upon points u have made with regard to respecting all ...

check it out if u have time and enjoy.......

Jehovah-Jireh

Jehovah - Jireh: The Lord Who Provides
Genesis 22

1. Read the text carefully and answer the following questions.

a. What was the setting for the revelation of this name of God?

b. What made this especially difficult for Abraham? See Genesis 15:1-6; Genesis 21:1-6; Romans 4:18-22.

c. Did Abraham really think he was going to have to take the life of his son Isaac? Genesis 22:5; Hebrews 11:17-19

d. How was this story something like the story of Jesus and the offering of Calvary? See Genesis 22:2, 5, 6-9.

The Revelation of the Name Jehovah-Jireh, Genesis 22:12-14. The meaning of this name is The Lord Who Provides. The name is literally, The Lord Who Sees, or The Lord Who Will See To It. This is what we long for when we have a need that is personal and special; One who will see to our needs and provide for us. This is what Jehovah-Jireh means; the Lord Who will see to it that my every need is met. One Who knows my need because He sees. One Who is able to meet my need in just the right time as He did for Abraham, and One Who can meet it fully. For Abraham, it was the ram caught in the thicket that was offered in Isaac's place. For us it is whatever we need.

2. Look up the sample verses and see the bountiful provision the Father has made for you and me. Write the meaning of each verse.

a. Matthew 6:25-34

b. Philippians 4:19

c. Psalm 37:4

d. Psalm 37:25

e. Romans 8:37

f. Ephesians 1:3

The name Jehovah-Jireh is a name that is crucial for us today as we seek to know the Father. It is a name that assures us that our Heavenly Father is able to provide any need we have. Trust Him for that!

1) Elohim: The plural form of EL, meaning “strong one.” When used of the true God, it is a plural of majesty and intimates the trinity. It is especially used of God’s sovereignty, creative work, mighty work for Israel and in relation to His sovereignty. Defined: God; a plural noun, more than two, used with singular verbs; Elohim occurs 2,570 times in the OT, 32 times in Gen. 1. God as Creator, Preserver, Transcendent, Mighty and Strong. Ecclesiastes, Daniel & Jonah use Elohim almost exclusively. See Gen. 1:1, 6:18, 7:7,9:15, 50:24; Deut. 5:23; 8:15; I Kings 8:23; Jer. 31:33; Isa. 40:1, 45:18, 54:5; Jer. 32:27; Ps. 68:7)

EL: God ("mighty, strong, prominent") used 250 times in the OT. See Gen. 7:1, 28:3, 35:11; Nu. 23:22; Josh. 3:10; 2 Sam. 22:31, 32; Neh. 1:5, 9:32; Isa. 9:6; Ezek. 10:5. El is linguistically equivalent to the Moslem "Allah," but the attributes of Allah in Islam are entirely different from those of the God of the Hebrews. ELAH is Aramaic, "god." Elah appears in the Hebrew Bible in Jer. 10:11 (which is in Aramaic, and is plural, "gods"). In Daniel (the Aramaic sections) Elah is used both of pagan gods, and of the true God, also plural. Elah is equivalent to the Hebrew Eloah which some think is dual; Elohim is three or more. The gods of the nations are called "elohim." The origin of Eloah is obscure. Elohimis the more common plural form of El. Eloah is used 41 times in Job between 3:4 and 40:2, but fewer than 15 times elsewhere in the OT.
Compounds of El:

http://www.abecedarian.org/Pages/namesofGod.htm

Yahweh (YHWH) or modernly translated Jehovah: Comes from a verb which means “to exist, be.” This, plus its usage, shows that this name stresses God as the independent and self-existent God of revelation and redemption (Gen. 4:3; Ex. 6:3 (cf. 3:14);3:12)LORD in our English Bibles (all capitals). Yahweh is the covenant name of God. Occurs 6823 times in the OT -- First use Gen. 2:4 (Jehovah Elohim). From the verb "to be", havah, similar to chavah (to live), "The Self-Existent One," "I AM WHO I AM" or 'I WILL BE WHO I WILL BE" as revealed to Moses at the burning bush, Ex.3. The name of God, too sacred to be uttered, abbreviated or written "YHWH" without vowel points. The tetragrammaton. Josh., Judges, Sam., and Kings use Jehovah almost exclusively. The love of God is conditioned upon His moral and spiritual attributes. (Dan. 9:14; Ps. 11:7; Lev. 19:2; Hab. 1:12). NoteDeut. 6:4,5 known to Jews as the Sh'ma uses both Jehovah and Elohim to indicate one God with a plurality of persons.

Compounds of Yahweh: Strictly speaking, these compounds are designations or titles which reveal additional facts about God’s character.

http://www.abecedarian.org/Pages/namesofGod.htm

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back