Black Parenting : Names divide rich and poor

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by dustyelbow, Aug 1, 2007.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
  2. LadyLC

LadyLC Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    Interesting article. I am a 70's baby so I have an "invented name" that my Mother and her friend put together before I was born. It was a little harder for me in school because the white teachers took longer to learn to pronounce it. I find that it can also be challenging in the workplace too. Let's face it some employers are more likely to call Ryan for an interview before they call DeAndre for the same interview.

People are going to name their children what they want to and I am proud of my name, but it goes much deeper than that. The whole root of the name problem is deep set racial divide that is unconscious in people. Rather than writing articles on names in affluent zip codes they should be talking about why names in non-affluent zip codes have a harder time becoming affluent. IMO This article is just a sly way of pointing out that we like to make up names for our children, which is a whole other thread LOL.

When I had my children I chose to give them what the article is calling “popular names.” I did that so things would be just a little easier on them in school, life and fact of the matter is I just liked the names I picked out. I like the fact that when an employer will look at my children’s resume they will not know what race they are until they walk through the door for the interview……….

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I have to agree wit LadyLC here

4. sweet apple*pie

sweet apple*pie Well-Known Member MEMBER

I am a student, and all though it is hardwork, it
    Ratings:
    +30
    I believe my mother did the same with me and my sister. She wanted names that she liked very much, and that would not hinder me and my sister in life, but wanting us to be able to achieve the same amount of success and opportunity as whites...Go figure, with our names....Tiffany and Brittany.