Black Entertainment : NAACP images......

you focused on the wrong thing. Since it was about hair, I threw in the "economics" of it, the "health" issue of it and the "cultural, identity of it". This I did as a means of showing that it is way beyond the locks. Locks aren't the issue at all.

What I'm speaking on in relationship to the hair issue is too big to be about just locks. Like, what could we build with the 2.8 billion we're giving away to "look other than self ?"

How many of our sisters wouldn't be going "bald, exposed to cancer and other health issues just to look other than self ?"

In terms of identity...why do we push the subconscious message to our young that it's "OKAY" to look other than self?

I took it beyond locks, so why is it that "LOCKS" is all you saw ?

I'm confused...again ?

kemetkind said:
Our seeking to emulate white appearance is an issue.
yes, it is. it is ill.

karmashines said:
I think Kemetkind's main point is that you can't judge a book by its cover. A person choosing to wear dreds isn't necessarily more 'pro-black' or 'conscious' than a person that decides not to wear their hair that way.

as to judging a book by it's cover, i go to the store all the time and judge books and other items by their covers. let's not be coy.
when i go to the store to buy soap i pick up a bottle that says soap on the cover. when i go for a mystery, i pick up a book that says mystery on the cover.
of course, the items may be mis labeled, but in general that is the way we select things, by their covers. WYSIWYG!

i am willing to agree that many good black people have chosen to alter their appearance for one reason or another. i'm not here to judge.

but we hopefully can all agree that it is not an insignificant act.

Sistahs always seem to reply...its my choice its what i choose. its the beuty of being a black women that i can choose my hair style. yet i walk out side and the majority of black women are pressed up permed up. that is most , if it was a choice wouldnt you see all types of hair styles not just pressed as the dominant style?

Again I ask if white supremecy didnt exist would sitahs still strainghten their NATURALLY curly thick hair?

I saw Byonce on T.V. the other day, i could of sworn it was a white woman until my brain registered her face. It even looks like her nose got thiner...

BTW

locks are not all natural hair is, there a multitude of natural hair styles..

I hear black women always complaining about how their hair doesnt grow. my sister always said things like, my hair just doesnt grow, until she went natural and her hair sprouted up looking like the sun in a matter of months.

But as far as celebrities i see more natural hair amongst everday women than famous women, money has to do with it...

I agree you can judge off of appearance, a women with straightened hair automatically tells me she has a complex maybe she isnt even totally aware of, she thinks straight hair is what a women should have...

YES NATURAL HAIR IS A PRESSING ISSUE, HOW CAN A PEOPLE RISE UP IF WE ARE NOT BEING OUR SELVES??

Women of all races use chemicals on their hair in one form or another. Women with naturally straight hair will use chemicals to make their hair curly. Women of all races also dye their hair various colors that are not natural for their body. Yet somehow only black women are identified as taking these measures. No one acknowledges all the white/hispanic/asian women who use tracks, weaves and wigs in their hair, because supposedly that's a black thing. All races of women must have identity and self esteem issues if they can all watch television and all want to dye, curl, straighten, thicken and lengthen their hair to match what is perceived as ideal. So I guess there is no race whose women are all operating at their full brain potential. But then, the same applies to men regardless of their hair.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back