Black Entertainment : NAACP images......

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by jamesfrmphilly, Mar 4, 2006.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    i saw some of the image awards show.
    the main image i got was that black women sure do not like nappy, natural hair.

2. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    naacp images

i hear ya loud and clear,these so called black awards shows are getting to be just more popularity contest to see and be seen among the rich and wanna be rich which makes them no better than the white ones,sometimes we have to stop tryin to[imulate]and just[originate]..then if you look at the [naacp]in an age where we now call ourselves[african american]isn't[coloured]a little outdated?

3. Lyric Genesis

Lyric Genesis Member MEMBER

the arts
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ya know...I am so tired of of pseudo-conscious, black men grading black women's worthiness on the way we style our hair..
    The most beautiful thing about being a black woman is we have the choice to be nappy,braided, weaved, locked, permed, bald...it's our choice...no more, no less...our white counterparts don't have that choice..It has never been a question of whether we like or dislike wearing our hair natural..
    I have worn my hair natural, and my hair isn't kinky by nature...does this make less black...
    In regards to the NAACP Image Awards, and other awards shows..Yes these events are driven by a strong PR machine..but this is also a vehicle to recognize excellence in the arts..which black folk excel in...we are not trying emulate anything..we have been originators since the beginning of time..and this label thing..colored, black, whatever..who cares...We know who we are and what we are..
    Finally,
    The NAACP as we all know was established by black and white folk(as were many organizations and HBCU's during late 1800 thru the early 1930's)..and is called colored, because its focus is for the minority population that extends beyond the black race..
    So, if all you got from the Award show was images of sistas with straight hair,and black folk attempting to emulate the white masses...then I am sad..really sad.

4. oldiesman

Ratings:
    +120
    it needs to be changed[naabp]along with some new leadership,and yes we do emulate the man more than we care to admit.

5. Lyric Genesis

the arts
    Ratings:
    +0
    The name should not be changed...for what? Well, allow me to digress...What do you propose the name should be?

Emulate..Do you not understand white folk emulate us? All the way down to how they fry their chicken...

We all must take on the form of chalmeons every now and again, but to make such a blanket statement as we need to originate, would imply that we sit on the side lines and wait for things to happen...and that's ridiculous..

Read up on your history brother..and see what we have done and who emulates whom

By the way the NAACP has a new ceo/president...do you think we will be better served if you were he

6. oldiesman

Ratings:
    +120
    change the[coloured]to black,and yes sister we do emulate the man.

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    how do you feel about conscious black men doing it?
    if i can watch the show and see NO black women with natural hair i have a problem.

BTW - welcome to the site.:wave:

8. Lyric Genesis

the arts
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guessn what I'm trying to understand, what is the problem..Sistas who had their natural on...Tracy Ellis Ross, India.Arie, S.Epathamcpherson..to name a few but what does it matter?

Conciousness is not in the hair...i have spoken with locked brothers, who are clueless...brothers with fros who dont read, and brothers with braids who doesn't know who the vice-president is...

That's the thing...conciousnes is a stae of mind and spirit...we all different levels thereof...

Thanks for welcoming me

9. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    I have a problem with black people processing their hair to look white.
    i have a major problem with that.
    if you do not that's all good, but I do.

10. Lyric Genesis

the arts
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok..that's your deal...don't understand it,but I will respect it..
    I will say this...if you were to see my library, and knew my intelluct in regards, to social change, history, and world culture...if I were to tell you of my experiences and world travels, and some of the intellucts, I have broken bread with...you may just consider me concious....a real Black woman with a sense of self and her people...

But if you didn't know those things,as you don't, and you saw me on the street with my blond hair, acrylic tips, designer handbags, and good shoes..you would think I was one lost black sista...

that's all I'm saying..I have never tried to be white, or look white...although I have white blood pulsating through my veins, and most people on the parental side of my family were born with blue eyes and green eyes...and my maternal grandfather had straight hair...

I never judge a black person or anyone on their appearance...because its just that a cover....

Peace brother James