Black People : NAACP / Democratic Pres Candidates

Bruce

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 4, 2003
How big a deal is it to you that four Presidential Candidates did not attend the NAACP Presidential Forum? I don't really think it matters because just as in the last election, black voters vote overwhelmingly for the Democratic Candidate in the general election. I don't suspect that will change even if the Democratic nominee is one of the three Democratic candidates who missed this forum. I disagree with NAACP President Kweisi Mfume that the no-shows were "an afront to African-American voters and to the 94 year old NAACP." I am an African-American voter and I did not feel it was an affront to me that they did not show. I can understand why he would say it was an affront to the NAACP which is his organization. However, Mr. Mfume does not speak for me nor does his organization.
Mr. Mufume points out that the days of taking the black vote for granted are long gone..and I say Amen to that!
Now I am waiting for the day when African-Americans vote for the best candidate for this country and for all of its citizens which include African-Americans. If that candidate happens to be a Republican, Libertarian, or Independent it should not matter. The days of voting only for Democratic candidates need to be long gone as well. Our voting influence should be in every party's camp not just Democrats.

BE

I think the real discussion is the inclusion of ourselves in the complete political process. Republicans are in power. The President and the majority of the House and Senate. I'm not saying we should be republicans...I'm saying we should know who Republicans are since they are the ones running things. We should be an influential voice in both political parties so we have all our bases covered.
There is a difference between historical significance and 2003 political reality.
In 1954, attorneys for the NAACP argued and won Brown Vs Bd. of Education before the Supreme Court. In 1964 and 1965 the NAACPworked with the Johnson Administration in getting the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act passed. I agree that during those times the NAACP spoke for me. I did not know how to speak for myself in the legislative/socioeconomic arena. In fact, their work back then made it possible for me to speak and think on my own today. I am able to see what political ideas suit my way of thinking rather than the way of a particular group or political party. I don't think the "snub" will be a major issue for Black voters in November 2004.. I hope it won't be an issue for the NCAA. I hope they endorse the best candidate that can lead this country and all of its citizens.
Thanks for this discussion, and this discussion site. It is very important that we do this.
be

Well, thing is that most conservative southern Democrats went to the Republican party after those historical events that was progressive for Black people and others went down. Now there are suspiscions with the Republican party and rightfully so based on recent history and their message. Now if the Republican were moderate like there Eastern and some of the Midwestern Republicans of the past used to be (historically, it took a few of those Republican votes(and a white southern Congressman that unintentionally made the laws stronger as to make it unpalatable to vote for-because the one proposed by Johnson and his wing of the Democratic party WAS weaker))-then more Black people would consider being Republican-not to actually join them but consider. With Black people and as Clarence Thomas own grandad(or was that JC Watts dad?) said that Black people voting Republican was like a chicken voting for Col Sanders.

"Democrocks & Republiklans"

I say it this way for a reason: The Dems, including, and every since Kennedy, have been wolves in sheep clothing(too borrow from El-Haij Malikk El-Shabazz), which have been feeding us a smelly brown substance from the crockpot, while the Reps have been outright blatent and cruel with their intentions, i.e, the war on drugs, three strikes legislation, Title1, striking down affirmative action(CA, WA and other individual states), and theft surpassed only by the taking of my ancestors from nature's bosom, and that was "W" and his brother-uncle-cousin Jeb stealing the constitutional right of many blacks , along with the presidency.

Anyway, I agree we should learn more about republicans, but really my brotha; I feel we need a whole brand new menu, as opposed to political leftovers. No matter who we support, the fact remains that they work for a system which is fundamentally not on our side.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back