Black People : "NA' MEAN?" The Genius of Afro-Speech

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Metaverse, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    "You meant to say, - do you know what I mean, it's called English- learn how to use it." Said a White Business Man correcting two Black Urbanite Teens riding the NYC Subway. And like so many Whites in America and Blacks alike he was merely ease dropping on a conversation that did not include him. He felt left out and was passionate about interjecting as to slap down the potential of America being overran by such speech.

Actually he's too late.

Do we really understand the power of language?

Let's take computer languages for example. Mathematics can be called the building blocks for all matter and sound, but math is simply a language. Each symbol represents a number and each number a weight -variable. We are all taught a very confounded and confusing version of mathematics on purpose. For this reason computer languages might be difficult for most of us as well. But all languages, even Math is based upon association.

Computers understand math and logic, and are programmed to recognize key symbols that associate and create commands for how computers behave.

In Layman's terms? The symbols we create for association are arbritrary.

Let's think about this......

Seven couples- Husbands and Wives create their own language by which only they can understand. The language is based off simple mathematics. Basically they re-associate everything that relates to their lives together with their own sounds and written symbols.

The Seven Couples purchase a small island where they could have babies and raise their children in peace speaking only this one created language.

The Seven Couples have children that grow up, marry and breed together only to produce more families. The more generations that are produced the more defined the language becomes.

A New Language is Born.

I've just explained to you how Africa has managed to create thousands of languages. In America we are grossly deceived about the power of language, even those of us who are lucky enough to speak several languages are unaware of the power.

Speaking Ebonics, or any Afro Vernacular is not what makes our people stupid. What makes us stupid is that we cannot create a more defined language our oppressors cannot understand at all- period. Na' mean? But still we have the admit the Genius of Afro speech....look around you, no one else can break down a language like we can.

Its still remarkable that we can take- "you know what I mean?" and make it "na'mean" and have it recognized as the same. For this very reason so many very so-called intelligent Whites who recognize this ability in Black people try to suppress such development....

and some of us are helping them...

Understand this. The purpose of language is to transfer what you mean, what you think, what you are referring to....there is actually no template for a perfect language. Poor Whites taught the slaves, not Shakespeare...and even Shakespeare had his difficulties but managed to pass it off as literature.

Those who try to tie in the education of Blacks with their broken speech or Urban languages are also forgetting that they are actually ease dropping on conversations that usually don't involve them. However if our Vernaculars were taken out of the realm of English speech altogether that would not be a problem. I hardly know any Black people who don't "code switch"- if anything we are the ones who created that ability. You don't talk to your Teacher or your Mother with the same code as you would a best friend or peer. That's just African common sense.

On the tail end, many of our youth are getting mixed signals therefore many have given up the "code switching" idea entirely. So these days, Teenagers are in fact speaking to their Mothers and Teachers with the same codes as they would their peers. White Media, not excluding BET- is making Ebonics popular so Whites can learn and understand the speech, again- to take away power from those who use it to transfer thoughts.

There was a time when Law Enforcement didn't know the codes Blacks were using to communicate very intricate details to one another. Now they do. I guess that would've made tapping someone's cell phone a hard task if you didn't understand why everyone's name was "shawtee." We might laugh about such things but this about some serious power that we are overlooking. For that reason I am created languages, codes, dialects and hopefully it will one day help new generations to understand how languages are created and how they can be used to define a culture.

`peec.n.lub

(peace & love)

2. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Brother, I hear everything you are saying and I agree with most of the points you made. However, in addressing what makes us "stupid", even that depends on the "cultural" context in which one is referring. I say this becuase "getting HYPHY" is exactly that ...."gettin' STUPID" and I think that the thing here is the standpoint by which one determines what is correct or incorrect, what is stupid and what is smart, and who is to say that being "stupid" is a NEGATIVE, as this also is a form of "code switching". Its switching the context of the language itself.

So, the point is I think that our youth still have this ABILITY but have chosen NOT to conform to standard conventional "english" patterns, and remain in "informal" mode as THEIR Standard.

This is an interesting concern you have raised because over the years I have actually had a few white folks refer to my "code switching" becuase it is something that I have always done to the point that though I was born and raised in los angeles, folks thought I was from Brooklyn! And this was due to going to school with white, jewish kids on the westside, some of whom were from New York and talked like Phil Spector or Sandy Koufax. So, I am talking a bout a white Brooklyn accent"....not BedSty. Then, around Black folks people would ask where I was from because I sounded "Eastie" (as one sister called it) even tough my parents were raised in South Central LA. Its even more complicated now living in Texas as I am adopting local speech patterns, but when talking to the local white folks, I still speak a more conventional "standard" english than they do.

I also think that the difference here is that I grew up as "hip hop culture" was developing and the way that Snoop Dogg's "shizlle-talk" has been "commodified", I remember my friends and I developing a similar "language" over 30 years ago as a "code" to confuse wites when we rode on the buses, or when we went to the clubs in Hollywood.

This said, my only disagreement here is that I dont think its a matter of not CREATING a "code" that the oppressers dont understand, but moreso creating several "codes" but then selling them and elevating them to the status of culltural NORM. Kinda how Be-Bop started as a movement related to a form of Beat Poetry and whites caught on and turned it into hollywood fanfare, excluding the Blacks who created Bop.

The same thing is happening with hip-hop, which has become "internationalised".

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Great post and analysis. I have been watching the trends of not only whites learning the toungue. But also learning and practicing the cultre of hip hop.I always say,we stay one step ahead. My parents did, their parents did. so I am very eager to witness what our powerful, young brothers and sitahs will come up with now? It seems when I bump underground (although very seldom) I hear a gravitation back to rock and roll, shall i say more electric/distorted guitars in undaground rap now. the slang changes with da quikness amongst our young geniuses, whites can try but they will never "know" everything. Although these days, i am annoyed and concerned at how much pinky does know . sigh... not to mention our young "pulped fictioned" youth refering to whites as ("my N###a).

4. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Brother Therious, as you stated "I always say, we stay one step ahead", and I have no doubt this will continue. I do have faith that my Daughter and others like her that were raised with a BLACK consciousness will make sure of this. I thinl sometimes Elders tend to underestimate their youth, just as our Elders before us underestimated us. (while typing this im watching a pair of white folks get booed off the Apollo stage...lol!)

5. Zacharias

Zacharias Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Hotep Hau

They're trying to make This Country One Language . But we have too many Immigrants And Too Many Other Language . So the only way to get A Call To Congress to get all these other Language Out . With-Out Making It LQQk Like They Are Anti-United Nations , Is to

fabricate other Code Of Arms . ( I Know And You Know We Don't Want Out Children Talking Ebonics . The following Article gives you an idea of what I'm talking about . Taken From '' The Atlanta Journal - Constitution '' Newspaper , Sunday , September 12 , 1999 A.D. Issue , Entitled Watch Your Language - Worker Fighting Back Against English - Only Policies On The Job '' By Martha Irvine .

And It States ; '' Carlos Solero Couldn't Believe His Ears When His Bosses Started Reprimanding Him For Speaking Spanish On The Job . '' Even If I Was Singing To Myself Or Just Mumbling , I Would Get A Warning , '' The 31- Year - Old Assembly - Line Worker Says Of The '' English Only '' Policy His Bosses Instituted At A Suburban Chicago Manufacturing Plant Two Years Ago . The Company Said The Policy Was Needed To Improve Communication On Its Assembly Line . Eventually , Solero Was Asked To Sign A Work

Agreement That Included The Policy . But He Refused , '' I Told Them . '' You Cannot Shut Me Up . '' Says Solero , Who Was Fired Three Days Later . Now He And Seven Other Spanish - Speakers And The Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commision Have Filed Lawsuits Against Watlow Batavia , A Metal - Casting And Assembly Plant In Batavia , 111. Legal Experts Say It Part Of A Growing Movement Against Employers Who Try To Force Workers

To Speak English On The Job . '' I Think We're Going To See More And More Of These Types Of Lawsuits , Especially As The Population Of Immigrants Grows And More Language Are Spoken In The Workplace , '' Says Jose Behar , And EEOC Attorney Handling The Agency's Lawsuit Against Watlow ...

6. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    ...Couple that story with the one that say that the Government funded over $865,000 for a honding pen to be built down in New Orleans to "hold" immigrants when the Immigrant population in this country gets "too high..."

KD

7. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breath free.
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me.
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

That's the message on the Statue of Liberty, rumored by the way to be modeled after a Black Woman, which is most likely true since there is so much denial about it. So how does a Nation of Immigrants become so concerned an Immigration? -- Power. Plain and simple.

Immigration stats shows that Mexico has the highest rates of Immigration into the United States, followed loosely by China. Bush has already said in order to be in this country you should speak English. Of course, to serve the Neocon agenda. An enemy must be defined, before that enemy can be destroyed. White Americans have always seen indigenous people as the enemy, for that reason Whites who import themselves here from other countries are not labeled as Immigrants....they're just family.

And as Brother Kwabena has pointed out, America is preparing for a growing problem. Remember the enemy has to be defined first. This is why we had Black Men volunteering for the "Minute Men" group that patrols the Mexican border. Even some of us see them as "an enemy." Imagine that. Some Black people will do anything to serve the agenda of Whites, even when that agenda includes them.

Mexicans are not the enemy. I would even say logically and based on spiritual knowledge Mexicans are the descendents of the tribes that retreated from pre-America holocausts. And if any of us are really concerned about Mexicans taking "our jobs" we need to learn something about job creation. Mexicans are not taking "our jobs" they are doing the jobs no one else wanted to do, or they are taking the pay no one else wants to take. So if we were blowing leaves for $3.00/hr- then yes...Mexicans are taking our jobs.

But Blacks aren't doing anything for $3.00/hr collectively, because we have the burden and history of slavery to deal with....we want to get "paid." By now, we should've all amassed enough Knowledge and skills to create our own comfortable Nations.....but our problem is organization. So we'd rather fight Mexican Immigration than get our own Black behinds into a Nation of our own...which is not America.

This brings me back again to language. At this rate-in 20-30 years Spanish will be mandatory for all of America. This is already the case in some cities, especially cities like Miami. If you think that scares you, you should see how Whites are shaking. This is not the vision Hitler gave them. A White Aryan Master race...speaking spanish?? Oh no...

We should all think about this....don't let their Maps fool you...America could fit inside Africa. We are the masters of language for a reason. We formed languages are hybrid tongues so we could understand different tribes. This is another way languages are invented. English itself is only the leftovers of hybrid languages, or common words, "figures of speech" etc.,

We should see Mexicans are just another tribe that we need to communicate with in order to grow and live together in peace within this country. Not as "an enemy"- this is the thinking of non-imaginative people. Learning a language might seem hard, but creating a hybrid language of common or like sounds and associations is really not that hard if we apply ourselves to it.

Hip-Hop has demonstrated for us that we are language creators. We must also understand that most of the science of language creation happens during childhood. For this reason a grown Man might greet a childhood buddy using the same codes or language they learned as children. Hip-Hop is a testament to that, because it's dialects and codes are all youth friendly. What is also interesting is how African minds adapt to dialects. For example, most Brooklyn dialects are actually Caribbean and Italian mixes.

Jadakiss has a very heavy Italian influence in his dialects. And usually rappers from Brooklyn are known for their "nasal" speech, which is a marriage between Jewish and Italian Brooklyn dialects. Biggie's Brooklyn dialect came from his Carib background as well. Busta Rhymes, KRS-One most of these rappers use their Carib dialects.

Tu-Pac for example developed a unique dialect because of his Harlem influence. Most West Coast dialects come from a Native American influence, Snoop Dogg is a good example of that.

8. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    EGO TRIPPIN....WHITES AND HIP HOP...

Instead of creating a separate thread I decided to address stomething here. ( By the way, great points...my own speech patterns are complicated because of the fact that I married a native Spanish speaking Black woman from Panama, who grew up in Brooklyn).

I have been watching the VH1 program EGO TRIP which is about aspiring WHITE rappers, another reality program. These folks are beyond what we used to call "wiggers". I am sure that this is a sign that white folks are seriously damaged from within. So my concern here is how white folks have become "ghettoized" while hip hop is experiencing another trend with Pharrel, Jamie Foxx and especially Kanye West. The emergence of the Black N.E.R.D. and GEEK Squad.

And it seems on a fashion tip that the Black NERDS role model is no doubt Russell Simmons, and to a lesser degree Jay-Z, who musically is moving into that ROCK direction brother Therious spoke of.

The thing is, if more Black youth move into this direction, it seems that not only will our language totally become "crosses-over" but totally assimilated within "mainstream" culture.

The funny thing about this program tonight was watching a white boy from Texas who looked like a death metal rocker win a trivia quiz given by Grandmaster Caz, in a project in South Bronx, against the other white aspiring rappers, which included a white girl from the Bronx.

The point is, not only has Black vernacular been "mastered" by whites in urban cities on the East and West coast, but SOUTHERN whites seem to now becoming the ICONS of hip hop.

Like the old school saying goes, "I dont know what this world is coming to".

From a Nation of Millions, to a Nation of a Million Paul Walls.

Babylon definitely IS Fallen.

But where is that leaving US?

9. emanuel goodman

emanuel goodman Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker
    Ratings:
    +759
    Fa sho

I have often equated so called urban slang as just a different dialect of english being a product of broken english (being taught by the tama-hu)mashed with our natural tounque. However since it was a product of black america it should be shunned and looked upon as negative until it becomes profitable(see stewart scott sports center). Great post my man i have perviously echoed the same sentiments.!

10. Zacharias

Zacharias Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Hotep Hau

Where you get the word ( tama-hu ) from if I may ask ...