Black People : N-I-G-G-A versus N-I-G-G-E-R

Coach707

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 30, 2006
I had a white student ask me, "why do black kids call each other the "n" word, but if I or any other white students use that word they try to kill us!" I responded in a way that may or may not make much sense to any of you, but once again I put my thoughts out there for all to scrutinize.

I told this young man that its not what you say, its how you say it. I have heard many white kids use the word "N-i-g-g-a" when talking to other white kids, and even some black kids. The word "n-i-g-g-a" is a spin off of the oridinal word "n-i-g-g-e-r" used to demoralize and dehumanize African American slaves during the Jim Crow Era. I told him that its amazing what a simple "er" at the end of that word brings back many racial sensitivities in the black community. I explained to him that the word "n-i-g-g-a" is a non-chalant term of endearment directed toward another black man. Not that I advocate the use of this word in refrence to a black man, I simply told him that I understand the point, and I think that the spin off use of the word give less power to the purpose of the original word.

The word "n-i-g-g-e-r" in my opinion represents a sub-conscious hate message that apparently is sent in order to establish superiority over the oppressed reciever. I told him that the word "n-i-g-g-e-r" cannot be justified in my eyes because it is more than a word, it is a concept formed to deem the African race inferior.

As I said, I dont necessarily agreee with my brothers and sisters calling each other n-i-g-g-a, but I think I understand.

Thoughts? Comments? How do you guys think I did in schooling this young white kid?

" had a white student ask me, "why do black kids call each other the "n" word, but if I or any other white students use that word they try to kill us!" I responded in a way that may or may not make much sense to any of you, but once again I put my thoughts out there for all to scrutinize."

LOL.....I had a white woman ask me the same thing, (why can Blacks say *****, but we can't?). I guess she wanted to vent on one of us ni*****. I asked her: Now, as intelligent as you appear to be, why on earth would you want to call Black person ***** period? Personally, I don't think BP should use it at all. With all the slang and nicknames we invent, why do we hang on to it, knowing it has slave roots?

As for the student, I Think you handled that fairly well;)

I would've told him not to say it period. What will he acheive in saying it?

I hope we not about to play with this word that is BANNED in
this community , next time tell him to ask his daddy , we as people
should know this was a slave name given to us by the slave drivers
we shouldn't use this in any way or form , we have to stop our youth from
using it , stop supporting Rappers who use it and deem everything tied to
it as people , no matter how it's spelled it all means the same ...............

It's sad to even see this thread, something not worth discussing
again be aware this word is BANNED from this community in any way
shape or form........

This IMO is a dead issue.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back