Pan Africanism : Mysticism in Capoeira

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Corvo, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    There are many concepts in Capoeira that are different to western notions.
    Here I hope that some may take the time to read and see our history within these pages.

Mysticism in Capoeira

Much has been written about Capoeira – whether as a fight, game, dance, art, folklore, popular culture, etc. – by the initiatives of laymen, of scholars, of Mestres, as well as academics (not just in Brazil but in various countries) in monographs, dissertations, and theses. We don’t intend to broach any of those themes, not because we consider them less important (which would be a great untruth, given that
    Capoeira is a holistic universe, where everything occurs at the same time), but instead take a new approach, which I believe has not been taken because of the difficulty of obtaining details in this area.
    Mestres who know the root of these secrets are rare, and even rarer are the Mestres who teach them. With this, it becomes almost impossible to transmit this knowledge to the newest generations. This has resulted in the scene we see today, in which Capoeira practitioners just imitate or at least try to imitate the movements, sing the songs without knowing what they are singing, modify the rhythms, and never
    manage to understand Capoeira’s sacred rituals, thus contributing to the complete profanation of the art. Upon approaching this topic, we will first need to understand the concepts of imminence and transcendence. In order to reach the goals of this work, techniques of philology will be used through the process of hyphenating words, with the aim of better explaining their meanings.

For this study, we understand the “imminent” as things that make up part of the world. Therefore, their values are for this same world: such as physical and chemical matters (weight, height, density, atomic molecular structure), economic aspects (such as values of buying and selling), and perhaps even historical or archeological elements – all in all, as long as a given object simply exists.

http://www.capoeira-connection.com/capoeira/downloads/Mysticism.pdf

OUR HISTORY, FROM FATHER TO SON
    (Based on the Bible in Deuteronomy 6:4-9 and Psalms 90:15-16)
    Photo 1: Photo from Christiano Jr. taken in the 1860s, in which a slave boy learns capoeira with another slave. The richness of this photo, beyond its historical aspect, resides in the fact that even today the same teaching method is used in the Art of Capoeira: holding the student’s hands, as the true mestres do.

“Listen. Son, Olorum is our only God and Lord. Love him with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. Honor the blood spilled by your parents and fight for the liberty of your descendents. And these words that I tell you today will be engraved in your heart, and you will teach them to your children, and your children will teach them to your grandchildren, and so on. Meditate on them in the senzalas, wherever you are, and he will free you. Do not fear those who enslave you; stay alert in because you will see the marvels of Olorum (the Creator) on the day of liberation.”

2. kruegger55

kruegger55 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I always wanted to learn Capoeira. Maybe i will get a chance to in the future.