Black People : MYSTICAL MAGICAL AFRICAN AMERICANS...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    I hope that folk are not offended by this post, as it is just my humble opinion... But, sometimes, I believe we African people do more harm to ourselves than good by our preoccupation with the mystical notions we have of the world around us... Our interest in things like astrology, religion, the occult, numerology, and even hitting the number and playing lotto, I feel is a major detriment to our rise as a community...

I saw, as a boy, my mother bringing home all of this holy water and annointed oil and prayer cloths, and even then it struck me as silly and superstitious... I saw my dad running and playing the numbers, and even I fell into the whole Yacub piece when I joined the Nation Of Islam as a kid... I actually felt that sort of eschatology was on point, and to some extent now, I believe it was necessary to approach African Americans in that way, because that's our weakness - we believe in the mysterious... It's a carryover, and African retention, the talismans, the mojos, the rabbit's foot, and all that(smile!)

I think we take it a little over the top, the Isis Papers, and all of that madness... Don't get me wrong, I know other groups have their own superstitions, and sheer nonsense, too... But we aren't in a postion to be putting our energy into how Melanin makes us superior theories... I am sorry if that offends... That is not my intent... All I can say is that with all of our melanin, we are like topping all of the lists of diseases, and have mortality rates that are worse now than ever... I believe that our dependency on the mystical and magical over sound reasoning and analysis perpetuates our ills and problems in this world...

I say that knowing that our unique view of looking at the cosmos is one which I cherish, but which I feel we must begin to take a harder look at... If we are ever to throw off the yoke of oppression, we must stop depending on astrological charts and crazy religions and theories, and invest more of our time on the concrete matters of the world, like saving our money, investing our money, and building Schools and Businesses for our children... Then, when we've got millions, we can invest in some lotto tickets(smile!) Again, no offense to those who are The True Believers...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Peace,

Interesting post. (even though I'm spiritual )

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Be careful what you say Isaiah....someone might do JuJu to you!

4. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Qa

I think you make the mistake of lumping something as mundane as playing lotto in with tried and true spiritual systems.

The black man and woman existed for tens of thousands of years because we made a comprehensive connection between macrocosm and microcosm. Simply put the forces of nature/neter were put to use in totallity and unfettered. So much so that your ancient greeks had to torture and beg us to teach them SOME of what we knew

Our greatest spiritual and political legacy is written in stone. Not unlikethe Mayans of Mesoamerica.

True, black people could use and invest their money more wisely, but this is just part of the solution. The enemy does not simply rely on economics or politics to maintain the status quo. He uses ritual. Rituals performed by 33rd degree scottish rite freemasons and rituals performed by high initiates in the papacy.

These are rituals that based on spiritual "techniques" learned by black people. Civilazations today exist on gifts of yesterday. For the last 2000 years all of the major european countries have been headed by Qabals that passed down metaphysical secrets and fiscal/political tricknology from one generatoin to the next.

If one were to take a look at washington D.C. from the air. you would see the city streets delineating masonic symbols. Throughout the entire capital there are secret masonic markers and symbols. This was done in secret. and anyone who knows about scottish rite freemasonry knows that this is a society predicated on Khemetic principles and archetypes

So my brotha, it is indeed true. We are dealing with princes and principalities. No politcal/economic solutions can rescue us. because the weapons of warfare are not conventional

5. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    Brother Isaiah very interesting thread and Brother Sekhemu very interesting reply.......Angel

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    What is superstitious?

Good response Brother Sekhemu.

Brother Isaiah, I'm not offended by your thread. I just wanted to let you know that first off. As I read your "commentary" I think I understand your sentiments but I don't necessarily agree with your thesis or logic. For me, it's too narrow...and please don't take offense by my observation because I mean no disrespect.

I'm no authority on African religions as many others like Brother Sekhemu are, but my layman sense is that Africans and their religiosity and spirituality are deeply rooted in our nature and it's permeated throughout our various culture(s). I believe that we have some innate ability to know that we are not separate beings from any other form of nature on this planet and because of that, we are constantly seeking a connection to a spiritual source of power through various forms of rituals and religious/spiritual practices.

There was a time, and not that long ago, when, like you, I didn't understand all the rituals and religious practices that Black people got involved in. When I was younger, my friends and I used to make fun of people we heard called "sanctified" or "holy rollers". What I didn't understand, I use to denounce as witchcraft or plain silliness simply because it didn't make sense to me. That's because I was never taught to think differently. I was ignorant and lacked knowledge and accurate information. I've since learned not to discredit anyone's beliefs or their ritual practices because the power of one's mind when it finds a connection with the universe can do awesome things.

I'm sure you're familiar with the saying, "one man's trash is another man's treasure". That may be a crude analogy but I think it does bear some merit in this situation. People are and do what they believe in. If what you see people doing is not what you think they should be doing, is a choice that each of us has a right to make. No matter what our practices or rituals are, if a person believes in them, they will do what they want to do and when something good happens to them, they will certainly give credit for it to their spiritual beliefs and when bad things happen they will often accept that it was meant to be.

Just my humble opinion...
    Queenie :spinstar:

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Thank you, Angel... You're an Angel whether you agree with me or not(smile!)

Now, Sista Queenie and Brotha Sekehmu, I am reconsidering their memberships in my fan club :laugh:

But seriously, I am not saying that we should NOT worship our various and sundry deities in the way that we've been worshipping them all of these thousands of years... I respect folks right to worship their Gods, and to worship them in whatever form or fashion they choose... I worship God, and I do it my way, and would object to anyone telling me to do My Thang Their Way... But my point is more about one of balance and using logic and reasoning along with my spirituality...

Like any other religionist or spiritualist, I have my disagreements with some practices and rituals(animal sacrifice, speaking in tongues, segregating men and women, not allowing women to preach, et, al.)but that would have no bearing on my respect of persons to worship after their traditional fashion... Every religion actually has something of value to offer us all... I just think that some of us place to much FAITH in our rituals and practices, and leave the work that needs to be done in GOD'S HANDS...in THE STARS...DOWN BY THE RIVERSIDE...BY THE KAABA...

There's an admonition in the bible about FAITH WITHOUT WORKS is DEAD... I take that seriously... I try to take that one step God requires for two on HER behalf(smile!)

This is a tough subject for a lot of folks - particularly for African folks... Nevertheless, we have to challenge ourselves to deal forthrightly with the hard cold facts of our beliefs... It is not simply people worshipping their Gods, it is people doing the prayer cloths and annointed oils piece... I have yet to see where these kinds of religious paraphernalia ever benefitted the buyers(smile!) And the numbers and lotto playing...peops, if y'all don't think that's relevant to a discussion like this, please, think again... Please think again... That is about placing one's hopes in some unseen power, in luck, if you will... It is really all relative...

I would that we would do the practical thing first, before investing in the Holy Water and the JuJu beads... In this society, it is about dollars, not cowrie shells... I aint making commentary on the RIGHTNESS of the economic system under which we live, I am saying that until we change it, that is WHAT it is... Can ya dig it???(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    :lol: @ Brother Isaiah...*smh* Didja really have to go there? Juju beads and cowrie shells? Yes, it's about balance, but does that necessarily resonate to mean "equal" on both sides? Ok..ok...I understand your point but I'm not sure that I can agree with you that people can place TOO much faith in their religions and rituals. How can any of us say that brother? By whose standard do we judge each other? Aren't you assuming that everyone wants the same things or places the same amount of value on what they think is important? And don't you think it's a bit presumptuous to think that good fortune can only come by a single approach? Define practicality and is it universal in it's definition and application? On the point about "faith without works"...what do you think a faithful person must do to demonstrate that they are also working toward something? If you had said that all a person does is go to church on Sundays, prays for good fortune but does absolutely nothing else for themselves or anyone else, then I'd agree, there is a misguided individual. But playing the lottery takes effort, not to mention some form of financial "investment." Why there are a number of examples of people who are living large today because they decided to get up out of their lazy boy lounge chair and purchase a ticket. Can't win unless you buy one. It can be defined as "work" am I right? Prayer cloths and annointed oils take energy and thought too. It starts with a dream and then a decision to try and achieve those dreams. May not be the same way you and I might approach it, but at least they're doing more than just sitting around waiting for something to fall out the sky or someone to die. Maybe you don't believe in them or I may not believe in them, but who are we to tell those that do believe in them they're nothing more than a bunch of superstitious mumbo-jumbo? I'm still a member of your fan club brother, I just don't agree with you on this point even if I do understand where you're coming from! I can dig it! :)

Queenie :spinstar:

9. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Queenie, does "NN" stand for NoNONsense???(smile!) "Cause you just aint havin' none of this shuga honey I'm talkin', is ya??(smile!) Well, I've learned my lessons about arguing with women at this website... The lessons are still very fresh on my backside(smile!)

That means I believe that Africans should continue on being quite Mystical, and truly Magical... Who knows, one day maybe after the baby be born, or I git dat itch in muh left hand, I'll go play my numbah, and my ship'll pull up in the dock... Betta believe, brotha gone be gone to the great hereafer right'chere on earth(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Brother Isaiah, what you just received was a luv tap! It's okay to vent e'ry now and then, we sistas that are grounded in reality understand that our brothers need a shoulder to cry on when times get hard and your frustration level is in the red zone! So now that you've benefitted from a sista's patience and wisdom, put your feet back on the ground and let's move on to some more critical discussion! Deal? :D

Peace,
    Queenie :luvv: