Black People : My Spiritual Awakening......

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by epiphany, Sep 21, 2001.

1. epiphany

epiphany Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +40
    This past 2 weeks has been a spiritual awakening for
    me in a lot of ways. We talk and discuss many topics,
    and we each have our different opinions whether conflicting or agreeable. I, in this disaster have had
    conflicting emotions, sympathizing with the victims and their families, blaming the US for thier involvement and responsibility in this tragedy, anger towards racist whites that even after all this they still hate, the way people of Arab American descent are being treated as a backlash to the catastrophe in NYC, WASHINGTON, AND PA. Sometimes the easiest way to release anger is to blame, and in doing so we rob ourselves of the real message in all of this. I watched a program tonight, in which one of the passengers of the flight 93..(the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania)..Todd Beemer, who with other brave passengers thwarted the plan to demolish another target that would have resulted in 1,000's of more deaths, the last person he talked to was a black woman named Lisa Jefferson, (his wife's name was also Lisa)...she was able to give his wife the last comforting words she needed from him to cope with the lost. A young Indian child who lost his uncle when a white man shot his uncle to death, thinking he was from Afghanistan, the boy was afraid to leave his house, go to school....and cried on national TV. It was at this point that I shed my tears for the first time since this tragedy happened. I mourned, but I didn't cry.
    It was at that point that I realized this isn't about..black or white, Christian, Jews or Islam. Its about Waking Up! and looking around and seeing what hate, racism, greed and little concern for fellow human suffering is doing to our souls. We are dying spiritually each day, look around, parents killing children....children killing children, children killing parents and we go about our daily lives....not caring. The lives in those disasters were not just White people, they were Hispanic, Black, Asian, Indian, Arab......all the nationalities of this world.
    Maybe this is a warning, just like Noah warn people
    before the rain, just like when Lot went to the city of
    Sodom and Gomorrah to find one person without sin...
    To stop the fighting, stop the bickering, stop the hating,
    and to begin loving your neighbors, loving your wives,
    sons, daughters....ridding yourselves of malice......
    wicked tongues, vindictive thoughts........its a choice,
    that until now didn't really seem so crucial.....I know some poets have already spoke of trusting God, walking in the spirit, and the spiritual implications, I think to not see the signs of the times....as they have been unfolding
    for the last 20 years is comparable to walking with
    scales on your eyes. Its scary, but if you know God....he will keep you....guide you and prepare you for whatever fate lies in store. This has been a true spiritual
    awakening for me, through poetry I have read here,
    the coming together of all people in this crisis, and recognizing what state this country will be in if we don't come together as African Americans, as human beings,
    as God's children and stop the HATE! We can't change
    a person's racist attitudes, thats between them and God,
    but we can take the responsibilty and change ourselves,
    and try to make a difference with whatever our God-given gift is to pass along a positive message, this is my gift......the gift to write.........and this is why I want to share my feelings, hopefully a few people will read this
    and feel the same and share it with as many people
    that will listen.....and thats my contribution to
    change......and I believe the......... will of God.......

Much love.....Epiphany
    :heart:

2. Thandiwe

Thandiwe Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Well I might go to hell for this one!

Well I'm not always clearing in explaining myself but here goes...

one thing that has bothered me about this whole situation. people ar doing these things because of their beliefs in their god. i think that religion actually has done more to keep us apart than pull us together. this country has spent the last two weeks basically in prayer. don't confuse my statements as being uncaring for those killed and affected by the horrific acts. we here in MN have had reports of attacks against middle easterner, arab-looking, and muslim people. so they are being affected as well. my heart goes out to ALL affected.

however here we are singing God bless america, others on the other side of the world are burning american flag, and weaponry into the air, celebrating. again, in the name of their god.

how can we as a world survive if there is no one God?

many a holy wars have and will take place, how do we really come together as people in this universe.

this is what will save us. respecting each other and the roles we are to really play in our lives. but with so many religions, who to say which one is right? so again, can we ever live together not just as americans but all of us as earthlings.

and let me say this to you Epiphany, no disrespect of your beliefs and statements made here. i actually agree with you on quite a few of your points.

my spiritual awakening is alittle different. i feel we as people have destroyed and will continue to destroy the world, and we think we are more advanced and intelligent than animals. it is that knowledge that allows us to destroy.

if only we could live as simply as the animals...

3. epiphany

United States
    Ratings:
    +40
    I agree.....

with you Thandie, I.... in know way claim to be an authority on religious beliefs, but as individuals we have to start somewhere. Our personal beliefs is just that, exclusively ours. The way one person worships may be different from another. Who is to say except the individual or the group, you're right, the points you make....but everyone or at least some people should have the ability to know right from wrong and that is what should set us apart from animals. I think the problem is that people confuse religion with the spiritual, there is a difference....religion is the belief of a supernatural power regarded as the creator(that can mean anyone's interpretation of what that could be, hence using the phrase, God Bless America as a prerequisite to rob and maim, and murder for the sake of a religion.) However, spirituality is the state or fact of being spiritual which is basic humanity and morals in each of us, if we choose. How we treat each other is a choice, a personal choice. I don't propose to change the whole world, heck if a war breaks out, noone will probably be here to make a difference anyway. I am a lover of my people (African American) and I try to treat people the way I would like to be treated.......sometimes I come across people that I just can't get with, but that then becomes their problem not my own. You know Thandie, each one of us have to discover that walk with God on our own...... I can only share what that discovery has done for me. Unfortunately, the decision making people happen to be the ones in office claiming GOD BLESS AMERICA! So we have to think and rationalize for ourselves.

thanx for your post and your insight......Epiphany:heart:

4. shaneak

shaneak Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Support engineer
    Ratings:
    +7
    Interesting Thoughts....

Epiphany... I too have had a spiritual awakening.. Mine has been going on for some time now... actually throughout this year.. But Sept 11 is the first time it hit home. Our government has issues.. has since day one.. Our people has issues.. had since day one. Who ever told them it was okay to come to another country and takes those peoples homes.. Who ever told those people to go to another country and take those Africans only to treat them like animals.. Who told those Africans to sell their fellow kinman... not even knowing if they would be okay once the left the country. We are wrong... in either way we look at.

They say applications for gun permits has gone up. They say job employment is going down... They say...foreigners are scared to leave the house.. Americans say... they are scared from day-to-day. The American children are on the news saying kill those Terrorists... Our Presidents decides to get cocky.. hollering ..."Either your with us or your with the terrorist."... And i'm taking all this in. I can only make what i choose to make of it.. But the point is.. its been said.. its been done.

I personally never expected anything like this...I thought our day would come by the Words of my Father. I learned differently.... I never thought that our personal issues between countries.. the reason why america became america in the first place.. would be the same reason why our kingdom would fall. Religion.... Me personally.. I'm not too fond of Bush.. I have no respect for him or the government right now. Because the government is for the people... But Bush won this years election for himself... And all i could say then was.. just let me make it through these 4 years.. And the *****(excuse my french)... Is about to take us into a war and he hasn't even been in office a year!!! It ain't looking good and it ain't adding up. He said that they were going to cut off all the terrorist funds... What the hell does that mean? Why have you been supporting them this long.. When our people are homeless.. dieing... killing themselves. We as black say.. now.. well what about us... and why should we fight in the war... Well i say... if they don't kill you over their.. if they get into the states.. do you think they'll care if you're an African American... Hell i was born an raised here... and i'm black.. but when they got a gun to my head and i say.. well i'm an African American....The point is you're still an american.. so you want to protect your ground and live to ***** another day.. or die just because of your race. (Which only means we're still separating ourselves... another reason why we are still separated...)I heard on the news that Lauden support group said they were aiming at American and Jews... noticed they only said american.. so tell me.. do you think we'll get any special treatment.. because I've noticed that some many of us think we do.. they think we're different.. and truth of the matter is... We aren't

My views on the future in progress: I think it going to get worse before it gets better.. but i also think that US will come out bigger.. better... stronger.. morally.. emotionally and mentally. this incident has affected our country tremendously... Right down to the kids... And that means something... We as people are coming together on a common ground and many with a common respect.. because whether anyone knows it or not.. Americans could not stand their ground if we as African Americans was not standing with them... And we as Africans Americans need to realize that and the move forward.. We have college kids protesting war.. and calling for peace and unity amongst our fellow americans.. black, white and yellow. I heard on the radio that the government wanted to make ID cards for all americans and they have to put their fingerprint and all their personal info on this card...and we are suppose to carry that around at all times. "Security" important and necessary.. not to mention they've been waiting for this for sometime.. heres their chance.. and what i bitched about 6 months ago.. I can now accept.. only knowing.. that I couldn't do a dang thing illegal :x: But thats cool safer for me... and less risks.. How will that help us.. we have bad people in our country... just makes it a little safer on us as a whole. Strange.. how my views have changed drastically since Sept 11 since Jan 2001. And i'm sure that if i have changed...their is more out their whose looking at the world from a whole nother angle also... oh well.. heres my two cents again.. I hope you guys enjoy!!! :D

5. dnommo

dnommo Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher of English, Literature & Poetry
    Ratings:
    +15
    hmmm, some interesting comments. well, i shall be brief but i wanted top share some insight.

First, the real problem is the fact of religion. People who have religion is not really believing the GOd but in the experience. They fall in line with doctrine rather than faith. Islam, Judaism, Chrisitanity and so ofrth are FAITH SYSTEMS not religions. How can i say this? Simple. Because they all believe in one true God. There are certain groups within these religions, (SHIITE MUSLIMS, SHEIK Muslims; Othodox and Non Orthodox Jews; Baptist, Protestant, Catholics and Methodist Christianity) that implement doctrine and even within them there are extremists. A faith system beleives in one God for there is onle one true GOD. God is given different names in different cultrues. The dissention between such religious factions is not about who GOD is but, like in the Middle East, conflicts over land. Or in Ireland, where fights between Protestants and Catholics, is over beliefs. Their battles have gone on for so long that some don't even know what they are fighting for today. It has reached a place of fighting for a cause to fighting because of hatred.

When it somes down to spirituality one must seek to have a fith system in GOD first because the Spirit comes from GOD as well as everything else. Now please don't think i am attempting to slide my belies in. I am not. I am addressing the subject from a Theologian perspective which is what I am. We all have our own beliefs but it is not just for us. Our spirituality, as one put it, influences how we live, act, walk and talk. The question coems down to whose spirit is guiding your life? The Spirit of God or the Spirit of Evil?

As we look at the circumstances of 9/11/01 we must not look at it as a "Hly War" because it is not. It was a terroroist attack by a group of fanatics that never liked the United States in the first place. They place the title Holy War on anything in that country because to them it is honorable to die for what you believe. That is the real key to what is happeneing. Their discipline and obedience to God is so strong that they are willing to die for what they believe in. The misunderstanding is that no religious, spritiual or fatih system teaches that dyding for what you beleives in means suicide. This is why Holy Wars are a lot more dangerous than any other conflict. When you have a group of people who stand for their believes like Schadrach, Meshack, and Abednego in the Book of Daniel who enter the fiery furnace on behalf of their God (they refused to denounce Him) then you have a very dangerous group of people.

The United States will never fight for a religious, spiritual or faith belief simply because they have abuses their Constitutional right of freedom of religion. A Constitution that was created on Christian values not Catholicism which was the belief of Europe at the time. The U.S. doesn't understand what has happened because they are in denial of what they've done to others. It is simple: YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW. f you sow negativity and hatred you will reap the smae except in greater abundance. Although we today did not sow the seeds, we are reaping the harvest of it.

You will sow seeds that will be harvested by descendants you will never know and you will reap the harvest of seeds planted by ancestors you've never met...

Our goal in life today is to plant goos seeds of love, encouragement, compassion and understanding. As long as we continue to go to and fro about this topic then we are continually planting seeds of confusion. Enough is enough.

Stop looking at the big picture and ask yourself how YOU can be a positive influence on your environment instead of being influenced by your environment...

okay, i'll shut up now....

6. epiphany

United States
    Ratings:
    +40
    Shaneak, I think you would have to be on an island, with no tv or means of transportation,,,,,,,to not have been affected by what happened. I think for us all, the real
    concern is being vulnerable....and not knowing where this is going. I agree with you about Bush, I expected some
    changes when he got in office, but I had no idea it would be
    of this magnitude and so quickly.......You have companies
    that were established going out of business and 1,000's of
    people being laid off and Bush has only been in office less
    then 8 months. It sort of makes you say hmmmmmm. I don't think I ever had confidence in the government, simply
    because of what it has always stood for. I really have a problem with the media and how they inflamed already
    desperate, scared people into a false frenzy.......without, substanial cause, inducing more confusion. This is why I say, the only place we really can turn...is not man, but God.....and whomever that is for any of us, we just need to pray. Moreover, I think the majority of American people may come out of this with a better spirit.....however I question the Government. Because it is run by the same right wing majority thinking White men that has sat in those seats since the United States Government came into power.

I thank you for your views Shaneak as always, you add your two cents anytime.....

Welcome Dnommo, I would like to ask you a question: Do you really believe that the United States doesn't realize or uuderstand what they have done?
    I appreciate your post and I agree on everything you said, I just question...that particular thing. Because I believe the United States know exactly what they have done and they get away with it because they keep Americans uninformed,
    by keeping us blind to just one side of the story... theirs... or creates a red herring to keep the focus off whats really going on behind closed doors. I watch the media methodically taking bits and pieces to form a picture of what they want the American people to see and react to......The discord that happens with any particular flammable subject, they fan the flames, with thier statistics and partial reporting. The problems comes because so many Americans are gullible to what they see and hear, they don't bother to delve deeper into the truth.....they just react.

Again, I want to thank Shaneak and Dnommo and Thandie for your viewpoints........

Epiphany

:heart:

7. dnommo

dnommo Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher of English, Literature & Poetry
    Ratings:
    +15
    actually what i said was they don't because they are in DENIAL of it. I shall state it in another way. They don't want to know. The United States sole purpose is freedom. Freedom of this and freedom of that and they are willing to destroy other lands, kill millions of people for the sake of freedom. This is simple human nature.

I read either in this column or another that someone tries to get along with everybody but if there is someone that they don't "feel" or ar comfortable around then it is both partied problem. I beg to differ. There are always people that we may not like to be around or they don't "feel" right but it's not their proplem, it's the problem of the person who feels uncomfortable. I've had people feel uncomfortable around me because my size makes me seem intimidating but that's not fro me to change. It's theri perception. If they go on what i look like without attempting to find our who i may be then that is teir loss. In other words, i don't sweat the small stuff.

The U.S. constantly wants to be the world's hero and they intervene in places they should not but because they feel they are justified, then they will never see what they have done...

That's what i meant. While the atrocity may be documented, that doesn't mean that they will acknowledge it. In other words, We created the concept of "acceptable casualties" and "plausible denialbility".

Food for thought...

8. BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE

BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Nefertum Husia Shayheh MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    Actually by traveling across the planet via military and when i got out voluntarily, i still pursued truths. See in order to get a grasp, well, in order to get a grasp on myself i need to see the world for what it was which is nothing more or less of just a bunch of kingdoms order in intelligence. Of course, getting to know my family was a great deal of exploration while walking within my journey indeed it was. See when you have no parents who are where they need to be in life and you see that from your eyes as dependability yet interdependency based on your needs to strive of a difference to push the prophecy of greater good as whole, then you imagine and embody yourself into them as much as you can like a muse and etc. So once you get that understanding of why, well in my case, the awakening process had occurred or was ongoing since a kid though not wise enough to overcome what i have experienced now. People say it is a matter of time, though if time does not exist meaning the mathematical equivalent of calligraphy drawn from suppose degrees as a line from point A to point B, then how you mind? Where do you begin to "feel" you versus the constant dumping of the next man and wombman flaws cause they say we are together based on political arrangement and so called reality they perceived? Which way is up and north? Who do you believe in? Why are we still breathing? Yes my spiritual awakening through conversations shared with others sometimes leaves them lost due to lack of attention span but never lost in my own mind and heart, since loving myself without care of words nor actions from others. The ants taught me that food for thought. Carry on.

(Diary of a Black Man: Just An Illusion) Copyright 2014