Black Sports : My son wrestled in his very first match yesterday

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by MississippiRed, Oct 28, 2005.

1. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Man yall I was so proud....here's a little background.. my 11 year old comes home about 3 weeks ago and says " can I sign up for the wrestling team" so he signs up and has been practicing for 3 weeks after school everyday..yesterday the school have their first match and man a couple of those 11 - 13 year olds were balls to the walls looked very good very powerful boys...there were these two young brothers...well half breeds anyway half Black half Filipino and they were destroying the white boys they were in with I mean crushing these boys and making it look easy....anyway so the last three matches of the day come up and my son is in heavyweight and the little kid he was matched with had to leave so my son (because of his weight 127 ) draws this 13 year old boy that's right at 6 feet tall and has been wrestling for the last 3 or 4 years....

almost instantly my son is on the mat on his back in a half nelson and I'm thinking it's over...with this mismatch but my boy starts fighting to keep his shoulder up...and he fights and fights and actually makes it through the first round...I'm like ****! he fought hard and keep this big cat from pinning him...second round and same scenario...and he keep fighting but the other kid was too well conditioned and technically sound for my boy to fight him off but my son showed real good gameness in this loss I was proud as I could be man....my boy was a little down but I told him he did well by not quitting and especially being that he's about 4'8 and the other guy was about 6' ....so I think we're going to start working on endurance and I'm gonna get him into some plyometrics for explosiveness and maybe some weights to get just a little more strength going....but man I just wanted to share that with yall ....Thank you for giving me a minute of time to share this moment in my son's and my life..

MississippiRed

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Man, that is cool. Make sure to include some pics of your boy's matches in the future. Yeah, he'll get his day in the sun. The fact that he didn't give up is the important thing. Everyone gets beat once in a while, it's how you handle the occasioanl defeat that sets you apart from the rest. Good luck man. I'm excited for the little man.

3. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    This is so cool. Tell him we all have his back. Tell him to use the heart over braun method. If its in his heart to fight.. he will win every time. Tell him its all about leverage. Stance feet apart and balance. For the Bigger ones use the go under, take down.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    He made you proud and i am as well for his heart ....That's great
    he showed he can and will be a champion at it congratulation to
    the young man for his all around effort .
    Thankz for sharing this moment ..............................................

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    That is wonderful brother Red....now you just gotta get that boy into Boxing!

6. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I really appreciate the good words from yall and I'll be sure to let my son check out the thread....

Brother Pan you're 110% right man.....it's funny I was just talking to him about that last night....so maybe once his season is over he'll get in the after school boxing program....if not I have another son that wants to box he's just a little too young right now but we're working on it....

Thank yall Brothers again man I enjoy talking to yall on here and like to think that we have that family atmosphere where we can share things like this with one another.......

Hodee I'll be sure and pass that on....I was working a bit with him last night but what I can do in BJJ he can't do in wrestling but I'm not worried not quitting is the biggest thing to me man...Yall be safe..I appreciate yall

Red

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    hey likewise Red .......good luck to him on his next match !