Pert Em Heru / Kemetian Texts : My first look:

Discussion in 'Pert Em Heru / Kemetian Texts Study Group' started by Music Producer, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    My first look:

When I start reading books of the caliber of “Book of the Dead” I like to read about it’s origin and how it was created. Basically background information gives a better understanding as to the nature of what you are reading. My basic first impression comes from R.O. Faulkner’s introduction from his “Book of the Dead”. It will be my own personal summation and what I saw in reading his intro.

The “Book of the Dead” can be more understood today as being prayer cards that are mostly published by Servants of Jesus; I get these small cards in the mail all the time. The cards are small excerpts from the Bible, mainly the New Testament that concentrate on prayer or wisdom verses. In today’s times if we made a “Book of the Dead” all that would be required is to collect these prayer cards and randomly place them in a book. This is the same manner in which the Egyptian Book of the Dead was created.

It is a cut and paste from multiple Egyptian sources mainly Coffin Text and Pyramid Text along with excerpts from Egyptian stories of the gods. Thus the Egyptian Book of the Dead is not a complete book or theology that can be summed up into a coalescent knowledge base. The only way to read the Egyptian Book of the Dead is as it was created, one spell at a time.

The text that makes up the Egyptian Book of the Dead starts to appear after about the Fifth Dynasty and is first found in the Tomb of King Wenis, last ruler of the Fifth Dynasty. Before Wenis the people of Kemet had no doubt about going to the Field Of Reeds (Egyptian Heaven) in the after life but as the population grew so did that old evil act known as crime, murder and robbery.

Now the old concept of all people go to Heaven was being challenged and the people had no clear way to distinguish themselves from those that commit evil acts. Spells and Utterances and Coffin text was starting to become the solution for people to believe in a guaranteed acceptance into Heaven. Basically it became text in which the deceased could use in the after life to describe their good deeds and life on earth to the gods for admittance into Heaven.

A bit of information that I found disturbing but expected can be found on page 12, second paragraph of Faulkner’s book. He states that a new development in Kemet theology can be found in the Coffin Text that the Sun God is no longer Supreme. As we all know this would have been the God Atum, which Akhenaten later tried to redevelop as Aten.

Osiris became the king / god under whom the blessed dead hope to spend eternity. In looking at this we can see a repetition in relating to our time today as Jesus / Osiris replacing the Supreme Being.

Now that I have a grasp on the origin, purpose and perception of the Egyptian Book of the Dead I will start sharing my personal thoughts about the spells and utterances, if any.

2. Music Producer

Ratings:
    +94
    The Judgment of the Dead:

Spell 30B page 27.

The Judgment of the Dead:
    In this spell I began to see the same theology of the Dogon in referring to the perception that humans have two souls and upon death these souls become reversed in stature. Today this is called the conscious and sub-conscious. As we see the deceased as the conscious pleading with their own heart (sub-conscious / Nummo soul) we see the concept of the sub-conscious (Nummo soul) being used to place and determine the judgment as if the sub-conscious is considered more pure and unable to lie in way of the gods.

When I stand back and look at this from a social point of view it begins to look like reasoning for moral behavior within the community that takes it beyond the written law of the magistrate. It gives a greater stature for following the written law in that it promotes a judgment in the after life. It suggest that even though you might escape some laws in the living world, you will not escape the laws and judgment of the Ennead.

3. Music Producer

Ratings:
    +94
    Final Opinion on this book:

In reading the rest of the Spells I began to get an overall view of the Egyptian perspective of the after life. They believed that they actually became the god, or they became a solder in the army of god in the fight against evil, or they lived an after life as a king or queen living in sanctimony bliss doing no work and could come and go between the realm of the living and the realm of the dead as they pleased.

This is about all I gleamed from the Egyptian Book of the Dead because there was no focus on one god or deity and anything about the gods or deities appeared flat because they are only references to larger stories and information. Without pre-knowledge of these stories or larger stories of information, the bits and peaces of the Egyptian book of the Dead have no correlation for the reader.

4. Music Producer

Ratings:
    +94
    Time Period

Time Period:
    The reason I bring this up is because if you would notice in this thread http://destee.com/forums/showpost.ph...18&postcount=1
    The papery of Ani dates to a period soon after the Hyksos expulsion and during the governmental take over by the Amun Priesthood that placed Queen Hatshepsut on the throne as Pharaoh. It dates to the period of Egyptian History as to when religion became commoditiesed and hustled in the streets of Egypt which explains the nature of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, which also explains why there are some misrepresentations within the spells themselves as pertaining to the gods, which also explains why several of the books were made as to Fill in the Blank. They were basically massed produced to sell to the public. The rich could get theirs customized but the poor had to settle for the pre-produced books available in the local store or temple for a small fee of course.

This is why it becomes extremely important to understand the time period of Egyptian Doctrines before trying to jump into the Spirituality of it. Just as religion is being pedaled today, so did Egypt resort to the same.

Can you imagine the frenzy that must have been created when the Amun Priesthood published that one had to have a Book of the Dead in order to be accepted into the Field of Reeds (Heaven)? Can you imagine the wealth that was made off the people in taking an advantage of their belief system?

Peace & Blessing to you.

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Quote:
    "He states that a new development in Kemet theology can be found in the Coffin Text that the Sun God is no longer Supreme."

This is why I have stated that what Akhenaten did was attempt to RESTORE what was the ancient form of worship, nothing "revolutionary" in that, but his opposition came basically from a group based in Thebes that had "reformed" the ancient Theology, and their success in doing so is why "Kemetic Theology" today, under the guise of "Afrocentrism" is so far from the ORIGINAL THEOLOGY that what is passed off as "Metu Neter" is actually a "system" based on a multitude of sources (as is the Bible) but perhaps the most credible source are the PYRAMID TEXTS PRE-DATING THE FIFTH DYNASTY.

The problem I am having is when the "reformed" System (based upon the Theban Recension) is passed off as the "original" system rather than the System PRIOR to even the Heliopolitan Recension!

It has been suggested that I "am done" and need to check my sources. What I "am done with" is arguing with an dogmatic set of ideas being propagated as authentic when if fact these propagators themselves ARE DONE FOOLING ME into believing they are "credible".

For example, the B.O.D. are a collection or compilation of "funerary texts". However, from what time period according to most "historians". were the "new chapters" included? What about "ceremonial" texts that were used in the Temples or in rites of initiation PRECEEDING the VIth Dynasty?

Let me ask a question, and check the response:

FACT: The name AMEN does not appear in the Heliopolitan Recension Texts..

Can anyone refute this with EVIDENCE and cite the exact source as PROOF?

6. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Amen as a deity is not mentioned, but it is as a state of exsistence: AMENTET.

PEACE

7. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Quote:

"Without pre-knowledge of these stories or larger stories of information, the bits and peaces of the Egyptian book of the Dead have no correlation for the reader."

And how is this "pre-knowledge" attainable when,

"that which was edited by the priests of the college of Anu and which was based upon a series of texts now lost."

Key words: SERIES OF TEXTS.

This means there was no one, no SINGLE TEXT!

FACT: Certainly, there is no mention of a SYSTEM or TEXT predating the Vth Dynasty referred as the "Metu Neter".

This is not to say that a SYSTEM did not exist, and let me be clear on this.

However....FACT: "it was based upon a series of texts now lost".

What I "am done with" (and have placed on "ignore") are those who seek to deny the FACT but can provide nothing more than condescending, personal "diatribes" in refutation without providing WRITTEN, PRIMARY SOURCE MATERIAL as "proof", or stating that "what is in the past is nothing more than illusion".

Peace...

8. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I repeat the question,

"Can anyone refute this with EVIDENCE and cite the exact source as PROOF?

And to be clear, I am speaking of "exact source" PREDATING THE VTH DYNASTY!

9. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Do you recognize the correlation here to what has been written in books such as Osman's "Moses and Akhenaten"?

Not to present any of this as FACT, there are some who equate Akhenaten with "Moses" and there are those who present him as "Aaron".

"Aaron" representing one priesthood. "Moses" representing another.

This is similar to the "Sons of Horus" vs the "Sons of Set(h)"

Aaronic priesthood or "Levite"

"Theban" or "Memphite"

This is why the Biblical O.T. and different Gospels in the N.T. have differing "geneaologies", because they represent DIFFERENT accounts from RIVAL SOURCES and , RIVAL PRIESTHOODS, and...

What survives as "Kemetic" was compiled AFTER the USURPATION of the Royal Bloodline vis a vis Ai, Horemheb, etc.

What survives as "Hebrew" was compiled DURING the USURPATION of the Royal Bloodline vis a vis Ai, Horemheb, etc.

Peace...

10. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Quote:

"This is why it becomes extremely important to understand the time period of Egyptian Doctrines before trying to jump into the Spirituality of it."

:bullseye: