Black Authors : My Book "Middle of Nowhere"

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by kente417mojo, Apr 14, 2005.

1. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Hey, what's up family. I have finally finished my book and thought I might make it available to those interested in reading some of my poetry. I'm excited now that it's finished and I appreciate everyone for their great comments when I displayed a few of my poems in the poetry forums. Well, here's the link. Hope you enjoy:peace:

http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=29354

2. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm a big fan of your writing, I'll be getting my copy this weekend. CONGRATS!! :number1:

3. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks Carrie. I appreciate it very much. Hope you enjoy it too. :)

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    wow ! most happy and congratulation brutha on a job well done
    poet
    i'll surely support you and get a copy ....

5. 1poetsought

1poetsought Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Poet
    Ratings:
    +606
    We love and celebrate your effort at every opportunity!

6. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    That is a great poem.. EGO Tripping!

Congratulations.. :spinstar: Kente. :spinstar:

Well Done..Nice One.. and all those wonderful things. I'm buying the book.. but you have to meet me and sign my COPY! What do you think published poet Artist! Will Ya? :jump:

7. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks $$RICH$$, 1poetsought and Hodee. It's pretty exciting since it is my first book, but not my last. Hopefully you guys will enjoy the book.

Hodee, yeah man, I'll meet you and sign the book man. No problem.

8. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Thank You Kente. I am having trouble with the link. It has to be my system.
    Do you have any copies I can buy from you directly? Full cost .. I know even the one's you have to buy will be added to your bottom line and the publisher took his already.

Are you thinking of Barnes and Noble book signings down the road.. so many things. I know can be added and done at this time to promote your book. What about the mass mailings to the large magazine publishers announcing your book. These things are expensive and can cost a few thousand dollars when all added up. Well worth the consideration.

You do get to write all this off.

http://www.go-publish-yourself.com/articles/writing-related/ThibodeauxP.php

Published? Here are some additional items that can be written off as expenses.

1. Promotional expenses (brochures, flyers, press kits, press releases, etc. etc.)

2. Books donated to libraries or given away for promotional purposes (sent to Oprah, swapped with another author, donated for fund raisers, etc) may be deducted at retail value.

3. Books bought for research.

4. Dry-cleaning those nice clothes you wear for speaking engagements, book signings or other author appearances.

5. Postage and/or shipping fees for books sent to wholesalers, retailers, readers, reviewers, etc.

6. Agent fees and commissions. Compare your royalty statement against your 1099 (Miscellaneous Income Statement). If the amount does not show royalties less agent fees and commissions those are tax deductible!

Self-Published or E-published and have to buy copies of your book to resale? Set up costs, cover art, and the charge for producing (or buying) the books are tax deductible! Occupational or Resale License fees are also deductible.

Remember, if it falls under "Necessary Business Expense" it is deductible!

Worried about being audited? Don't. Be careful and be honest. Claiming you bought a new boat to learn how to water-ski so that you can write about water-skiing will not cut it, but nearly everything else will fly; hence the value of good record keeping.

It's never too early or too late to get organized for tax season. Remember, tax laws change yearly. For more information visit the IRS website @ www.irs.gov or call them toll free at: 800-829-3676 and request publications such as # 334 (Tax Guide for Small Businesses and Individuals who use Schedule C or C-EZ), #535 (Business Expense –this guide tells you what you can and CANNOT deduct), and #552 (Record keeping for Individuals).

Pamela S. Thibodeaux is a member of Bayou Writers Group and ACRW (American Christian Romance Writers). Her writing has been tagged as "Inspirational with an Edge!" Visit Ms. Thibodeaux's website @ http://www.pamelathibodeaux.com or email her at: [email protected]

I'm really excited for you man! We will need your experience with our Anthology book. Mostly in the area of graphics. Can you do CMYK drawings or illustrations and how do we do those. It is a format needed by me especially for my own book. Mine own is in color! It will be finished by years end.

9. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Wow, what an accomplishment. Congratulations.

I'll check it out when I get a moment to read. :)

10. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    Congratulations brotha Kente :great:

I do love da title :) and it looks like a great cover

I am sure it will get better as I turn da pages :read: :)