Africa : Must Read: On the Complicated Relationship Between Africans and African-Americans

Discussion in 'All Things Africa' started by Liberty, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,294
    Must Read: On the Complicated Relationship Between Africans and African-Americans

upload_2016-12-27_20-20-16.png

Ever since I wrote about
    Amy ‘Tiger Mom’ Chua’s new book The Triple Package, I’ve been feeling some type of way about the comments. While I expected readers to either agree or disagree with Chua’s premise that some cultures are just better and more successful than others, I didn’t anticipate the conversation would descend into a painful debate about Africans vs. African-Americans.

I am unabashedly pro-Black, and my pro-Blackness extends to the entire Diaspora. So when I see my people—from both sides of the Atlantic—hurling stereotypes, slurs, and jabs at each other like we ain’t even skinfolk, it makes me sad. And depressed. And downright disheartened.

Read more

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2014...ated-relationship-africans-african-americans/

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +14,675
  3. Continuous Broadcast

Continuous Broadcast Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +12
    After years in communication with my brother Africans I've come to believe that this so called hate of each other is a bold face unconscionable lie perpetrated by people who exist just to foster their hateful mindset. Does anybody have any names of the people with credible influence over our peoples mindset committing this conspiracy of lies about Black Africans & Black Americans hating each other to the extent that books have to be written about it? Any of their young ones accepted into America's institutions of higher learning in my area are very welcome into my home & have been invited to stay as if they were my own sons & daughters & I never have nor ever will accept one dime for my good will from their parents or sponsors many of which are wealthy beyond all measure because in my eyes they are family. Blacks the world.

4. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +643
    [QUOTE="Liberty, post: 975593, member: 56013" Must Read: On the Complicated Relationship Between Africans and African-Americans

View attachment 8009

Ever since I wrote about
    Amy ‘Tiger Mom’ Chua’s new book The Triple Package, I’ve been feeling some type of way about the comments. While I expected readers to either agree or disagree with Chua’s premise that some cultures are just better and more successful than others, I didn’t anticipate the conversation would descend into a painful debate about Africans vs. African-Americans.

I am unabashedly pro-Black, and my pro-Blackness extends to the entire Diaspora. So when I see my people—from both sides of the Atlantic—hurling stereotypes, slurs, and jabs at each other like we ain’t even skinfolk, it makes me sad. And depressed. And downright disheartened.

Read more

http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2014...ated-relationship-africans-african-americans/ /QUOTE]

But don’t people fight, bitterly disagree as standard, with sibling disputes often being even more bitter than with strangers as spectacularly highlighted by the 105 million mostly white fatalities of the industrialised carnage that was White on White World Wars I & II and various other 20th century conflicts, thus how could/why should the constantly harassed and warred on for over 5000 years now African collective be immune to that particular malaise?

Additionally isn’t there one very important factor that you/we have not taken into account?

Aren’t Africans in Africa and the Diaspora still in severe trauma after our catastrophic defeat over the last 500 years. Africans in the Diaspora (whether Jamaican, Brazilian, USA’s citizens etc) regardless of what their current nationalities are at least know (even though many of us repress it) that we are not really at home, because our original home is Africa.

Africans in Africa have had to cope with the totally emasculating trauma of being dominated by our Enemies in their own land as explained by Cheinweizu in his book "The West and the rest of us", and Walter Rodney in "How Europe Underdeveloped Africa". I compared it someone walking into your ten bedroom house, and telling you to live in the smallest room; an African friend of mine corrected me, he [was born in Ghana} said “They didn’t make us live in the smallest room; they said the toilet is where we belonged and made us stay there.”

Military combatants are always debriefed after combat operations or wars, aren’t they, as without debriefing wouldn’t it be virtually impossible for the combatants to regain their psychic balance after a prolonged traumatic experience. Aren’t they also supposed to subsequently receive whatever psychotherapy is required to make them whole?

Contrast that fact with the non-existent psychotherapy we (in Africa and the Diaspora which includes the UK and USA) have received (in conjunction with the fact that they have never acknowledged the wrong, or said sorry) after surviving the sadistic maliciously EVIL brutality of the ongoing African HOLAUCAST perpetrated by White Supremacist Racist whites against [our ancestors and their siblings who were tortured, mutilated and murdered for either refusing to BOW/be BROKEN, or as the means of traumatizing the rest of us into total subservience] over the last 500 years.

Now can you all relate to why our communities in the USA, UK, the rest of the Diaspora and even in Africa itself display such a wide array of socio-economic dysfunction which are further exacerbated in Africa by our numerous ethnic groups [Nigeria is comprised of over 250 different ethnic groups, the UK only has four]?

Though there is nothing to be gained by filling our knowledge base with the so very traumatising defeat of the last 500 years, however aren’t we literally in denial, while grabbing every quick fix, with SEX obviously being one of the most gratifying and addictive; while what is even marginally rational about our so consistently inept or totally treacherous leadership totally ignoring still do-able viable templates like GAP community of Tulsa circa 1920, and Thomas Sakarna’s achievements in Burkina Faso in just four years?

Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed
    graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?
    Flattop.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • True True x 1
    • List
  5. Continuous Broadcast

United States
    Ratings:
    +12
    Brother Orisons please spread the word for the word is truth & the word of truth is a mighty weapon to wield.

6. IFE

IFE going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,204
    Slavery still haunts Africa, where millions remain captive
    October 17, 2013|By Robyn Dixon | This post has been updated. See the note below for details.

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa -- African countries dominate a new global index on slavery, with 38 of the 50 nations where the scourge is at its worst found on the continent. The Global Slavery Index, released Thursday, estimated that nearly 30 million people remain enslaved globally, millions of whom are in Africa.

Mauritania has the poorest record, with some 150,000 people in a population of 3.8 million held captive, many of whom inherited their status from their parents.

Other African countries with particularly high prevalence of slavery are located in West Africa: Benin, Ivory Coast, Gambia, Gabon and Senegal.

West Africa has a somber place in the history of transatlantic slavery as the departure gateway for slaves seized in raiding expeditions before they were shipped to the New World. Today children are trafficked around the region and forced into domestic service, farm labor or sexual exploitation.

1. Slavery still haunts Africa, where millions remain captive - latimes
      http://articles.latimes.com/2013/oct/17/world/la-fg-wn-slavery-africa-20131017 - 70k - Cached - Similar pages

Slavery still haunts Africa, where millions remain captive

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa -- African countries dominate a new global index on slavery, with 38 of the 50 nations where the scourge is at its worst found on the continent. The Global Slavery Index,...
      articles.latimes.com

Oct 17, 2013 ... West Africa has a somber place

7. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,204
    Africans aren't taught about the middle passage or about slavery.
    Which leaves them believing their ancestry does not include the slave trade.
    I was having lunch with a young lady from Ghana. She was on her cell speaking in French. After her call I made a comment about her language. She was proud of her French. Anyhow, somehow, the conversation turned briefly to slavery. My African friend began giggling and laughing. When I asked her what? She said "We, Africans, believe Black Americans don't like Africans because WE did not come to help YA'LL during slavery.
    :SuN037:Speechless. No response from me. I had not heard such nonsense.

If anyone has info on this please share.

8. Continuous Broadcast

United States
    Ratings:
    +12
    Her pride in speaking a language not native to the land of her birth shows that she's comfortable with forced colonialism. Her second retort although ignorant & insulting can be looked at realistically as I wasn't alive back then so what you want me to do? Or well we sold you to the White man because you were our captives from the war between us or well they just dropped anchor & took as many of you at gunpoint. Through the years I've pretty much heard it all. There was a time I believed that hype & never not once did I ever question the validity of such talk until I met a former Cuban soldier sent to Angola from 1969 to 1974 to do the Soviet Unions dirty work as an excuse to free our African brothers & sisters. The stories he told me shook my faith in GOD. I believed him but I also know about heart rending stories to sooth ones guilt over their own shameful part in the lucrative indulgence in the spoils of war so I needed to know from the horses mouth, I studied & took my FCC amateur radio exam, passed it, bought some radios & other support equipment but couldn't quite make a connection so I went to a local university looking for African exchange students, most dismissed me, some insulted & berated me, a few even thought I was some undercover cop or INS but finally while I was heading to the campus parking lot to leave a student approached me & asked about the antenna on my truck, I told her & she asked to see my radio, right away I thought this is a setup & before I opened the door to let her in I quickly asked who in her house talks on the radio, she quickly replied her cousin, I said what's the first thing he says when he picks up the mic to talk, she quickly said he always says CQ a couple of times & he says his call things, I knew she was genuine, we made a date to meet her cousin & the rest is history. That Cuban soldier was half right for they most of all committed unspeakable crimes themselves & I would have never known "THAT" truth if it wasn't for that student & her cousin, she since graduated & they went back home to Senegal but we engaged in much about our sameness & our differences & not only how we perceive our different worlds but how the collective perceives us as a race unto ourselves vs. assimilation into the prevailing social structure.

I hope this helped.

9. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,204
    As far as current Africans believing their ancestors were not part of the slave trade, is education assimilation.

10. Continuous Broadcast

United States
    Ratings:
    +12
    Exactly & look at who runs the institutes of higher learning they're attending.