Black Spirituality Religion : Muslim Greetings

Nisa

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 25, 2004
MICHIGAN
I have a question. Muslim brothers and sisters when giving the greetings are supposed to say As Salaam Alaikum..and return them WaLaikum Salaam...Now...I hear them saying..Slaam Laikum and Laikum Salaam..What's up with that?
To me its a pure disrespect of the greetings. Say it properly brothers and sisters. Don't be in a rush.Respect the greetings and the return of the greeting.

As far as the issue of "how should one greet his brethren and friends" is concerned, the directive of the Shari`ah in this regard is restricted to the fact that a Muslim should greet his brethren by praying for them in the words: "Assalaam Alaikum". This is the greeting that was taught and promoted by the Prophet (pbuh) in his Sunnah. As far as shaking hands or hugging or brushing cheeks or kissing the cheeks or kissing the forehead are concerned, none of these is a part of the Islamic Shari`ah or the Sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh). All these styles of greeting friends and relatives are parts of the cultural and social norms and may vary from culture to culture. Islam has not prohibited them and it has neither promoted them by making them a part of the Shari`ah.

In my opinion, therefore, the important part in greeting our brethren is that it should be with the words: "Assalaam Alaikum". Besides this, any style of greeting that is accepted and liked in the culture may be adopted except that which may be against any of the explicit directives of the Qur'an and the Sunnah.

:spinstar:Soulja:spinstar:

Godssoulja said:
As far as the issue of "how should one greet his brethren and friends" is concerned, the directive of the Shari`ah in this regard is restricted to the fact that a Muslim should greet his brethren by praying for them in the words: "Assalaam Alaikum". This is the greeting that was taught and promoted by the Prophet (pbuh) in his Sunnah. As far as shaking hands or hugging or brushing cheeks or kissing the cheeks or kissing the forehead are concerned, none of these is a part of the Islamic Shari`ah or the Sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh). All these styles of greeting friends and relatives are parts of the cultural and social norms and may vary from culture to culture. Islam has not prohibited them and it has neither promoted them by making them a part of the Shari`ah.

In my opinion, therefore, the important part in greeting our brethren is that it should be with the words: "Assalaam Alaikum". Besides this, any style of greeting that is accepted and liked in the culture may be adopted except that which may be against any of the explicit directives of the Qur'an and the Sunnah.

:spinstar:Soulja:spinstar:

That is right..what im referring to now, is how Muslims speed through it now, like a brush off or something. The Honorable Louis Farrakhan has spoke on it, and I wonder why it continues to go on. When I give the greetings or return them, I will not just spit it out my mouth..like how someone may give a quick hello or bye. It's not right at all.

Nisa

Most AfroAmericans know Islam and Islamic terminology from the Nation of Islam.

The Nation of Islam usually greets people with "As Salaam Alaikum" because that's how they were taught through the ranks.

But most Muslims around the world have always said simply "Salaam Alaikum".

Though the difference isn't much...

As Salaam Alaikum = The peace be with you.

Salaam Alaikum = Peace be with you

Ralfa'il said:
Nisa

Most AfroAmericans know Islam and Islamic terminology from the Nation of Islam.

The Nation of Islam usually greets people with "As Salaam Alaikum" because that's how they were taught through the ranks.

But most Muslims around the world have always said simply "Salaam Alaikum".

Though the difference isn't much...

As Salaam Alaikum = The peace be with you.

Salaam Alaikum = Peace be with you

I know that..im talking about how they race through the greetings..and they sound like they are saying slab of bacon.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back