Black Entertainment : MUSICOLOGY

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Keita Kenyatta, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    What is Musicology?

With a self definition, musicology can best be described as the love and study of music. As there are various types of music within this study, I classify myself as a "Scientist of Sound" when it comes to vocals. There are some vocalist who are known as just "studio singers" and there are those who are simply unique in a studio or a hallway anywhere.

Mary J. Blige was once classified as a studio singer up until Chaka Khan and Aretha Franklin took her up under their wings. Now Mary can stand alone anywhere with the best of them. Luther Vandross has been called the last of the natural male vocalist and the definition given may be a correct one.As a child who was deeply under the influence of the sound era from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's where in my book vocalist were at their best, I tend to examine the groups who had great harmony with dynamic lead singers.

Right off the bat many of us tend to think of groups like the Temptations, the Delfonics, the Stylistics and the Spinners just to name a few...and respectfully they were great groups with their own style. As a scientist of sound mathematically laying it down, I say that there were better groups out there than them...groups with better harmony and with better lead singers who simply didn't have the good fortune of being on major labels such as Motown or Atlantic.Gladys Knight once described the late great Linda Jones from Newark, N.J as one of the most dynamic singers she had ever heard.

Anyone with musical knowledge already knows that during the 60's there were no female vocalist including Patti Label that possessed the raw energy and emotion that Linda Jones displayed in her songs. Because this will be an on-going project, I will be selling songs by both known and unknown singers and groups. I have a very rare collection... and one that "Time Life" won't be selling.

Many records came out on 45's back in the day and were not included on the albums once they were released.A lot of music simply disappeared as the smaller studios folded and the masters were lost or destroyed. As a collector I have been in the unique position of having many of those classics and groups that can only be described as musically mind-blowing.

On www.keitascorner.net under the heading of "MUSICOLOGY" you can check out each volume as presently laid down....since more are to come. Each volume displays about 45 seconds of a song before going to the next one. At the present time I have 4 volumes listed. Enjoy yourselves!

2. Ionlyspeaktruth

Ionlyspeaktruth Banned

Ratings:
    +6

Thank you . I am putting some stuff down now. Linda Jones was one of my all timers as was Patti Drew, and Brenda Payton(Brenda and the Tabulations) As for Patti, I like her stuff with the Bluebells. (Over the Rainbow etc..) best.

3. Nasheed

Nasheed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Otr Truck Driver
    Ratings:
    +168
    Nice work Bro

As I said before, the 45 secs is torture. Can't wait until they go on sell.
    Peace

4. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    They are on sale...go check the site...lol