Black Sports : muscles, work vrs rest?

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by jamesfrmphilly, Jul 15, 2005.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    if you work and you feel sore the next day what do you do?
    should you rest that next day or should you rest until the soreness is gone?
    should you do any work when you are sore?

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace,

Yes, you should work.....this is the way to make the soreness go away faster. The pain does not mean you are hurt, it means that you've used muscles that have been sleep for a while. SO the sensation (pain) you are feeling means they are back up, working and getting stronger!!

3. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    After awhile you will get so use to the pain you won't mind it James I do 145 push-ups 4-5 times a week at I'm always sore. You know you really working when you got stretch marks around the muscle that you've been working, it means you've been working hard.

4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    you need to get yourself a girlfriend. :jump:

5. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    LOL, I know James believe me I know. But really it takes less than 5 minutes to do those push-ups so still plenty of time for a girlfriend,lol.

6. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    hi James

hi james :hi:

ur ? is 2 general 4 me 2 giv u a specific answer, but n general, b cautious.

a variety of factors com n2 play n determining what level of activity, f any, shld b engaged n when ones' muscles r 'sore'. what was the activity that led 2 the soreness? weightlifting, calesthenics, running a marathoon, a home building project that went on longer than xpected, or even sitting too long n the same position on the couch watching a movie marathoon, could all lead to 'muscle soreness' & the remedy 4 each could b slightly different.

'soreness' from strenuous muscular activity is usually the result of an accumulation of lactic acid, a waste by-product, which will dissapate over time, providing there r no medical conditions impeding it, w/o much effort by the patient. soreness which resulted from an ackward position or some strenuous single movement or lift is quite another matter, & unlikely n the xtreme 2 b caused by lactic acid accumulation. soreness which seems 2 center around a joint; elbow, ankle, knee, lower back, may mimic muscular soreness @ times as well, but can hv a very different etiology, & won't respond 2 the same treatments that usu alliviate muscle soreness. muscle fatigue can also generate a kind of muscle soreness which will take an inordinate period of time to completely heal.

under certain conditions, resumption of activities will help. let me giv u a specific example: suppose u were n the gym :weights: (or home) & felt particularly strong while working out ur legs & did several 'extra' sets of squats, using more weight than u usually use (squats w a barbell across ur back is a particularly demanding & strenuous exercise), & the next day u feel some muscle soreness, tightness, or slight ache n the front of ur thighs. although ur thighs might protest initially, som :cardio: for a sustained length of time - assuming that the squats is the ONLY reason 4 the soreness, AND that u r physically n shape to perform cardio (& hv been soing som on a regular basis before now) - would actually help to speed up the muscle recovery b/c of the increased blood flow, but it would still not b instantaneous.

the best general advice i can giv, albeit, some u may already b aware of, is, listen 2 ur body. ur body will tell u when it's "safe" to resume ur regular routine. f the soreness or pain seems 2 get worse, don't "man up" & push urself thru it, u cld do some serious ligament, tendon, or catilage damage u'll liv 2 regret. :crying: :hammer2: don't believe that 'no pain no gain' mantra - i think that wuz put out by the makers of alieve or somethin, :lol:

anyway, i hope that helps a little

btw, i like ur avitar/photo & the camera.

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    thanks, i'm tring to make it as a photographer.

the soreness came from strenuous activity.
    i tried to step up from one a day practice on my trumpet to two a day and i got pretty sore in my hand and wrist.
    i rested a couple days and took some motrin.
    now i feel better.

i have been fighting soreness and pain in my hand and arm for a year now.
    at 62, my body will not do the things it once did.

i wish there was a way i could steal a young man's body.