Black People Politics : Murder goes unsolved in the innercity

GrayMatter

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 17, 2016
The site dnainfo dot com released a story on Chicago murder stats. Only 26% of cases get solved (yoy 2015). Officials state that the 'no snitching' policy discourages witnesses to come forward to help solve the crime.

If a killer has a 1 in 4 chance of getting away with murder, then there is not much deterring that murder.

The Washington Post describes the point of view of witnesses as such:

"It’s not that the people who may know something don’t think that the lives of these victims are important. It’s just that they place more value on their own lives, which they consider too important to get labeled “snitch.” Too important to risk becoming a victim of retaliation. Too important to even let on that they know something.

That’s what intimidation and fear of revenge can do to a community, especially one that has seen witness killings in the past."

Do you think urban violence is a big issue? What deserves more resources than this issue? Lastly, do you support the no snitching culture, if not, how could it be reversed?

The site dnainfo dot com released a story on Chicago murder stats. Only 26% of cases get solved (yoy 2015). Officials state that the 'no snitching' policy discourages witnesses to come forward to help solve the crime.

If a killer has a 1 in 4 chance of getting away with murder, then there is not much deterring that murder.

The Washington Post describes the point of view of witnesses as such:

"It’s not that the people who may know something don’t think that the lives of these victims are important. It’s just that they place more value on their own lives, which they consider too important to get labeled “snitch.” Too important to risk becoming a victim of retaliation. Too important to even let on that they know something.

That’s what intimidation and fear of revenge can do to a community, especially one that has seen witness killings in the past."

Do you think urban violence is a big issue? What deserves more resources than this issue? Lastly, do you support the no snitching culture, if not, how could it be reversed?

Good stuff, thanks for sharing GrayMatter ...

I'm tracking Chicago real tough, here:

Chicago Rings in New Year With First Homicide of 2016 - Count Continues
Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Jan 2, 2016
https://destee.com/threads/chicago-...first-homicide-of-2016-count-continues.85191/

Good stuff, thanks for sharing GrayMatter ...

I'm tracking Chicago real tough, here:

Chicago Rings in New Year With First Homicide of 2016 - Count Continues
Saw that thread. Look forward to discussing further. It is a difficult issue, but I take heed in that there are actually very few murderers in the entire country. There are 40M Black citizens yet only several thousand murderers. What is going on with those few bad seeds terrorizing everybody else? I think solving the gang/drug issue would have a night/day impact.

Saw that thread. Look forward to discussing further. It is a difficult issue, but I take heed in that there are actually very few murderers in the entire country. There are 40M Black citizens yet only several thousand murderers. What is going on with those few bad seeds terrorizing everybody else? I think solving the gang/drug issue would have a night/day impact.

Good points, it is very complex, but not all the hoop-la its made out to be, looking forward to it, GrayMatter.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back