Pan Africanism : Mugabe defends urban demolitions

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by panafrica, Sep 18, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4258508.stm

2. twashing

twashing Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    There's a good article at the Zimbabwe Chronicle about the subject. The author is defending "Operation Restore Order" of course, and I lean towards believing him rather than Tony Blair and friends. But I would like to find some reliable sources where we could get some proper ananlysis. I'm begining to think that places like Destee are the only places I'm going to get that. Thanks for the info.

"Tibaijuka report typical neocolonial conspirancy"
    http://www.zimbabwechronicle.com/2005/August/06/opinion/opi5.htm

-- tim

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    the q is where are the people who have been displaced?

4. twashing

Ratings:
    +7
  5. fanyamambo

fanyamambo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    My questions on this matter

Good question. This is a tricky situation happening in varying degrees in many places around the continent. In my city people with informal businesses (roadside kiosks etc) are being pushed out and their structures demolished. Where do they go? The majority are trying to earn an honest living. I do recognize that a lot of informal settlements are hiding places for a few people with less than good intentiions - however is this how to solve the problem? Sure Harare might look neater now but does this solve the problem?

The government of my country has been unearthing a "slum upgrading" project for a long time. Sounds like President Mugabe is singing the same tune. Can governments sustain this in light of their own and their people's economic realities? And if they can surely shouldn't there be a more systematic way of going about this? Don't the poor have rights?

There was a huge "highrise - low cost" estate built some time ago which informal settlement dwellers were supposed to move into. It is currently occupied by mostly civil servants paying rents which, though relatively low, are nowhere near anything the poor of this country can come close to paying.

My city has the biggest slum/informal settlement in Africa - apparently about 1/3, I repeat one third (!) of the city's population lives in this settlement. I shudder to think what would happen if a "Mugabe" was pulled here! I don't know how this problem can be solved, but it must surely be done in a way that respects the human rights and preserves the dignity of the poor.

6. twashing

Ratings:
    +7
    You said "... if a Mugabe is pulled here." Which country are you posting from? I'd love to get some first hand accounts or some real analysis of what "Operation Restore Order" is all about. This is politically sensitive because South Africa is lookikng very closely at the programme, with an eye to speed up its own land reform programme. Panafrica wrote about it here (http://www.destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37280). I found what seems to be another online account of conditions in Zimbabwe (http://e4god.com/NightWatchNews/?p=662)

-- tim

7. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    these governments must benefit greatly from these demolitions.