Egypt : Muata Ashby - Coming Forth By Day

(kemetkind) - Does anyone have any thoughts on Ashby's work on the Prt M Hru?

that is the translation that i own.
muata ashby's translation is the best among those that i've seen; as it is geared towards those who wish to study, practice and internalize the teachings; and not simply reading what was written.
ashby focuses on the need to personalize the teachings and also reflect on them.
ashby also preserves the original names for the neteru, while many translations try to replace those names with the greek bastardizations.

it's also interesting to look at ashby's gloss; as you can contrast your interpretations and ideas with how he views some things.

i picked up a couple more translations of the pert em heru.

my biggest issue with ashby is that while his copy is easily readable and understandable, he doesn't always provide the original hieroglyphics; so it is impossible to tell what words were actually used. i also would like to see the context.

especially if you wish to speak a particular "spell" in the original kemetic tongue.

i picked up:
the egyptian book of life - ramses seleem
a) he introduces his own philosophy and interpretation into the religion
b) he darkens in the glyphs, so many look "inverted" as they are shaded in as opposed to being outlines
c) he tries to preserve original names as best as possibly, and includes the glyphs for every text he translates

ancient egyptian book of the dead - raymond faulkner
a) this book is beautiful and includes numerous full color illustrations of the original papyrus.
b) the original kemetic names are not preserved, neither for names nor places.
c) the text can only be read out of the illustrations, which is possible; and the illustrations are beautiful.

the egyptian book of the dead - wallis budge
a) budge is always criticized for having the worst translations; however, for my purposes budge's copy serves me well. budge includes the hieroglyphs as they would be written, a phonetic transliteration and the english translation. so if you wish the say a "prayer" or "spell" in the original kemetic tongue, budge has given you a head start in terms of knowing the original pronunciation, and finding a glyph to double check his pronunciation.
b) budge's english includes the fake greek names, but the phonetic reveals the original kemetic name

i maintain that ashby's copy is very readable and easy to understand. however, i don't think he provides a complete translation of the entire papyrus of ani, only selected chapters/plates.
faulkner's translation is also very easy to read, and this looks to be a complete translation.
budge provides the phonetic transliteration which i find very useful.
seleem introduces his own interesting philosophy which i need to study closer.

i picked up a couple more translations of the pert em heru.

my biggest issue with ashby is that while his copy is easily readable and understandable, he doesn't always provide the original hieroglyphics; so it is impossible to tell what words were actually used. i also would like to see the context.

especially if you wish to speak a particular "spell" in the original kemetic tongue.

i picked up:
the egyptian book of life - ramses seleem
a) he introduces his own philosophy and interpretation into the religion
b) he darkens in the glyphs, so many look "inverted" as they are shaded in as opposed to being outlines
c) he tries to preserve original names as best as possibly, and includes the glyphs for every text he translates

ancient egyptian book of the dead - raymond faulkner
a) this book is beautiful and includes numerous full color illustrations of the original papyrus.
b) the original kemetic names are not preserved, neither for names nor places.
c) the text can only be read out of the illustrations, which is possible; and the illustrations are beautiful.

the egyptian book of the dead - wallis budge
a) budge is always criticized for having the worst translations; however, for my purposes budge's copy serves me well. budge includes the hieroglyphs as they would be written, a phonetic transliteration and the english translation. so if you wish the say a "prayer" or "spell" in the original kemetic tongue, budge has given you a head start in terms of knowing the original pronunciation, and finding a glyph to double check his pronunciation.
b) budge's english includes the fake greek names, but the phonetic reveals the original kemetic name

i maintain that ashby's copy is very readable and easy to understand. however, i don't think he provides a complete translation of the entire papyrus of ani, only selected chapters/plates.
faulkner's translation is also very easy to read, and this looks to be a complete translation.
budge provides the phonetic transliteration which i find very useful.
seleem introduces his own interesting philosophy which i need to study closer.

Udja. I have been a student and initiate of the Shetaut Neter Temple of Aset under the leadership of Sebai Maa, Dr. Muata Ashby, for about for 5 years now. Aset is the Lady of Wisdom and Healing Words of Power. This Temple is indeed focused upon study and application of the teachings to one's daily life, with the goal being Nehast, Spiritual Enlightenment. If you ever need more information, say for example, hieroglyphics, or simple guidance or even more complex issues, he is very accessible, and you could have the information you are looking for if you would just call or email. At the Winter Solstice Retreats, he goes into great detail with love and care on various passages from the Pert M Heru. There is also a discussion board where you can have any of your questions answered personally by the Spiritual Preceptors, Sebai Maa and Seba Dja, Dr. Karen Ashby, or by one of the other members, priests or priestesses. You can also call into to the blogtalk show every Saturday evening, and your questions can also be answered at that time, every Saturday evening at 9 pm est. I am not sure of the intention for the other versions, but this version is the kind of book that you will keep close to you, and is the book that will be read from by loved ones when it is time for you to head to The Land of The West, Amenta.

I am one of the Shemsu that leads the devotional worship service every Sunday Rising at 8:30 am EST on blogtalk radio. The Shedi practices, the Spiritual Family that makes up the Temple, the Spiritual Preceptors, all have made my life a much better place. This in turn has made the world a better place! I am very grateful!

There is a trip to Kemet being planned for the Holy Season, Summer Solstice week. June 21-July 4. When I have enough posts, I will post relevant links here. In the meantime, I leave you with Ankh, Udja Seneb: LIfe Vitality and Health! HOTEP. Peace

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back