Mr Clean is killing my lungs?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by dustyelbow, Sep 5, 2006.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Oct 25, 2005
    Almost every home I go into has these around. I rather have the window open or be outside when people have these in their homes ALL THE TIME even in dead winter. I KNOW I AM A FOOL. Perhaps one REASON we are falling apart so soon. A home is where we are suppose to LIVE LONG TERM not promote PREMATURE DEATH and undue IGNORANCE.

Deodorizing compound tough on the lungs

Exposure to a chemical compound commonly found in air fresheners, toilet bowl cleaners, and moth balls may cause reduced lung function and have a long-term adverse effect on respiratory health, researchers report. The researchers investigated the relationship between lung function and blood levels of 11 volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which are released as gases by tobacco smoke, cleaning products, paints and thousands of other household products. They found that one of the compounds, called 1,4 DCB, was associated with reduced lung function. The compound has a commonly recognized smell because it's the primary ingredient in mothballs, said Leslie Elliott, one of the study's co-authors from the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. The study findings are in the August issue of the journal Environmental Health Perspectives.