Black People : Movie "Paranormal Activity" sparks panic attacks in Italy

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by skuderjaymes, Feb 11, 2010.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Parents and politicians in Italy are up in arms over US horror movie
    Paranormal Activity after several cinema-goers suffered from panic attacks.

It opened in Italy at the weekend with no restrictions - despite being rated
    15 in the UK and R-rated in the US.

An emergency services spokesman told news agency Ansa the most serious
    case was a 14-year-old girl "brought to the hospital in a state of paralysis".

The Italian parents' association wants an age limit of 18 to be brought in.

The spokesman said emergency services had received dozens of calls,
    especially in southern Naples "where several panic attacks lasting more than
    half an hour took place on Saturday".

more: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8508675.stm

2. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    this is why its best to be mindful what you allow into you kingdom... through your eyes....

3. Precise Allah

Precise Allah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Peacemaker
    Ratings:
    +764
    Peace,

This just bares witness that people want to believe............ ANYTHING!

4. Josef

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411

speaking of bearing witness, and believing:

I was having a meeting with a couple JW sisters,

and one tried to convince me that the ever so popular Pokemon characters.....

were devils, and demons, hence the horns, tails, and strange lingo:SuN042:

the other happily went along with what her co-believer was protesting about..so of course she stated that she too went through her entire house, removing all and what were connected to them..

people trip me out :ghost:

5. Emerald_Queen

Emerald_Queen Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +83
    I've never seen the movie; though I do want to. This is true about what you allow yourself to see...I mean some things can be disturbing and one could have a sensitive soul, which will allow their mind to start creating things from the movie and scare them even more!!!

I don't know I'm not a horror movie person per say, I dabble in scary movies but I do know my limit and I won't go past that. However, it's also the parents that felt it was okay to take their 14 year child to the movie...

6. Josef

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    "The fictional movie, shot like a homemade documentary, follows a young couple coping with supernatural phenomena in their home".

makes one wonder,...

with youtube and others having such high viewer ratings, when it comes to death, sex, destruction, how close are we as a people, to just saying "the hell with fiction, show us the real deal!"

distubing images are on our local news stations anyway,

suicide bombings, gang wars, soldier attacks, limbs blown off, etc..etc..

with of course them warning us to use our own discretion..

but why are we playing around with the age curve, and parental guidance thing...

Written By Kevin Szaflik

Violence on television can influence people to commit crimes. This is a subject now in debate between Hollywood insiders, the government and the television viewing public. There have been several highly publicized studies recently published to look at the long terms effects of violence on television. The US government has put its faith into a computer chip in new TV sets to solve this problem. It is not just programs that contain violence, but many of the promos and commercials utilize violence also.

Questions:

People need to ask themselves several questions. Do all the violence acts that children view on television cause them to commit crimes in their later lives?

Are the effects of watching TV violence brief or lasting?

Is TV as important a factor in fostering societal violence as economic poverty, bad schools and broken homes? Is it really possible or desirable to manage kids’ exposure to a cultural environment that can never be entirely beneficial or benign?

Television can be a powerful influence in developing value systems and behavior in children. Unfortunately, much of today’s television programming is violent. Several studies conducted by UCLA "have found that children may become ‘immune’ to the horror of violence; gradually accept violence as a way to solve problems; imitate the violence they observe on television; and identify with certain characters, victims and/or victimizers"

(http://www.ucla.edu/curree…ne/violence/iiid.htm).

7. Precise Allah

Precise Allah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Peacemaker
    Ratings:
    +764
    Peace,

I can tell you from personal experience that JW people are as whacked out as religious people come. According to them even the "Care Bears" are supposed to carry demons...... :drink:

Peace

8. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
  9. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,448
    Different cultures aren't going to view things in the same way...

For instance Japanese Horror (J-horror films) they're not as gruesome as the remakes Hollywood does of them...

Some countries have banned some of the movies made in America based on the fact that they were entirely inappropriate for their culture...

I love scary movies...And a huge fan of them...And I know it's not for everyone...But I personally don't feel bad for the person who goes into a scary movie and gets nightmares or has a panic attack...Call it insensitive....But it's a scary movie, what did you expect? Unicorns and Care Bears?

10. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    this actually did happen in Japan;
    Porygon" (でんのうせんしポリゴン, Dennō Senshi Porigon?, literally "Computer Soldier Porygon", although most commonly translated as "Electric Soldier Porygon") is the thirty-eighth episode of the Pokémon anime's first season. It was first broadcast in Japan on December 16, 1997, and has since not aired anywhere else. In the episode, Ash and his friends find at the local Pokémon Center that there is something wrong with the Poké Ball transmitting device. To find out what's wrong, they must go inside the machine.

The episode is infamous for using visual effects that caused seizures in a substantial number of Japanese viewers, an incident referred to as the "Pokémon Shock" (ポケモンショック, Pokémon Shokku?) by the Japanese press. Six hundred and eighty-five viewers were taken to hospitals, but only two people remained hospitalized for more than two weeks. Due to this, the episode has been banned worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennō_Senshi_Porygon

New York Times
    http://www.nytimes.com/1997/12/18/w...se-into-seizures.html?sec=&spon=&pagewanted=2