Black People : Most Destructive Movies For Bl. People

oldiesman said:
that's why we need our own studios,so that we can produce movies for and about black life from a B-L-A-C-K point of view,not from people who don't share our experiences and have no idea what black life is about for the most part,there's enough money in black hollywood to get this done and we certainly will support it.

I have said this before and I will say it again. The problem is not a lack of independent Black filmmakers, studios or production companies. The problem is a lack of an independent Black film DISTRIBUTION NETWORK and I say this as someone who is not only a long-time aspiring filmmaker but one who networks among independent recording artsist, songwriters, screenwriters and filmmakers. There is a large amount of "product" available. The problem is distribution...

For example, did anyone see the south african film "TSOTSI"....??

abstract219 but you are what you eat. [B said:
if you go to see these movies or rent them, then you are supporting the very same ills in our society that you complain about. just a point.[/B]

i don't think every film has to have this overbearing black "consciousness" message, i mean, we do have comedy, but i do see a bias. like denzel doesnt win a oscar till he becomes a bad cop

[/B]

Exactly. Why support something and then complain that it keeps on happening?

I loved Denzel in "Training Day" because he showed that he could play a villain with the best of them. He acted his butt off in that role!! I had gotten tired of seeing him in "good guy" roles, so he got to show more of his range in that movie. He was so convincing as that bad cop unitil even now when I see him in anything else, I still get chills. Now, that's good acting!! LOL I was glad he got the award for that because very few actors these days can have that effect on an audience. He really is in a class virtually by himself and that movie gave him a chance to show his prowess.

I also don't think everything that a Black artist or actor does has to have a consciousness message because that is very limiting and somewhat boring. I think we need to support Black creativity, sometimes even when the message is not a disguised positive lecture of some sort.

Bisabee said:
Exactly. Why support something and then complain that it keeps on happening?

I loved Denzel in "Training Day" because he showed that he could play a villain with the best of them. He acted his butt off in that role!! I had gotten tired of seeing him in "good guy" roles, so he got to show more of his range in that movie. He was so convincing as that bad cop unitil even now when I see him in anything else, I still get chills. Now, that's good acting!! LOL I was glad he got the award for that because very few actors these days can have that effect on an audience. He really is in a class virtually by himself and that movie gave him a chance to show his prowess.

I also don't think everything that a Black artist or actor does has to have a consciousness message because that is very limiting and somewhat boring. I think we need to support Black creativity, sometimes even when the message is not a disguised positive lecture of some sort.

...Do you think Denzel's role in 'HE GOT GAME' was a "good guy" role?

CD

Cedric Denson said:
...Do you think Denzel's role in 'HE GOT GAME' was a "good guy" role?

CD

I didn't see this movie. I don't like the Blacks-in-basketball type movies. That's a tired setting and it's even offensive to me that the writers of these type movie can't write about Blacks in other settings doing the million and one other things that Black people do. Black men are too often depicted in movies as being criminals, rap stars or they're playing basketball. I would think this would be highly insulting to Black men.

Bisabee said:
I didn't see this movie. I don't like the Blacks-in-basketball type movies. That's a tired setting and it's even offensive to me that the writers of these type movie can't write about Blacks in other settings doing the million and one other things that Black people do. Black men are too often depicted in movies as being criminals, rap stars or they're playing basketball. I would think this would be highly insulting to Black men.

sister Bisabee....again i hear you but being the avid gymrat that i am at the age of 48 the reality is a lot of brothers ARE into basketball...for me it's a good way to get my heart rate into zone before doing an hour of cardio...

Now when i think about all the sports themes "basketball" goes back to a young larry fishbourne and "Cornbread, Earl and Me" which was a beautiful Black movie...and until that film Blacks were not even featured in films dealing with basketball and it was made at a time when Baseball was the most popular sport among inner-city Black kids...but i agree....the themes have "played out"....

I also agree with denzel's role in not only Trining Day but Out of Time as well...i think the "good guy" roles for Denzel also became overplayed and the whole thing about Training Day is that it was written by a local screen writer who was familiar with the corruption scandal at the time involving the notorious lapd Rampart Division so I saw nothing wrong with a mild portrayal of what are some ruthless Black cops who are on the take...and do treat Brothers on the "street" with a gang mentality....

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back