Black People : MOST DANGEROUS CITIES IN AMERICA, 2005

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    CAMDEN, New Jersey (AP) -- For the second year in a row this destitute city of Camden, New Jersey, has been named the nation's most dangerous, according to a company's annual ranking based on crime statistics.

Last year, the distinction seemed to hurt city boosters' feelings more than it harmed revitalization efforts. This time, city leaders are offended by the ranking, calling it unfair.

"We're doing so many nice things now. It's unfortunate that somebody always wants to bad-mouth Camden," Mayor Gwendolyn Faison said.

The city took the top spot last year from Detroit, which remained No. 2 in the most dangerous city rankings, to be released Monday by Morgan Quitno Press.

The Lawrence, Kansas-based company publishes "City Crime Rankings," an annual reference book.

Listed as the most dangerous cities are: Camden, New Jersey; Detroit, Michigan; St. Louis, Missouri; Flint, Michigan; Richmond, Virginia; Baltimore, Maryland; Atlanta, Georgia; New Orleans, Louisiana; Gary, Indiana; Birmingham, Alabama.

At the other end of the scale, the safest are named as: Newton, Massachusetts; Clarkstown, New York; Amherst, New York; Mission Viejo, California; Brick Township, New Jersey; Troy, Michigan; Thousand Oaks, California; Round Rock, Texas; Lake Forest, California; Cary, North Carolina.

Development projects
    Camden, a former industrial city across the Delaware River from Philadelphia, is known for a history of corrupt politicians, drug-dealing and murders. It has been among the Top 10 in the most dangerous city rankings in each of the eight years Morgan Quitno released them. By most measures it is also among the nation's poorest.

The state has poured $175 million into the city to spur development projects and take over parts of its government, the city's aquarium doubled in size and a new library and technology center were built. Tourism continues to increase along the river, home to the aquarium, an amphitheater, a minor-league baseball park and a retired battleship.

But about 100 fewer prospective students than expected attended Rutgers University's downtown campus last year, something Provost Roger Dennis attributes to the crime ranking and a serial rapist who assaulted women near and on campus last fall.

Police are now using computers to try to track crime trends, and more officers are patrolling the city's neighborhoods.

Authorities say that has helped drive down the most serious crimes by 18 percent in the first 10 months of 2005 compared with the same period a year earlier.

Some residents say their neighborhoods feel a bit safer.

"I haven't heard that many gunshots," said Gracy Muniz, 22, a mother of three who lives in North Camden.

Critics note that Morgan Quitno's ranking is based on data from last year, when the city of 80,000 averaged a murder a week. Murders from January through October were down by 45 percent compared with the same period in 2004.

Scott Morgan, president of Morgan Quitno, said Friday that while the numbers may not be perfect, they are one of the only ways to compare crime in different cities.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/21/camden.crime.ap/index.html

PEACE!
    ISAIAH

2. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Camden NJ does seem off tha hook, however if it beats Oakland, CA, and Gary IN, in crime stats, then it's time for a serious reform. JMHO

3. BrothaAdinkra

BrothaAdinkra Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Of course..I would be from the third most dangerous and living in the sixth most dangerous...I'm doin well..what y'all think? lol

4. Steve69

Steve69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I thought it was odd that about a week before the Richmond times reported that when a survey was done on the quality of life in Richmond. The majority of Whites said crime was a problem but the majority of blacks did not think crime was a problem. And then it comes out after that Richmond was #5 for crime.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Chicago no playground that's for sure ....

6. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I don't care what any paper statistics say....EXPERIENCE is the best teacher.

New York City will forever be #1 on my list as the most dangerous place in America hands down.

Then Chicago.

All this talk about Detroit, Los Angeles, St. Louis and othercities being so dangerous and plagued with crime is bogus b.s.

Just drive (if you dare) through the toughest neighborhoods of these cities then take a tour of New York and you'll quickly realize that none of them can touch Brooklyn.

Not even up for discussion.

If you aren't used to them, the subways alone will leave you shook up.

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    New York isn't that bad; however, this list is something none of us should be proud of. It is a safe bet that black people were the primary targets of the crimes that earned these city's the dubious distinction of most dangerous. We should not have to live in fear of our people!

8. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Detroit, by far, leads in the most violent crimes and property crimes. I assume that Camden takes the top spot due to the % of all crimes in relation to it's population. I'm surprised that Los Angeles is not on the list while several cities I have considered moving to are.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Dual Karnayn, when is the last time you visited New York Ciy, and rode the subways here???(smile!) Brother, you can ride the subways most anytime of night - New Yorkers with night gigs do - and it is the same as riding them in the daytime... They are packed to the point where one cannot get a seat... There is a no homeless on the subways policy here, and believe me, it is strictly enforced...

Now, as for Brooklyn, our population is about 3.5 million residents, which makes it larger then Detroit or New Orleans, Atlanta, Birmingham, and Richmond... My NEIGHBORHOOD is larger than the city of New Orleans! My NEIGHBORHOOD, which is about 600,000 people, had less homicides than New Orleans for the past 10 years!

This is not a comparison based on the quality of people in either city, it is based on sociological factors, such as POVERTY, and what desparation and despair it entails... Clearly you understand that NYC offers far more economic opportunity than smaller cities, like Detroit, Birmingham, or Camden, New Jersey. There are more businesses here, the civl service here, and municipal employment here is greater than any city in America, perhaps, the world... All one need do is pass a Civil Service examination, and you've got a reasonably well-paying job... A NYCTA Bus Operator makes $26.00 an hour after 3 years on the job, and all he or she needs to do is possess a commercial driver's license and pass the exam... Train Operators make about $30.00 an hour, and do not need the commercial driver's license...

Can ya do that in Detroit or Birmingham??? Would you, if the city had a mass transit system that included subways??? Hey, The MTA in NYC is dominated by African American employees, and I'm sure the same can be said of Chicago and Philadelphia... That is why these cities are not on the list, though they are much larger in size and population... People in those cities know that there are some options, and thus try to exhaust those options before resorting to other methods to cop that cheddar...

Also, we don't have gangs running around the streets here as in other cities... It just aint healthy to be brandishing colors, and doing ya little gang signs in a city with 40,000 police, or 13,000 police on any given 8-hour shift... Contrast those numbers with the city of New Orleans, whose police force is made up of 1,600 men and women, or 500 police on any given shift... That's 13,000 to 500, brother, can you see a difference??? Even Los Angeles, last I heard, has only a 10,000 member police force, and it's land mass and population is larger than New York's...

Now, since September 11, 2001, security in this city is starting to get on our nerves it's so intense... Please, my beloved, I dig you a lot, but get your facts in order... Your logic should tell you - and would tell you if you lived and visited here - that New York City has to be one of safest cities in America to live in, because "terrorists" aren't looking to make any statements in Detroit or Birmingham, hence, police presence is strong, and deters a lot of nonsense...

Overall, however, I would say that were things even steven on the employment front in New Orleans and Birmingham, I'd rather live there... I love southern warmth and hospitality, and would not hesitate to live south were jobs readily available in Memphis, and Louisville, and Charleston, South Carolina... Oh, and I've got a LOTTA friends from the Motor City, and all of 'em are my kinda people, good people, like you, Dual Karnayn... You sure you aint Ralfa'il in a different disguise, yo?(smile!) Your writting style can't just be a DETROIT KINDA THANG... Hmmmm...

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Lol.....

I was born and raised in Michigan and lived in Detroit a number of years.

Detroit, New Orleans, even Los Angeles can't TOUCH the Brook or any other part of New York as far as crime goes.

I'm not talking about what's reported on the news or what's written down on paper....I'm talking FIRST HAND experiences.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. In 2005 Morgan Quitno Press ranked which city the most dangerous city in America?