Black Education / Schools : Morehouse joins elite STEM training program

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Liberty, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,252
    SMASH Academy is building new generations of scientists and engineers

[​IMG]

Morehouse College student Temitayo Agoro poses for a portrait on the Morehouse College campus, Thursday, Nov. 12, 2015, in Atlanta. Students rallied from three of the nation’s leading Historically Black Colleges and Universities in an effort to promote positive images of African American youth. AP Photo/Branden Camp

Morehouse College has become the first historically black campus to join an elite West Coast-based science and math training program whose main mission is to identify and train African-American and Latino technology workers.

The Summer Math and Science Honors Academy (SMASH) typically trains rising 10th- through 12th-graders in a 5-week residential summer program that exposes them to computer science, math, science and engineering design.

The program, created by Level Playing Field Institute (LPFI) in Oakland, California, started in 2004 and has academies at the University of California-Berkeley (original site), Stanford University, University of California-Los Angeles and University of California-Davis.

Read more

https://theundefeated.com/features/morehouse-joins-elite-stem-training-program/

2. umbrarchist

umbrarchist Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    What a joke!

I just received my Raspberry Pi 3 from Amazon 2 weeks ago. It has a Python interpreter and a C compiler built into the OS download. At $35 parents can buy them for grade school kids. So what is impressive about STEM in college with things like Kahn Academy on YouTube?

My RasPi has built in wifi and plays video off YouTube.

um