Africa : More Than One Husband - Tribe in Africa

Moorfius said:
:flirt: The old times,the old ways and origenal ideas mostly "Pre-Historic", in other words "before Europens started recording their story". Long before the so-called whites of europe discovered Africa, The african woman was the natural head of the family units in African social functions, this is called "Matriarchy". There are still tribes in africa that live this way of life from pre-his-story times. This is the natural way of things, the woman is the first teacher to us all. The woman is the first leader, teacher, guide, nurse, cook, food gatheror and head of all family activities in the "village".
:bowdown: :whip: With the arrival of the invaders from the hills and caves of europe into africa things started to change, they (so-called) whites brought with them the un-natural ways ware the man was the "Ruler" over every thing, this is called "Patriarchy". Things are now turned up-side-down from the invading influence. The men of europe had to know who the father was so they could have different conchubines or women who were no more than servents in this kind of culture, if it can be called that.
There is much more to this "his-story vs our-story" but you have to fill in the gaps if you choose. The African image of life is Man and Woman side by side, twin halfs of each other, the man is the natural protector-warrior,among other things. Brothers and Sisters.
Sincerely

Again, good post, Moorfius!

If it appears that I am vacillating between yourself and Sunship by co-signing on both your posts, which appear diametrically opposed, it is based on the presentations you've both made... They both are chock full of history and logical analysis, and leave one attempting to weigh each with equal vigor...

I buy what SunShip said based on pure human behavior and psychology, and buy your explanation based on, as you said, the Matriarchical nature of African societies... However, I do not believe that African ethnic groups practiced polyandry to any great extent, though I agree with you wholeheartedly that African Women's role in African societies were corrupted by the European model... Aint NO doubt about THAT!

Peace!
Isaiah

Ok, Sun point taken. Only reason I cited ancient Hebrew as 'people of color' as not to get into any arguments of whether ancient Hebrews were Black or not. As cited in by Bible scholars, a lot of people if not Black were at least to some extent very dark. Examples are Hittites and Philistines, which King David had the former in his armies and the latter as his personal bodyguards. As far as lineage Bathsheba was married to a Hittite who David later offed and historians pretty much said that David's son, Solomon was dark. From mother presumably-who knows?

Wait

Sunship...You must have misunderstood me ...I am not making a pseudo-argument for polyandry. Never. I stated that I did not approve of polygamy - this is based on my knowledge of it and first hand experience of it. I feel the same way about polyandry. What I was questioning was the double standard.

Moving on, I'm rather interested in knowing why you regard monogamy as masochistic and unnatural. Is polygamy natural? How so? I'd like to hear your perspective.

Just look at nature and the history of man...

fanyamambo said:
Sunship...You must have misunderstood me ...I am not making a pseudo-argument for polyandry. Never. I stated that I did not approve of polygamy - this is based on my knowledge of it and first hand experience of it. I feel the same way about polyandry. What I was questioning was the double standard.

Moving on, I'm rather interested in knowing why you regard monogamy as masochistic and unnatural. Is polygamy natural? How so? I'd like to hear your perspective.

I would love to dig into the answers you have requested about monogamy and polygamy. Matter of fact there were a couple of long running threads about polygamy/monogamy right here at Destee.com that were loaded with documentation and insightful comments, by many of the forum participants.

But, before I go any further, are you going to tell me that monogamy doesn’t have just as many problems as any other forms of relationship?

Have you watched the news in countries that have monogamy as the only legal form of marriage?

Do you have any knowledge about how brutally and unjustly women have been treated historically in “so-called” Christian monogamist cultures?

I have experienced monogamy first-hand, because I am living in a monogamist testosterone driven culture/society and you can’t tell me statistically, morally or socially that monogamy alone is a winning proposition, for all people. History and present day conditions would prove you wrong. …LET’S LOOK AT THE FACTS. And if you can’t find the facts hopefully I, along with others here will help.

I will answer your questions more directly and more thoroughly, I just have a time-crunch this morning. Waiting to hear your reply.

Peace,

Sun Ship

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back