Law Forum : More Than 60 Shot, 9 Dead in Chicago's Bloody Holiday Weekend

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by UBNaturally, Aug 21, 2014.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    For some strange reason I presumed this has already been posted here (overlooked it if so):

July 7, 2014

Independence Day celebrations were marred by multiple shootings in Chicago that reportedly left at least nine dead and 60 injured.

The first fatal shooting occurred around 2:30 a.m. Friday, kicking off a violent weekend for the city.

Read more...

2. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I believe wrkingwhiteman posted it, already.

3. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
  4. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
  5. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Yea, looks that way... but guess it's nothing to talk about as it's becoming a normal situation.

6. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    right now.. I believe most folks are focused on the latest incidents in Fergusson.. and amongst those concerned with the brutality of the State are others who offer the crimes among those affected by the institutionalized racism present in the so-called Justice system as some sort of indictment against the action taking place.. "but what about black on black crime", they say.. "60 people were shot in Chicago, how come nobody was protesting then?". I'm sure that argument is being hoisted up against black people all across the nation. It's an interesting phenomena, wielded usually by cultural critics that have something of a permanent beef with the behaviors of 99% of black people.. a fact.. i suspect.. that has little to do with the actual actions of black people.. but more to do with the critics loathing of masses black people in general.. and also.. the critics imagined superiority to the masses of black people.. no matter what they do.

But most of us that have been here for a while recognize that angle already as something of a context slip.. most of us recognize that it is precisely the inhumane treatment of black people by the State through it's justice system, prison system, etc.. that leads, feeds.. even.. creates the culture of violence and decadence you see reflected in those Chicago streets.

so what more needs to be said?

7. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    "officers shot a total of 5 people"
    "it's groundhog day"

There are threads on how "Ebola" is killing "Africans" and how it may be spreading like an epidemic. Still getting updated with news, yet Ebola has been in effect for 20 years

1995 to 2013
    Claimed the lives of more than 1,000 Africans

Claimed the lives of more than 1,000 Africans

The escalation is news, more than it killing Africans as the death toll is tabulated for statistics and shock.

When any "Black/African" is being killed (not to mention the 9 year old that nobody seems to care about, unless the news comes out that a cop shot him), it is a good discourse to have as to what is going on without singular minded thoughts to point in only one direction.

Could it be that the "State" is behind many of the shootings?
    The "State" creates the "gangs" and supports them for ulterior motives

But back to Ferguson, forget about Chicago.... the Bears and Bulls will be playing soon.

Nothing more to be said about "youths" being shot to death.... hmmm
    As some would say, "it is what it is"?

8. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Which is why it is SICKENING when black people post Chicago "shooting" incidents and do not bother to determine WHO did the shooting and WHO was shot. They, instead, presume that ALL the shooters and those shot were black. From the nonsensical, "white man got yo' mind" statistics about that city, one would think that white people in Chicago do not shoot other white people, in Chicago (no Yt husbands catch their pure as the driven snow wives in bed with another man, a million plus Chicago whites don't have ANY guns in their homes their white children playing Cops & Robbers might find and shoot each other with, no "accidental" shootings of any kind by any whites, etc, ad nauseum). And of course, none of the Hispanic gangs like the Latin Kings shoot each other, certainly don't do "drive-bys" in Hispanic neighborhoods - those are committed by black gangs.... who got lost....? :10500:

That "argument" bolstered by black posters making it a fetish to claim every shooting, death or otherwise, in the city of Chicago was committed by a black person.

That all the shootings in Chicago aren't perpetrated by black people.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    what is it like living on a day by day basis in Chicago?

10. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I'm sure daily life of black Chicagoans is no different than the daily lives of blacks in any other big city. As one who has lived in and certainly visited other cities and other states, the biggest difference I see between blacks in Chicago and blacks elsewhere is that Chicago blacks are.... well, let's put it the way Old Soul(?) put it: "Politics is to Chicago as the Arts are to New York."

Black Chicagoans are some of the most politically sophisticated blacks in the U.S., thus the world (God help us). For instance, at one of the 6-PAC Conventions (PAC = Pan African Convention) in Africa, the nations represented were called: The Nigeria delegation, the U.K. delegation, the Jamaican delegation, the Moroccan/Ugandan/Zimbabwean etc., delegations. Although comprising one group of delegates, the U.S. delegation had TWO names, i.e., the "official" American delegation, and the "unofficial" Chicago delegation. The non-U.S. delegates to 6-Pac recognized a clear political difference between Chicago blacks to the convention and the rest of America's black delegates.

One "difference" is that last time I looked, black Chicagoans (smart people, conscious people, UNconscious people, nice people, ig'nant people, bourgie people, people who get on your last nerve, i.e., average black people) filed suit for racial discrimination at something like 10x's the rate of any other city in the U.S. .... including NYC with at least 4xs more black residents.

When the book about the last "machine" mayor in the U.S., "Boss," by Mike Royko came out, it was a sensation everywhere but Chicago. It was, in fact, panned by almost every Chicago critic as sophomoric and did not sell well in the city. Recently, a friend from southern Illinois told me that it had been REQUIRED reading in his Political Science class when he attended the University of Illinois at Urbana. He waxed rhapsodic about Chicago politics under Richard J. Daley (father, not son) until I had to stop him with a grunt and a "puh-lese!" Reason? He was telling me NOTHING I didn't know as a teenager. And certainly nothing I didn't know about Chicago POWER politics as a young adult.

I read a book about Lyndon B. Johnson, POTUS, the greatest (read: slickest) politician ever to grace the halls of Congress and the White House. My mouth stayed open and my brow furrowed as I read the most UN-sophisticated power politics imaginable. Any alderman in Chicago could have out-dirtied (his southern strategy of dumping on blacks to win white votes) and out-muscled(his gentle and not-so gentle persuasion of Congressmen to pass laws, etc.) him any day of the week! Sneaky, back-stabbing, back-room wheeling & dealing, Chicago politicians have no equal (that I've ever seen).

Point is, black Chicago children (of all races) are raised as keenly aware of what's going on in city hall as kids in Italy are aware of what Michaelangelo's masterpieces look like. It is open discussion everywhere. People on MBs sneer at Obama. People in Chicago sneer at nearly every alderman in the city... not just their own.... as well as the mayor who presides over them along with the POTUS, and on as regular a basis.

Living in a city where whites don't "pretend" to like blacks, where whites can be "raw" in their open dislike, black Chicagoans tend to fight back more. Or perhaps, harder (thus, the preponderance of discrimination lawsuits). For instance, when Harold Washington ran for mayor, white Chicagoans howled at the n***a's audacity, and black Chicago squared off. In an atmosphere that escalated to near RACE RIOT! proportions, things got so hot, the atmosphere was so tense in and out of the neighborhoods, spilling even into the workplace, and so thick you could cut it with the proverbial knife, that the mayoral race attracted not only national, but international news coverage. The U.S. was on another of its bloody military excursions, that one into Lebanon. One headline of the New York Times likened the tinderbox atmosphere to the fighting in the Mideast and called Chicago, "Beriut by the Lake." Holding the course despite the almost palpable tension and pressure from newspapers to vote against Washington (Walter Jacobson, #1 network affiliate news anchor at the time and a Jew who reasoned, on air, that there was nothing wrong with white people voting for white people (Washington's opponent was a Jew) and black people (30% of the population - not enough to vote in a city-wide dog catcher) voting for black people) as well as co-workers and employers who trashed the black mayor-wannabe for serving jail time in a city where for politicians, jail time is a rite of passage, Harold Washington got more black votes than Barak Obama (who got over 90% of the black vote, nationwide).

On a "personal" level, I was talking to a couple of twenty-something females a couple of years ago. I mentioned the "difference" between the way black Chicagoans reacted to discrimination and other place blacks, the lawsuits, etc., saying that Chicago blacks were much less likely than blacks in other cities to take mess off white people. One of the sistas, about 20, had an "aha!" moment. She had been feeling like, maybe a freak or something, and our convo straightened things out for her. Turned out: Freak, my patootie - she was the average... Chicagoan! She explained that she had been visiting relatives in Oklahoma. A brutha asked her out. They went to a restaurant, sat at a table with the last diners' plates, etc., on it. None of the empty tables had been bussed, so she wasn't put off. Not until she noticed that anytime a white couple came in, the waitress hurried to clean off their table, then took their order(s). After about the 3rd time she overlooked them to clean off some incoming white people's table, AND since her date had just sat there for the past 45 minutes, watching and saying nothing, she called out to the waitress as she passed: "Excuse miss. But we've been here a while. Could you clean off our table, please?" To her shock, her date got pissed! "That's what I say about you Chicago people! She would have gotten around to cleaning it off. You didn't have to blah blah blah.... all you had to do was wait!!" She had been feeling since that incident that maybe there was something wrong with her!

Like I said, black Chicagoans do the "eff you! You can't do this to me!" and file an awful lot of discrimination lawsuits. That's the major diff that I see between daily life in Chicago and elsewhere: The attitude toward race and politics.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014