More on the Biblical Aspect of Not Eating Pork...

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Aqil, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    Doesn't it seem strange that all the animals on the planet have a specific diet that they feed according to? Birds eat seeds, cats and dogs eat meat, cows eat grass, etc. Only human beings think that they can eat everything. It just does not seem natural; Why would God create all the creatures on earth with a specific diet for their health and well-being, and leave man without a human diet? Answer: HE DIDN’T!

All types of animals are clean to be eaten - whether those living on land or in the water - except those specifically forbidden in God's Law which are revealed as being not suitable or good for food. So in fact, swine flesh is not “food” at all!

Swine belongs to the animals that are not designated as food, and are not to be eaten. Pigs will eat almost anything that is rotten or dirty, and they are very lazy animals. It is the most covetous and greedy of all domestic animals. Among all animals, the pig is the cradle of harmful germs. Its flesh serves as a carrier of diseases to mankind; this is the very reason why it is unfit for human consumption.

The Old Testament

The first five books of the Bible (i.e., the Pentateuch) are known as the Law. Within this law there are three divisions; moral, health and sacrificial or ceremonial law. Under the new covenant or agreement between God and His people, true Christians keep the moral law contained in the Ten Commandments and all of God’s health laws. Man's health and well-being is protected by keeping God’s moral and health laws. Christians are no longer under the sacrificial or ceremonial law which was fulfilled by the sacrifice of Christ, thus they are no longer under the penalty of the law...which is death (Galatians).

The true church of God believes in the Old Testament. Adherents of other religions alleged that the New Testament superseded the health laws. This unfounded argumentation is without merit. No one can specifically point out where Jesus lifted the prohibition of parasite-infested swine. On the contrary, he upheld it and declared:
    "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.” (Matthew 5:17) Jesus was obviously referring to the existing Law of God, in which the Law prohibiting pig as an article of food is part of. (See Leviticus 11:7-8.)

"Concerning all the animals which divide the hoof, but do not make a split hoof, or which do not chew cud, they are unclean to you: whoever touches them becomes unclean." (Leviticus 11:26) In addition, the book of Isaiah says:

"Who sit in tombs, and spend the night in secret places who eat swine's flesh and broth of abominable things is in their vessels...these are a smoke in my nostrils, a fire that burns all the day." (Isaiah 65:4,5)

The New Testament

Despite the Biblical injunction prohibiting pork as food, still people of other religious persuasions insist on finding ways and reasons to justify their consumption of prohibited animals, arguing that said Biblical prohibition was already superseded in the New Testament...when in fact, no one can specifically point out where Jesus lifted the prohibition. The fact is, we will find in Mark 5:1-20 that Jesus permitted the foul spirits (evil spirits) possessing a man to enter into a herd of swine, since the flesh of swine was unlawful for the Jews to eat, and since it is considered unclean.

The only provision in the New Testament alluded to their argument is in Act 10:10-16. Without reading the whole context, one would be inclined to interpret it to mean that God abolished His previous command found in Deuteronomy 14:3-8.

The vision of Peter in Acts 10:10-16 is alleged to supersede Deuteronomy 14:3-8. However, nowhere in the Bible is it mentioned that Peter actually ate the unclean animals he saw in his vision. To the contrary, 25 years after the ascension of Jesus, Peter proclaims; "I have never eaten anything common or unclean.'' The correct evaluation of this vision is revealed to us in Acts 10:28, "God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean." Acts 10:28 therefore carries an allegorical connotation, referring explicitly to the Gentile nations or non-Israeli people that God is calling. Peter was told not to call the Gentiles "common" and "unclean" because God's mercy and forgiveness also extends to the non-Jew, and life eternal in the kingdom of God also awaits the repentant Gentile.

The Millennium

The book of Isaiah, ch. 66:1-24, is a prophecy of the new Heavens and the new Earth...a time after Jesus returns to rule all nations and set up his kingdom on Earth. Within that context God still condemns eating the flesh of pigs, reptiles, and rats:

"Those who sanctify and purify themselves to go into the gardens, following one in the midst, eating swine's flesh and the abomination and mice, shall come to an end together says the LORD. " (Isaiah 67:17)

It is ridiculous to think that God changed His good health laws in the New Testament, and will start them up again during the Millennium. The prohibition on the eating of unclean animals (which are proven detrimental to good health) was not abrogated during New Testament times. God will punish the unrepentant transgressors in the lake of fire.

In conclusion

You are what you eat! Your body is called the "temple of the Holy Spirit" (1 Corinthians 6:19), thus it is your duty not to abuse or harm God's temple in any way. We have been, “...bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's” (6:20). Our bodies are no longer ours to abuse, but rather God’s...to be cared for the way He instructs us. We should be mindful of Him in all things...including right eating.

2. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    According to Smith's Bible Dictionary, the diet of eastern nations has been in all ages light and simple. Vegetable food was more used than animal. Bread was the principal food; preparations of corn were, however, common. The Hebrews used a variety of articles (John 21:5) to give a relish to bread.

Milk and its preparations hold a conspicious place in the eastern diet, as affording essential nourishment; generally in the form of modern leben, i.e., sour milk. Authorized Version "butter"; Gen. 18:8; Judges 5:25; 2nd Samuel 17:26.

Fruit was another source of subsistence; figs stood first in importance; they were generally dried and pressed into cakes. Grapes were generally eaten in a dried state as raisins. Of vegetables we have most frequent notice of lentils, beans, leeks. onions and garlic, which were and still are of a superior quality in Egypt (Num. 11:5). Honey is extensively used, as is olive oil.
    The Orientals have been at all times sparing in the use of animal food. Not only does the excessive heat render it both unwholesome to eat much meat, and expensive from the necessity of immediately consuming a whole animal, but beyond this the ritual regulations of the Mosaic in ancient times - as of the Qur'an in modern times - have tended to the same result.

The prohibition expressed against consuming the blood of any animal Gen. 9:4, was more fully developed in the Levitical law, and enforced by the penalty of death. Lev. 3:17; 17:26; Deut. 12:16. Certain portions of the fat of sacrifices were also forbidden Lev. 3:9,10, as being set apart for the altar. Lev. 3:26; 7:25.

In addition to the above, Christians were forbidden to eat the flesh of animals - portions of which had been offered to idols. All beasts and birds classified as unclean, Lev. 11:1 ff.; Deut. 14:4 ff., were also prohibited. Under these restrictions the Hebrews were permitted the free use of animal food. Generally speaking, they only availed themselves of it in the exercise of hospitality or at festivals of a religious, public or private character.

It was only in royal households that there was a daily consumption of meat. The animals killed for meat were: calves, lambs, oxen not above three years of age, harts, roebucks and fallow deer; birds of various kinds; fish, with exception of such as were without scales or fins. Locusts, of which certain species only were esteemed clean (Matt. 3:4), but were regarded as poor fare...

3. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Eating and drinking are the primary needs of man, and it is the FIRST duty of a religion to guide him in this respect...

4. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Despite the Biblical injunction prohibiting pork as food, still people of other religious persuasions insist on finding ways and reasons to justify their consumption of prohibited animals, arguing that said Biblical prohibition was already superseded in the New Testament...when, in fact, no one can specifically point out where Jesus lifted the prohibition. The fact is, we will find in Mark 5:1-20 that Jesus permitted the foul spirits (evil spirits) possessing a man to enter into a herd of swine, since the flesh of swine was unlawful for the Jews to eat, and since it is considered unclean.

The only provision in the New Testament alluded to their argument is in Act 10:10-16. Without reading the whole context, one would be inclined to interpret it to mean that God abolished His previous command found in Deuteronomy 14:3-8.

The vision of Peter in Acts 10:10-16 is alleged to supersede Deuteronomy 14:3-8. However, nowhere in the Bible is it mentioned that Peter actually ate the unclean animals he saw in his vision. To the contrary, 25 years after the ascension of Jesus, Peter proclaims; "I have never eaten anything common or unclean.'' The correct evaluation of this vision is revealed to us in Acts 10:28, "God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean." Acts 10:28 therefore carries an allegorical connotation, referring explicitly to the Gentile nations or non-Israeli people that God is calling. Peter was told not to call the Gentiles "common" and "unclean" because God's mercy and forgiveness also extends to the non-Jew, and life eternal in the kingdom of God also awaits the repentant Gentile.

5. sweetbrownsugar

sweetbrownsugar Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Now wait a minute! You say, Smoke weed!( April 2003 thread Marijuana and the Bible) And don't eat pork. Hear that people viewing? The Bible pemits smoking weed! but not pork. If the Bible ok'd Marijuana then it's safe to make the assumption that some of the books of the Bible could've been written by someone as high as a kite! -Right? pork is not what kills me.....PEOPLE KILL ME trying to interpret the bible.

6. sweetbrownsugar

Ratings:
    +5
    A great number of people(christians) who eat Pork haven't even READ or don't even read the Bible. The Bible is one book that can be "blown out of proportion". We can read the same scripture and see if differently. Hence, certain holiness church goers down in TEXAS who dance and carry on before GOD with those SNAKES? Trusting in GOD that they won't bite but most of them get bit????????? Claiming the BIBLE says DO this crap. Biblical condonement of Marijuana? I think he meant EAT the vegetation for food not SMOKE as a DRUG. Shoot! Then everyone would have the munchies, be eating PORK, PEOPLE and making a mess of all his LAWS.

7. AUM

AUM Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    Before the version of the..."Holy Bible" was put together at the Nicene Council in 325a.c.e. under the authority of Roman Emperor Constantine by plagiarizing different mythologies (most coming from Ancient Kemet), Cannabis was used by priests, shamans, healers, etc. and was burned as incense on altars and in temples. Pigs, however, have always been regarded as unclean by the most ancient of cultures.

What's happening is alot of people think the world started a couple of years ago and whatever happened in that short time frame is the only thing that is truth (which nothing could be further from the truth). Always look beyond what you have been taught in this modern(western) day culture as far as "religion" which comes from the latin 'religio'-to tie or fasten back. But it takes one thing to do this (how ironic?)...FAITH.

"AUM" VORTEX

8. sweetbrownsugar

Ratings:
    +5
    See, that's just it. I don't want to rely on ancient culture or today's culture on laws (the Bible) from God. I feel comfortable in relying on and believing in a higher power responsible for us being here. Now, I don't know what that makes me. I would like to say I believe in God, solo but if I am to believe in the Bible written by ancient men, I get the impression that there are several GODS maybe? -GENESIS ( let us make make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness;.... ) Let me just say, I don't know what to believe. But there are things that I am not going to believe. and blow out of proportion either. I guess I would need some convincing evidence untouched by MAN that God said whatever. I'm thinking that would come after this lifetime. So far I think I'm accepting the Bible as....an ancient, elaborate History Book unlike any other History book that I've read But once again told by MAN. I can believe all day long that Man said don't eat pork and that Man dabbled with Marijuana and Man wrote the Bible. Basically, I don't have faith in Man. But I believe in a power higher than that of Man.....does that make sense? or sounds as if I"M the one smoking weed?????

9. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

We live by the grace of faith, and not by the law of the works anymore. This is why it is okay for the faithful to eat whatever they feel will satisfy them, save for blood and things strangled, or sacrificed to demons or idols.

In the older Scriptures, The Father gave Noe(Noah) and his descendants all the animals for meat to eat, not excluding any, meaning even the Hebrews ate all things. However, when the law was brought in and given, they, the Israelites were chosen to abstain from certain ones, and any gentile who chose to be apart had to follow suit as well.

However, when faith was brought and given through the sacrifice of the Holy Son, all things were able to be eaten of the faithful, so long as it's done in faith, not merely in desire.