Black People : More like European Day of Dominance and Oppression?

Queenie

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
How pompous and arrogant and hypocritical can this be? What is the true meaning behind this one day that is designated each year in America and called "Thanksgiving"? It has become a national event that is often referred to as a "holiday" which is derived from "holy day". Who thought of it and why? Do you ever wonder or support reasons why Native Indians protest against it?

As African Americans I realize we can define and celebrate "thanksgiving" whichever way we see fit based on our own beliefs and cultural perspectives. But I'm curious as to how many of us do our own thing on this particular day or do we follow in the tradition of the europeans?

I remember being 'taught' (programmed) in school that this day depicted a group of white people who were called "pilgrims", giving thanks to an indigenous people (they called Indians) who were here BEFORE them, for helping them to survive after they arrived to this 'foreign' country. I can remember seeing pictures around and in textbooks that showed pilgrims and Indians sharing happily in the bounty brought forth from the land by the Indians. Images of long tables spread out with roasted turkey and corn, and what has become known as their traditional meal in celebration of this event. This propaganda always showed Indians generously bringing food and sharing their 'wealth' with the less fortunate pilgrims. This may have been true early on, I can't say that it wasn't. But we know what happened later which is far different than this friendly fellowship and their legacy lives on today. So what are the europeans REALLY giving thanks for? For Indians being so trusting and naive enough to help them?

When you smell the turkey roasting in your oven with all the trimmings; when families gather together around the dinner table and someone says a prayer; when children are playing and the men sit around the television with full stomachs watching parades or football and dozing off to sleep while women are in the kitchen cleaning up--what are you giving thanks for...or are you?

NNQueen said:
How pompous and arrogant and hypocritical can this be? What is the true meaning behind this one day that is designated each year in America and called "Thanksgiving"? It has become a national event that is often referred to as a "holiday" which is derived from "holy day". Who thought of it and why? Do you ever wonder or support reasons why Native Indians protest against it?

As African Americans I realize we can define and celebrate "thanksgiving" whichever way we see fit based on our own beliefs and cultural perspectives. But I'm curious as to how many of us do our own thing on this particular day or do we follow in the tradition of the europeans?

I remember being 'taught' (programmed) in school that this day depicted a group of white people who were called "pilgrims", giving thanks to an indigenous people (they called Indians) who were here BEFORE them, for helping them to survive after they arrived to this 'foreign' country. I can remember seeing pictures around and in textbooks that showed pilgrims and Indians sharing happily in the bounty brought forth from the land by the Indians. Images of long tables spread out with roasted turkey and corn, and what has become known as their traditional meal in celebration of this event. This propaganda always showed Indians generously bringing food and sharing their 'wealth' with the less fortunate pilgrims. This may have been true early on, I can't say that it wasn't. But we know what happened later which is far different than this friendly fellowship and their legacy lives on today. So what are the europeans REALLY giving thanks for? For Indians being so trusting and naive enough to help them?

When you smell the turkey roasting in your oven with all the trimmings; when families gather together around the dinner table and someone says a prayer; when children are playing and the men sit around the television with full stomachs watching parades or football and dozing off to sleep while women are in the kitchen cleaning up--what are you giving thanks for...or are you?

Aha! NNQueen you probably don't know it but within you're statement is how black people became enslaved and how to become "unenslaved" as it were. I want you to try and figure out what I'm talking about, but I'll give you a clue:

You said that the traditional propaganda of the Thanks giving celebration has always been of Indians "generously...sharing their 'wealth'..." Well from this one can immediately infer that this act of generosity was a great mistake committed by the Indian. Correct? Now then; you should ask your self: what is they key to being powerful in the world, and how did whites unknowingly use this knowledge to conquer the world.

The answer has many levels: intellectual, physical, spiritual and emotional. Black people haven't even began to tap into this. Thus, we are where we are and they are where they are.

peace NNQueen

thank you for starting this thread... may be to hot to handle for some folk... but i'm feeling this truth... cause if we ALL really think about what this day represents and the holocaust of our Native brothers and sisters that followed... we wouldn't swallow any of this bull...corn :)...

personally i'm thankful 365/66 days a year... and no longer go all out to participate in a fake day that really isn't holy at all!... i mean, what if they had a so-called holiday that was centered around us and our holocaust...but sugar coated?... how would we feel?...

okay, maybe for some we'd be like oh heck no!... but for many others who feel ignorance is bliss they'd probably be all for it... eating, drinking, being merry... the ignorant, blind leading the blind... or just the blind being lead by the wicked is very scary... don't know about y'all but i've wiped away a great amount of sleep... and today i weep for my Native family...

peace, blessings & knowledge to us all!
nadia*binta

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Be Thankful for whatever you have to be thankful for. Spend time with family. Bond, laugh, have a good time. Play some spades and lay around after eating way too much. I hope everyone has a good day.

NNQueen...I feel you on this thread. But this day means something different for me than it might mean traditionally. This is a time of year when I'm thankful for my family. We don't really get to see each other except on special occasions. Thanksgiving is when we all get together. We celebrate ourselves. I go see close friends and close friends come see me. It's a beautiful day for us. Not because of what happened to the Native Americans, but because of what I have to be thankful today.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back