Black Education / Schools : More black parents turning to home schooling

I live in Washington state and it is done in many of the schools. I remember this one school told it's black students that if they want to learn black history, they will have to find outside instructions. Black history really isn't taught in the schools here.

Here is a link,select a school in the drop down window, then click on the curriculum on the left. You won't find history because they have merged it with social studies, which doesn't really cover black history.

Also,here is a black principle that had to take matters into her own hands in this mostly white community.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KVY4VmlfI92MgIA4Q&sig2=vjRDozApLiwgOSP7Kd3dIw

Out here,it seems the blacks have no sense of who they are. Most let their kids get taught any kind of way, most parents look at school as being a daycare. This is how the teachers get away with the things they do. They hate seeing me come up to school, and I see more whites up there than blacks. When we have school meetings, I see mostly whites demanding answers.

Thank you, and I would recommend home schooling to anybody that feels they can do it. the thing is that you have to educate yourself as to the dollar amount your child means to the school. This is important because I have ran into parents that was told they can't do it. Bull... the school just don't want to see lost revenue. IMO, many parents don't do it because you have to take a class that is so easy it is a crime. But that takes work....you get the picture.

I remembered this site, it has a lot of good info.

The Ten Most Important Things
You Need to Know About Homeschooling

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...29wOdxs_4BFByov7A&sig2=RB01t_E9mKrBVxZPvmFWPQ

Peace!

I can actually understand them not teaching "Black history" but not teaching decimals and fractions until the 7th grade is inexcusable.

That is two years behind average since mtiplying and deciding fractions and decimals is 5th grade math.

6th Pre Algebra
8th Geometra
9th Algebra 2
10th Pre Calculus and Trig
11th Trig

The SAT and even most professional exams such as the CBEST, GRE, NTE and LSAT focus on basics into 8th grade math with a few higher level test items for higher weight.

Much love and respect to you brutha O. I see on a daily bases how the lack of education keeps us out of the higher paying jobs. Out of 10 years of being an Eng. I have seen only one that does what I do..come on bruh...that has to change.The most crucial and imperative element in Woodson's concept of our mis-education rest on the fact that this education system is a failure. It doesn't present us with any authentic black history.

History books today give little or no space for the black race's presence in America. Granted...Some of them contain casual reference to blacks but many are depicted in subordinate roles. While at the same time stressing our good fortune of being enslaved which brought us to the white man's higher civilization.

We have to look hard at our state of affairs and realize that this education system is dooming us to a brain washed acceptance of this inferior role the whites have assigned to us.

Peace brutha O!!!!!!

Last week I was interviewing a parent who has two kids she wanted to enroll in our day program. Her daughter attended two years ago then returned to her charter school so I was surprised to see them. She has concern for her son in the second grade. Anyway, during the interview she mentioned to me a book by the author Jawanza Kunjufu. As she was talking, I reached over into my file cabinet where I keep my personal materials and showed her the book Conspiracy to Destroy Black Boys to let her know that I'm on it. I had to cut her short and told her I don't need her to explain. I will find out whether her son has a learning disability or not given my own interaction with him.

Teaching Our Story is important but what I find more important is for us service providers to use our understanding of Black culture on creating our own pedagogy/teaching methodology especially as it relates to teaching basic literacy skills. Use the Black history for the content but the grammar, phonics, vocab etc for the structural mastery. I would also suggest balancing the historical reading in raiding consciousness but with a scientific foundation.

When I first started school myomere pulled me out of Kinder and home schooled me. I went back for first grade then she put me in private school. I skipped the fourth grade and when I finished the fifth they wanted to skip me to the eighth.

My foundation when I was homeschooled was the Problem Book and other teachings of Elijah Muhammad. I was a child actor. School plays. Community theatre. Television commercials. A traveling church choir. I performed with my group on tour to Madison Square Gardens at the World Festival in 1964 at the age of six. I also played basebal and had family members who were pro players. I was way advanced for my age, academically, but very immature and emotionally unbalanced. But it was that black history engrained in me at a very young age, along with a strong basic skills program which made the difference. My point here us to encourage you on all fronts, but make sure your program is balanced and well rounded.

Peace my brother Enki!

They are using the same materials from the 40s?

Where on earth is this?

I can't speak for any other state than Michigan. I am not sure if all of the edu materials are the all over the US from the Government? A girl friend and I did some research a couple of years ago on the style of teaching and INFORMATION being taught to children in specific ages. We found out that although some of the technology has changed, the focus has been shifted due to technology, the books, the materials, what is taught, HOW IT IS TAUGHT is no different than in the 40's. The manner in which they PRESENT OR PACKAGE the material SEEMS different but it's not all that different. The food has just now begun to change slowly now that the US is facing an obesity epidemic. Michigan as the most children who are obese than any other state!! The whole entire public school curriculum has not advanced very far. It's sad. Our children deserve to be taught material that is "up to date" and innovative. The only reason I can see that they are not "advancing" our children academically is because they want to produce robots not independent thinkers who can radically change the world.

That is the problem bruh. I teach my kids math out of my books, and books I buy. Do you know that here where I live, students don't get really get introduced to fractions and decimals until the 7th grade.

peace!

Yep. My daughter got exposed to decimals and fractions in the 4th grade! Home school she's doing chemistry in 7th! Wow..

I can't speak for any other state than Michigan. I am not sure if all of the edu materials are the all over the US from the Government? A girl friend and I did some research a couple of years ago on the style of teaching and INFORMATION being taught to children in specific ages. We found out that although some of the technology has changed, the focus has been shifted due to technology, the books, the materials, what is taught, HOW IT IS TAUGHT is no different than in the 40's. The manner in which they PRESENT OR PACKAGE the material SEEMS different but it's not all that different. The food has just now begun to change slowly now that the US is facing an obesity epidemic. Michigan as the most children who are obese than any other state!! The whole entire public school curriculum has not advanced very far. It's sad. Our children deserve to be taught material that is "up to date" and innovative. The only reason I can see that they are not "advancing" our children academically is because they want to produce robots not independent thinkers who can radically change the world.

I would like to see the studies which suggest teaching methodologies have not changed since the 1940s.

Using the Internet and computer software programs such as Accelerated Reader or the older Writing to Read were considered innovations when they were first introduced.

The same with online and distance learning programs.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back