Black Education / Schools : More black parents turning to home schooling

"Homeschoolers score higher than 86% of their public school peers, according to a new study called Progress Report 2009: Homeschool Academic Achievement and Demographics.

This 86th percentile is a composite score in Reading, Language, Math, Social Studies and Science.

It is based on test results of 11,739 homeschooled students from all 50 states. Tests used included the 2007-8 California Achievement Test, Iowa Tests of Basic Skills, and Stanford Achievement Test.

It has also been found that homeschoolers are successful in college.

Continue reading on Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/education-i...s-score-higher-than-86-of-peers#ixzz1BuAMXyYu

Enjoy this inspirational interview and performance with Morgan and Jamie-Grace Harper in Atlanta, GA at a homeschool conference.

Scoring higher than 86% of their peers is not the same as scoring in the 86th percentile. That is an error in data interpretation.

However, be careful with those numbers. Not all student in home schooling or independent study programs are taught core subjects by their parents.

That is why Sylvan and centers such as the program I work for exist. To assist the parents as third party instructional providers with a smaller class setting since many if not most parents work.

Scoring higher than 86% of their peers is not the same as scoring in the 86th percentile. That is an error in data interpretation.

However, be careful with those numbers. Not all student in home schooling or independent study programs are taught core subjects by their parents.

That is why Sylvan and centers such as the program I work for exist. To assist the parents as third party instructional providers with a smaller class setting since many if not most parents work.

I home schooled mine for the first few years,then I put them in public school. It has it's pro's and cons, and I found out that my kids excel better when they are challenged with other kids in their age group.

When I would ask them questions, they would freeze up because it was hard to separate the father/authoritarian for the teacher.

Peace!

I am fortunate to be in a position where I can home school my child. She is a straight A student and loves to learn. Her mind is more open now than in school and she is more relaxed as she gets that one on one time. We plan field trips, take advantage of learning opportunities to deepen her experiences and find that it has built our relationship to a respectful, fun and loving place. She's 8th grade this year and an amazing person.

I can control what she's exposed too, decrease her stress levels and she is far more confident. She gets to choice her extra curricular activities and she is in the process of starting her "career" in music. I am very proud of her.

I found that the school districts were too archaic in what they are teaching our children and HOW they are teaching our children. Many of the administrators are lazy, worn down and just plain ol complacent when it comes to reaching out to families and meeting the needs of the whole child and not a government map of what a child should be, where they should be or when they should be. I could understand with my child not being a disciplinary issue at all, how she kept getting the "short" end of the stick. So, eventually, I got tired of battling ignorant people that were supposed to know more than me. Having come from a family of Ph.d's in education,( I have a degree in early child edu) I knew what to look for and what I should be hearing, I got fed up with mediocre results and excuses. I left and heard later so did many teachers from k on up to 5th grade. Wow. Signs that the entire school system needs to be revamped. Question is why is it taking the government so long to change? They are teaching our children the same materials since the 1940's!!!! They are just now revamping their lunches thanks to Michelle Obama! :rolleyes: *bout time*

I highly recommend home schooling. My daughter is flourishing and doesn't miss the school environment at all. I can rest easy knowing she is getting exactly what she needs and while doing so creating an individual that will flourish instead of perish in this society.

I am fortunate to be in a position where I can home school my child. She is a straight A student and loves to learn. Her mind is more open now than in school and she is more relaxed as she gets that one on one time. We plan field trips, take advantage of learning opportunities to deepen her experiences and find that it has built our relationship to a respectful, fun and loving place. She's 8th grade this year and an amazing person.

I can control what she's exposed too, decrease her stress levels and she is far more confident. She gets to choice her extra curricular activities and she is in the process of starting her "career" in music. I am very proud of her.

I found that the school districts were too archaic in what they are teaching our children and HOW they are teaching our children. Many of the administrators are lazy, worn down and just plain ol complacent when it comes to reaching out to families and meeting the needs of the whole child and not a government map of what a child should be, where they should be or when they should be. I could understand with my child not being a disciplinary issue at all, how she kept getting the "short" end of the stick. So, eventually, I got tired of battling ignorant people that were supposed to know more than me. Having come from a family of Ph.d's in education,( I have a degree in early child edu) I knew what to look for and what I should be hearing, I got fed up with mediocre results and excuses. I left and heard later so did many teachers from k on up to 5th grade. Wow. Signs that the entire school system needs to be revamped. Question is why is it taking the government so long to change? They are teaching our children the same materials since the 1940's!!!! They are just now revamping their lunches thanks to Michelle Obama! :rolleyes: *bout time*

I highly recommend home schooling. My daughter is flourishing and doesn't miss the school environment at all. I can rest easy knowing she is getting exactly what she needs and while doing so creating an individual that will flourish instead of perish in this society.

I agree, but my kids just did better in an atmosphere that they were able to relax in. No matter how I tried, my voice would make them freeze up. And when they were chided, it only made things worst. All they saw was authority.

But I still home school them after school and when they are not in school. I can not put their sole education in the hands of the school system.

Peace!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back