Black Education / Schools : More black parents turning to home schooling

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by MsInterpret, Sep 27, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    More black parents turn to home schooling as alternative

By Christopher Nelson

4:58 PM on 09/27/2010

[​IMG]
    The Carter family are shown here during celebrating Jolene's eight grade graduation: Janae, Derek, Jolene, Cheryl and Jarrett. (Photo courtesy of Cheryl Carter)

More than 15 years ago when Cheryl Carter's oldest child, her son Jarrett, was just starting school, she and her husband were committed to sending him to a good public school. The family had moved to Long Island, New York for that expressed purpose -- quality schools. But soon Cheryl Carter had an epiphany of sorts, which opened her to a whole new world: home schooling.

As a young boy, Jarrett was incredibly active. Carter said her son's teachers didn't know what to do to harness his energy, capture his attention, and tap into his imagination. As a mother, her instincts told her that without the right support, Jarrett could be turned off from school. The local public school wasn't failing her family yet, but she didn't want things to go that far. The job of inspiring Jarrett fell to her.

"I wanted to instill in him a joy for learning," she said.

Jarrett, now 20 and a college junior, was just six when his mom began home schooling him. Then came his two sisters, Janae and Jolene. Neither of the girls ever attended traditional school. For the Carter family and a lot of other families like them, home schooling works.

According to the National Home Education Research Institute there are more than 2 million home schooled children in the United States. The institute also says what while home schooling was once considered a different type of experience, it's now considered a readily available option and in the mainstream.

Cheryl Carter said that when she first started, she didn't know many other families who home-schooled, never mind African-American families like hers who had made the same decision.

For some, the number of African-American home-schoolers may come as a surprise, but Dr. Brian Ray, president of the National Home Education Research Institute, said the rate of African-American home-schoolers is growing at the same rate as home-schoolers of other races, about 5 to 12 percent per year.

"When African-American families choose to home school, by and large, it's for the exact same reasons that anyone else home schools," Ray said.

READ MORE:
    http://www.thegrio.com/education-1/diverse-students-find-common-reasons-for-home-schooling.php

2. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I recommended this for anybody that is thinking about doing it. The class is so easy,I went to TCC and did it,you only have to show up 2 times and the rest you do at home. It worked well for my daughter but not so well for my son. He only saw/see me as daddy and authority, and both at times would freeze up and get scared for fear that they was in trouble. Everything has it's pro and cons and there is a valid reason for home schooling and public schooling. It helped my son 100 times over where my daughter was board because I always taught here above her grade level. It has paid off because she's in the 5th but reads at a 7th grade level...Yaaaaaaay :em2300:

But if I had to pick one,i would pick home schooling because you can make it to fit what ever view you have.

Peace!

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I couldn't agree more, I been saying it for the longest.

4. TXDiamond

TXDiamond Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    I am homeschooling my 14 year old and 5 year old sons and we are loving it. We get together for park days and field trips, while the PS children are stuck in a classroom. I don't limit my children to a grade level. If they are ready to learn something, I teach it to them. If they need to slow down, we slow down. They receive individual attention.

In addition, I have a homeschool site and a Black History site they can explore. I am able to reach other homeschoolers. You'll be surprised to learn how many AA/Black families have chosen to teach their children at home. :)

5. umbrarchist

umbrarchist Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    But is finding stuff interesting/fun for kids to read but simultaneously contains useful ideas/information a way to do that whether home schooled or not. That was my problem with school. The palefaces just dished out boring crap. I had to find stuff on my own.

Ultima Thule by Dallas McCord Reynolds
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/30334/30334-h/30334-h.html

um

6. Tha 144000

Tha 144000 Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    homeschooling is definitely a must in this day and age for our people

7. TXDiamond

Ratings:
    +142
    Yes, indeed!

8. TXDiamond

Ratings:
    +142

"Homeschoolers score higher than 86% of their public school peers, according to a new study called Progress Report 2009: Homeschool Academic Achievement and Demographics.

This 86th percentile is a composite score in Reading, Language, Math, Social Studies and Science.

It is based on test results of 11,739 homeschooled students from all 50 states. Tests used included the 2007-8 California Achievement Test, Iowa Tests of Basic Skills, and Stanford Achievement Test.

It has also been found that homeschoolers are successful in college.

Continue reading on Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/education-in-national/homeschoolers-score-higher-than-86-of-peers#ixzz1BuAMXyYu

Enjoy this inspirational interview and performance with Morgan and Jamie-Grace Harper in Atlanta, GA at a homeschool conference. http://vimeo.com/12267650

9. Tha 144000

Tha 144000 Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    yes, if this is a trend within the black community that is definitely a good thing.
    there is a school in columbus, ohio http //www columbus.k12.oh.us/cas/
    i believe they have a good program that works with homeschoolers to help children get college accredited courses.

10. umbrarchist

umbrarchist Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +100