Black People : More Black Men in Jail Than in College in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Aqil, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    By Oliver Burkeman
    The Guardian

More Black men in the United States are behind bars than are in higher education, according to a new study by a Washington DC think tank.

Following a boom in prison construction and an increase in the numbers of people being incarcerated for non-violent crimes, there were 791,600 Black men in American prisons and county jails in 2000, and only 603,032 enrolled in colleges and universities, according to the Justice Policy Institute, which favors alternatives to imprisonment.

"If we were saying that more white, middle-class men were being sent to prison than to college, the president would have to declare a state of emergency," said Vincent Schiraldi, the organization's president.

The study shows a five-fold increase in the number of incarcerated Black men over the past 20 years. In 1980, 143,000 were in jail and 463,700 in higher education...

See the entire article at:

http://www.black-network.com/jailbound.htm

2. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    thank you brother aqil for droping this article
    this is crazy that more brothers are in jail then college...has the goverment even cared to look into this problem? no, because they are the ones that have set up the bum rush...why is it that white america is so afraid of the black man? i work for chicago public schools and there is no high ranking black males at the central office in downtown chicago...i see every other race and gender, except for native -american, in high offices...is it because the black male is not associated with education? i don't know...
    at this rate, by the year 2020 we will have over 2 million brothers in jail, no freedom, no life, no procreation, no hope...this is abysmal...:(
    one love
    khasm

3. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah, but some have criticized the reports because they count all black males as opposed to college aged. I don't know if that makes a difference in logic or not.

This is a further chasm that society is creating to kill out Black men.... I don't know about Native American males.... but the article that came out and the study that stated that Native American grandparents are first in number of those who have to raise grandkids because of a high incarceration rate... with Black American grandparents second was alarming.

Again, even with the obviousness of what they are doing--- how they are creating plantations for Black American males; in one way or another... Black males seem to willingly be signing up for service. I guess then, they will fight each other on who can play plantation overseer... and beat the hell outta Kunta Kinta...."What's your name boy?"

Enough is not Enough.....yet.

4. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    All too correct...

Hi CurrentCase.
    You are quite right about how we read and how we believe statistics.
    And we must always realize and be aware that we are outnumbered by 7 or 8 to 1...
    for example; while the underreported White Welfare stats are somewhere between 23 and 25 percent... if you crunch those numbers you will find that that is something like 10 million more reported White welfare recipients than there are Black Americans in this country.

Great point.