Black People : More black boys being born than girls?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by karmashines, Apr 3, 2005.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    In my area, which is predominantly black, I have noticed that while it seems there are more females to males for the older generation, the new generation coming up seems to be more male. Even in my own family, the new births seem to be of black boys.

I have talked with others who have agreed with my observation. Has anyone else here on the board noticed this? If things do happen to turn for the next generation, how do you think it would affect the dynamic of relationships and family in the black community?

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    You ask a very good quieston, I'll be back :bye: gotta ponder this one :thinking:

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I recently heard that there have always been a higher number of male births than female births. However males have a higher mortality rate than females. Therefore once adulthood is reached, females usually outnumber males. If the rate holds steady, how would in effect relationships in our community? Too soon to tell......

4. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Well, what I have observed are healthy babies and children, that are likely to reach adulthood.

I think traditionally, there have been more females than males in society because men get killed off in war. For the black community this trend continues because young men get imprisoned or killed off in gangs.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    there are more female than male births.
    95 males for every 100 females.

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    That is what I always believed, until I saw a recent report which contradicted it. Can you post a link to your source brother James?

7. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hmmmm...Now what I have heard that there are actually more males born than females, but the males tend to be more sickly at birth. I'll try to look this information up.

8. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    What we need to also consider about this male/female balance or imbalance is, there are factors that don’t receive a lot of news, such as dangerous low-end jobs, that inflict injury and death on many African Americans males. Black men are suffering from mental health issues, strokes, diabetes and other crippling ailments and diseases at much earlier ages, also alcohol, drug abuse and homelessness.

Even if any of these, debilitating health issues are slightly higher than other communities the affects along with what has been already mentioned (incarceration and murder rates), can make a small numerical imbalance exponentially higher and with severe consequences.

9. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    In my area, which is predominantly black, I have noticed that while it seems there are more females to males for the older generation, the new generation coming up seems to be more male. Even in my own family, the new births seem to be of black boys.

I have talked with others who have agreed with my observation. Has anyone else here on the board noticed this? If things do happen to turn for the next generation, how do you think it would affect the dynamic of relationships and family in the black community?

I agree with PanAfrica, I think this is by natural design to produce more males than females.

Men are needed in larger quantities because historically we tend to die more from warfare, exposure, accidents, and strenuous labor.

But I've been saying for a few years now that while everyone seems to have noticed a shortage of black men....I'm seeing a shortage of black WOMEN!

Everytime I go to a party or coffee house, I'm surrounded by a crowd of :yo: G'd up bruthaz in gold chains ready, willing, and able to compete with the first half-way decent looking sista that walks through the door.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. more black boys born than black girls but black boys die