Pan Africanism : Monique Maddy - Learning to Love Africa

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Destee, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Learning To Love Africa - Monique Maddy

http://www.moniquemaddy.com

[GOOGLE]5423528636032352921[/GOOGLE]​

Upon graduating from Harvard Business School, Maddy, born in Liberia and educated in Britain and the U.S., relocates to Tanzania to execute a start-up business providing telephone service. With the excitement attendant to starting a new company and the soul-searching of a young woman on a mission, Maddy brings personal experience and a different perspective on the troubled history of conquest and colonization of Africa, including the resettlement of American slaves in Liberia. Having worked for the UN, Maddy also brings a perspective on capitalism versus the benevolent efforts of world organizations. She contrasts their ineffectiveness with the entrepreneurial heritage of the Mandingo, who have an extensive network of trade and finance throughout Africa, as well as her father's business enterprises and the foreign investment of Firestone and other companies in small, isolated towns that stand in stark contrast to the chaos of the surrounding country. Maddy is ultimately disappointed when her enterprise fails owing to local corruption, ineptitude, and bureaucracy, and she struggles to maintain her vision for self-reliance and entrepreneurialism in Africa.

Enjoy!

:heart:

Destee

2. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I think a part of her presentation is missing.

I found a few things interesting about what she said. I'm trying not to be critical of her message...or what she's trying to do. Nevertheless, I will leave well enough alone. I wonder if others will get from this what I got from it.

Peace, Fam.

3. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Reason for Hope and Optimism"

Unfortunately, for at least some years to come, Africa will continue to rely at least partly on "traditional" approaches to foreign and emergency aid. However, if the continent is to make a serious, lasting, and sustainable dent in the incidence of poverty and its devastating and debilitating consequences, it will have to do so the old-fashioned way, primarily relying on businesses, intrepid entrepreneurs, and good governance by its leaders. There is ample reason for hope and optimism, including significant advances in the areas of technology, medicine, and science, and the application of important economic reforms by a new generation of leaders.

The fact is that all countries started out poor, and all countries emerged from poverty by literally working their way out of it. Take the most recent examples of China and India, where foreign aid is a microscopic share of income. Both of these countries have been working their way out of poverty by increasing their own incomes by 183 percent and 84 percent, respectively, from 1995 to 2005 -- a feat fueled primarily by the energy, determination, and innovation of their own people, private investments, and wise policy and financial choices by their governments.

Africa needs investments that leave behind more than depleted mineral mines and dry oil wells. It needs investments that have a multiplier effect in terms of dollars spent and jobs created. New factories, new supply chains, distribution channels, improved infrastructure, better agricultural practices, and new markets will stimulate production and innovation in addition to consumption.

On the policy side, the continent needs governments that ensure that its natural resources and the increased tax receipts generated are used to build better schools, hospitals, and infrastructure, all of which are critical to economic development. Governments also have to ensure that those who create the wealth are entitled to retain rewards commensurate with the risks. In short, government should not treat its wealth creators as yet another "extractive" industry.

The best way for developed countries and other major emerging market countries to help Africa out of poverty is to pursue the same business- and market-driven approaches that have historically created, and continue to create, wealth in their own countries. As it turns out, opportunism, not compassion, may prove to be the most effective and sustainable driver of poverty alleviation in Africa.

Google's first entrepreneur-in-residence, Monique Maddy was born in Liberia and educated in England and the United States. She founded the African Communications Group to create low-cost wireless telecommunications services in developing and emerging market countries. She is an elite marathon runner and the author of Learning to Love Africa: My Journey from Africa to Harvard Business School and Back (2004).

“As it turns out, opportunism, not compassion, may prove to be the most effective and sustainable driver of poverty alleviation in Africa.”

What would one expect of a Harvard Business School graduate?

Ms. Maddy with all her good intentions, has been indoctrinated into a Western Business ideology. The models she has studied, make the most sense to her. Though it has a rational, empirically proven perspective, western business notions will do little for the masses. It will keep them as serves for those in power (standard western governance).

Corvo

4. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Minus the negativism, what she said was cool...

Outside of a few negative comments that could put Black Americans against Continental Africans, I thought what she said was cool. That, and the fact that she seems to be trying to get some support from those outside of her people...which I think is not necessarly a good idea. If they help, they will try to corrupt or control her efforts.

I don't think she was harsh enough on the foreign aid to Africa. I think the bad policies which must be implimented due to funding requirements kill the economic, entrepreneurial spirit of the countries in Africa. I suggest they start anew, feeding, housing, clothing and protecting themselves with no or very little foreign aid. Once that is established, then they should branch out seeking other countries with a demand for goods produced in Africa but can e sold abroad. This will help Africa to build wealth in each country, and hence, the continent.

Independence and self-sufficiency via entreprenuerial support will help us to be accountable and responsible for Africa's future. This, and only this, should be our economic goal for Africa.

Peace, Fam.

:toast:

5. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

I watched the Ms maddy presentation and read your comments; my question is: what is the difference between her model for "bringing Africa out of poverty" and yours....you assert that her surpposition is based on "Western business notions" isnt yours?

Africa, India, and China...did not start out poor, nor are they poor today; up untill the 1970s Africa supplied 70% of the world resouces; food, energy, etc.. ..corrrupt governmet bodies who are in league with the "super powers" of the world( world bank, INF British and American government, shell, debeers etc) are the reason why the commom man in Africa sees little of the profits made from her natural resources....Africa is far from poor, do you think a rich country like china would be intersted in Africa if the continent was truly poor?

6. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

Monetary

Which comments did she make that might "put black Americans against Continental Africans"?

7. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Amnat
    Ms. Maddy's models are western, My views are very simmilar to those of traditinal African trade and commerce. Goverment corruption and elitisim is a serious problem in most, if not all African Nations. But this was not the norm in black Africa before the arrival of islam and the Euro-pigs.

8. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Her comment about enslaved Africans going back to an African country and looking down on the Africans who were there...creating a class system.

Here is my view on this. If that statement is true, then so be it. BUT, that speech, IMO, was NOT the place to state nor discuss that issue. If that statement is false, then it's much worse because she's outright lying on her own people.

IMO, that statement was to subtly or subconciously gain friendship with White folks by putting down her own people whether that statement is correct or not. That presentation was NOT the place for that. AND, if it's an outright lie, then we know who she is for sure. To add to what Corvo stated, it may be her Westernized education coming through in that statement.

With every chance we get, we should be bonding, coming together, uniting, creating an Afrikan collective mindset...not taking shots at each other or trying to tear each other down on the sly, especially in the media. Let's repair and rebuild bridges, not tear them down.

Just sharing my thoughts, Fam.

Peace.

9. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

Africa's leaders adopting the western way of life: individual over community, is the root cause of the two problems you stated above.... it is impotant to note that royal families always practiced a form of elitism, however it was not as we see today; e.g presidents having billions of pounds in swiss bank accounts while the common man starves to death.