Audio Video Web Conferencing : Money Matters

Discussion in 'Audio Video Web Conferencing' started by Alkebulan, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    i was reading the article linked n Dustyelbow's thread about saving hurting the poor. while i don't doubt their stats, i'm convinced i would save anyway, but it also got me thinking.

@ times, it seems 2 me, there is a taboo over talking about making money n the black community - or does it jus seem that way? anyway, i was wonderin f any1, besides me, would b interested n hving a discussion centered around money matters: investments, savings strategies, the stock market & how it works, bonds, u kno, stuff like that.

f there's sufficient interest, i cld tell what little i kno on sunday eve's 4 a minute or two.

any1 interested?

:read:

2. abdurratln

abdurratln Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +153
    Right now, my primary focus in on getting money to finance our African Irrigation Project. If you have any ideas on how we can move on this level, I am game.

I have tried before to talk in terms of Islamic Economics and Nkrumahist-Toutreist Economics. In other words, it is clear to me that American style capitalism will never solve our problems. In fact, I think American capitalism is in fact the casue of our problems. So, I am searching for new ways. So far, I think it will involve all of the economic resource currently available to us being utilized to advance our own development. For instance, the new Pan-African Infrastruture Develoment Fund is brought about by African governments withdrawing their pension fund money from western banks and pooling it to set up the Fund. (http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49148) Frankly, I was surprised to see that after 40 years of political independence, we are just now getting around to doing this. We need to get on board and do much more along this line.

For instance, I can envision seeing some of the mega-chruches depositing some of their money in this fund. What do yo think?

3. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    those ideas already hv an innate appeal to me, thou i'm not sufficiently familiar enuf w them to wholeheartedly endorse them just yet.

what i was hoping, was that there wld b enuf common group interest to generate som scheduled chats where any & all of these topics could b discussed, but, at present, there doesn't seem to b. i'm presently unable 2 participate in anything n the chat room - but i would luv to hear mor about the ideas u've mentioned.

i am operating within the capitalistic frame-work @ this time b/c it is the only 1 am familiar with & hv access to.