Black People : Molefi Asante Must Go, Say Students and Educators

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by RAPTOR, May 27, 2014.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    A Black Agenda Radio commentary by BAR executive editor Glen Ford

Temple University African American Studies chairman Dr. Molefi Asante figured he could both please his bosses and purge his department of leftist political thought by getting rid of W.E.B. Dubois scholar Dr. Anthony Monteiro. Instead, Asante has made himself a pariah to students and educators, and an embarrassment to Temple administrators.

Then, on May 8, Dr. Cornel West and Dr. Marc Lamont Hill joined a rally in North Philadelphia demanding Dr. Monteiro’s reinstatement and denouncing attempts to purge the radical Black tradition from Black Studies. Asante went on a witch-hunt, calling Cornel West and Marc Lamont Hill “dupes” and describing Dr. Monteiro’s student supporters, who comprise a racial and political rainbow, as “white communists.” Asante claimed the North Philadelphia community had not attended the rally, when in fact a prominent community leader had organized it. Asante slandered Dr. Monteiro as a “charlatan,” and “low-level purveyor of Marxism and anti-African ideas.”

Read more: http://www.blackagendareport.com/content/molefi-asante-must-go-say-students-and-educators

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    i attended that rally and some others......
    DSCN0114.jpg

3. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    the situation at temple illustrates why black people of this generation will move backwards.
    two highly placed and highly talented brothers cannot get along and work together.
    black people fighting while white people watch. it's a shame and an embarrassment.

4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
  5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    Dr A​

the good doctor 10x14x72.jpg

6. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    I thought Temple was fairly radical as it were. This news story may be deceptive. Getting rid of a Du Boisian scholar is far from a step in the wrong direction. No disrespect to Du Bois.

7. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I don't quite get the gist of this. So can you or anybody feel me in?:10500:

From my reading, there was no "good" reason to fire him. I didn't see where he wasn't doing his job, or not teaching.

Peace!

8. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    I just read the link: http://www.omaat.org/2014/05/15/cornel-west-backs-monteiro-temple-fights-back/

Apparently, Dr. M was hired on a year-to-year basis and Dr. A found that he was not publishing much and his scholarship was weak. I'm not too sympathetic. I've stopped being interested in "Leftist" politics. Temple reportedly has a strong Afrocentric Faculty. (White) "Leftism" isn't consistent with that.

9. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    From here:
    http://www.omaat.org/2014/04/29/crisis-shakes-temple-university/

It's asserted that it's more to do with Dr. M's activism and some Dean's disapproval. Apparently the Dean disliked Dr. M's insistence on Dr. A becoming Chair of the Department, among other activities; as the Dean is bent against the Department (trying to put non-Africans into leadership roles.)

I don't know. I should sit this one out!

10. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    "
    The Background

The protests in question called specifically for the restoration of Dr. Molefi Asante to his former position as Chair of the African-American Studies Department. Dr. Asante was ultimately reappointed as Department Chair, however Dr. Monteiro was informed of the impending expiration of his contract shortly after.

Dr. Monteiro himself and the students who have come out to support him feel that these events are correlated. Monteiro has stated: “This is a retaliatory act and firing for the [protest] we held to get Dr. Molefi Kete Asante as the chair of the Department over [Dean Soufas’s] objections… It’s nothing except her anger… It is her getting back at me for my standing up to her bullying, pointing fingers at Black men, her authoritarian attempt to take over African American Studies and my taking the struggles for the life and integrity of our department to the Black community – those to whom we are ultimately accountable.”

Those who are working to retain Dr. Monteiro believe that this position is well-founded. “This is not the first contentious relationship Soufas has had with the professors in the [African-American] Department,” the Coalition explains. “In fact, during her tenure, eight black professors have left the department.”"​

http://www.omaat.org/2014/04/29/crisis-shakes-temple-university/