Black Women : Modest Dressing

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Bootzey, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +866
    Peace Family,

I was wondering if any of you practiced modest dressing. If you do, how exactly do you display it and why.

Thanks,
    Peace

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I don't have my breasts and behind or midriff out. But, then, I am in my 40s, not 25. So, dressing for my age group is appropriate professionally and socially.

However, even in my 20s, I never dressed in excessively revealing clothing.

I can still be sexy without looking like a street-walker. A little "peek-a-boo" aint bad but having my butt cheeks out or breasts has never been my style. I do have nice legs, though, which look very good in some heels. So, I will show them off when I wanna strut my stuff! :em0100: (Men love 'em!) :wink:

But, most men appreciate a woman leaving something to the imagination. When a woman just "lets it all hang out," well, a man doesn't want everybody getting an eye-full of what only he should be seeing.

Well, that's my personal viewpoint, anyway.

3. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +866

I agree whole heartedly with what you have said. Do you cover your head at all or moderate your skirt length? Do you wear pants?

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I do not cover my head. Now, my skirt length depends on the environment I'll be in, but I haven't been a mini-skirt since my 20s. No 40+ woman has any business in a mini no matter how good her legs are, IMO.

Yes, I wear pants and jeans but never low-riders and fitting but not overly tight.

But, I dress for my own style and for my body type. You gotta "accentuate the positive and downplay the negative," ya know! lol Now, I'm short but top heavy with strong, firm legs, a big booty and a nice waistline. So, I wear dresses and skirts that showcase my legs and I wear tops/blouses that don't call attention to my breasts. lol

I know which colors compliment my skin tone. So I wear them. And I like certain prints too. But, I might just wear a print skirt and a solid top. (to downplay the "girls") Bright colored prints can make them look BIGGER! LOL!

Or a solid colored pant cuz when you got "junk in da trunk" like I do, again prints will make it look bigger.

And, like I said, I'm short. So, I choose pants that will add the "illusion" of some length to my legs and I'll wear a low or high heel shoe. I only wear flats or sneakers for casual attire.

So, for me, I dress for my age, my body and my personal style. For me, the "understated" look works best. I like flowing materials and tailored suits as well. Plus, my profession calls for business attire. So, my wardrobe reflects that. Casual attire is for weekends and casual dates.

5. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    depends on my mood....

When I was a teenager I had a lot of part time jobs that paid well, and I was involved in speaking so I used to buy a lot of professional business suits and conservative clothes. When I hit my twenties, for the first time in my life I realized that the opposite sex actually thought I was "sexy" and since I had a skewed sense of sexual power I sometimes wore clothes that were too provocative. At 16 years old I was date raped and it actually propelled me into more provocative clothing (subconsciously I wanted to take back my power). Now, with that said, what is provocative to me, was cat suits and mini dresses. In comparison to what I saw when I went state side, I was still considered rather conservative. However; I developed a sense of self-love and appreciation that recognized my beauty outside of sexual attention.
    Thank God!

Today in my mid-thirties, I am fortunate to have a nice physique that hasn't changed much in 10 years. I'm still a size 6 and can wear what I want. So I balance my love for classic fashion with the odd sexy dress, but I always feel proud of my attire and never feel like a street walker.

For example, if I show some cleavage, I don't wear a short skirt or vice versa. I own my power, no one else, and I make it very clear with my poise, my behavior that I respect myself and I expect others to do the same.
    If I am hosting a karaoke show, I dress up with earrings, makeup, fashion jeans and a cute top. I will show off my figure because God gave me that beauty and I don't have to hide it, but like I said I balance my sex appeal with a conservative behavior. I don't get drunk or high in public, or do anything to infer that I'm out of control. I keep the company of respectful people and my energy let's people know I'm more than a pretty face.

When I have business to attend to, I dress the part, but it's always with a personal flair for style, I love fashion and good fashion sense. Although I don't compulsively shop, I will spend good money on a classic piece because I know I'll still be able to sport that 6 - 7 years down the road.

I'm known for my good fashion sense and style, and it's been an evolution.
    Womben are so fortunate to have the freedom of personal expression that is limited to me. Men who spend too much time on their wardrobe are suspect of being gay and the industry just hasn't been as open to them.

I like my man to dress well to, not too flashy (mack daddy pimp, or GQ is not attractive, hate leisure suits, and no sagging jeans).

Modest? No, I'm not modest in my apparel - I dress to impress myself cuz I like to live everyday taking advantage of my resources. Great boots, leather accessories and classic handbags, that's for me. Plain Jane doesn't describe my style or my attitude. Showing off the goods, that's not for me either. I want to exude that I have class, from the inside out. Presentation is everything, so I believe it's good to invest in a wardrobe that works for your persona and your body type. Self-love is where it's at!

I agree with CB, no womban belongs in a mini skirt after 29!

6. LindaChavis

LindaChavis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    I am going to be 60..

..in Oct and I feel I dress appropriately, dresses, pants, skirts..etc. I dont cover my head but I have and do wear a hat at times. Now back in the day..thats another story LOL

7. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    cherryblossom,you are a very SEXY lady because the way you dress is EXACTLY what MATURE men want[are you youngsters taking notes?]heck if i was sngle i'd be chasing you all over the internet,hahaha.

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

Oh, thank you, Oldiesman! If you were single, I might even slow down so you could catch me! LOL! j/k

My honey is about to go to Germany; but when he gets back, I'm gonna have a special "fashion show" just for him! :wink:

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    i been struck blind......

i just got back from chestnut street. i seen more stuff than the average GYN.

10. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    LOL! and Ewwwww!

Users found this page by searching for:

1. modest black women